HIV Prevention and Testing > Do I Have HIV?

Condom breakage with sex worker

(1/1)

doclo:
I'll try to keep it short and simple.

I've had protected vaginal sex with a sex worker until the condom burst. Luckily, it made a pretty distinct sound, so we noticed right away, I pulled out and we stopped the intercourse (and after that I wasn't really in the mood to keep going).

Of course I don't know anything about her status, aside from her telling me I shouldn't worry. And of course I know this counts as HIV risk, and that I will have to get tested to make sure I didn't contract anything.

But, given the situation, should I rush out to a hospital to seek PEP? Would it be advised in my situation (and as insertive vaginal partner)? How worried should I be about all this?

What a crappy day made of bad decisions.

Thanks to anyone who reads and answers.

Jim Allen:
Hiya,

Look it's a real world risk

Now taking PEP over this incident is up-to-you. PEP is highly effective when started within 72 hours.

If you take PEP test at 6 weeks post finishing the PEP course with a blood-drawn HIV antibodies test to know your HIV status. A negative (non-reactive) result at that time would rarely ever change. If you wish, you can repeat this test at 3 months post finishing the PEP for a definite result, although it's generally not needed.

Here's what you need to know to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider talking to your healthcare provider about PrEP in the future as an additional layer of HIV protection

Keep in mind that some sexual practices described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and, the only way of knowing is by testing.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV?" The forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

doclo:
And in case the doctor doesn't think he/she should prescribe PEP for my situation (it has happend before, years ago), how high is the risk theoretically?

Jim Allen:
Odds are impossible to calculate for an individual.

Due to a number of factors but you would have less risk than the receptive partner. Still a real world risk though that warrents testing at the very least.

Statistics would tell us about 1-2% odds, × 25 if the person recently picked up HIV themselves, however, from that 1% you will have people who aquire HIV the first time and others who never do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version