Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:48:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 358
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 335
Total: 337

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Food & Friends - DC Salary Scandal  (Read 11811 times)

Offline freestate guy

Food & Friends - DC Salary Scandal
« on: July 19, 2008, 04:16:57 pm »
It finally made the Washington Post this week after percolating a bit in the Washington Blade. Food & Friends, the DC non-profit that provides meals to homebound persons with HIV-AIDS is paying its Executive Director an eye popping $357,447 per year. At the same time, Food&Friends has had to reduce services because of a cut back in federal AIDS-related funds that it previously received through the DC government. The agency has an $8 million budget and a staff of 58. This is the type of action that give direct service charitable organizations a bad name.  I serve on the Board of Directors of a DC area arts organization so I have some understanding about the need and difficulty to retain competent managers, the cost of living in the metro area, etc. But a salary of this magnitude simply doesn't wash and it is clearly coming at the expense of the non-profit's clients. I would never contribute to this organization again until it tightens its belt and provides more accountability.  It appears as if the AIDs/HIV community in DC has its own mini United Way scandal. Appalling

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/16/AR2008071602658.html

Mitochondriac

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
Re: Food & Friends - DC Salary Scandal
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 04:54:04 pm »
Thanks for the link!

~  Cindy in MD  (Born in Georgetown  ;)  )
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 05:04:45 pm »
But a salary of this magnitude simply doesn't wash and it is clearly coming at the expense of the non-profit's clients. I would never contribute to this organization again until it tightens its belt and provides more accountability.  It appears as if the AIDs/HIV community in DC has its own mini United Way scandal. Appalling

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/16/AR2008071602658.html

Yes, the revelation is enough to cause me to re-consider my support of Food & Friends, diverting the money to better stewards in business of feeding clients.  Still, their Board, which hides behind hiring an outside consultant (and friend of whom?) to recommend executive compensation, is attempting damage control, though I think they would do well to recognize the caring and goodwill of the community as what built the organization, not one person's management.  The following is the text of an mass email received yesterday:

Dear Supporter,

You may have read recent press coverage of nonprofit executive compensation. Here at Food & Friends, we are proud of our financial practices. It is our mission to strategically maximize the number of people we serve while ensuring the best quality service for our clients. We take budgeting and the setting of salaries very seriously, undertaking a long and detailed process to determine appropriate and competitive compensation for each staff position.

The Board of Directors rigorously reviews the quality of the work of our Executive Director, Craig Shniderman. Unlike many organizations, our board brings in a highly-regarded national consulting firm to conduct a very focused review to ensure that Craig’s salary is in line with that of other, comparable nonprofits. Since 1995, when Craig joined us, Food & Friends has grown from the basement of a church, serving 995 people annually, to a service that will provide more than 850,000 meals this year from a new $9 million kitchen and distribution center – all of which occurred, and in large part was made possible, through Craig’s tireless leadership. Our budget has grown from $2.2 million to $8.2 million, allowing us to serve more people each and every year. Craig is an executive director of the highest quality, and we have taken steps to ensure that he stays at Food & Friends.

Food & Friends works hard to ensure that administrative expenses are very low. Fully 78.92% of all money raised goes directly to caring for those facing life-challenging illnesses in our community. Likewise, we leverage the support of more than 6,500 volunteers each year to stretch every dollar we raise. Of course none of what we do at Food & Friends would be possible without the support of our community of committed donors and volunteers, for which we are truly grateful.

We know that there are many competing interests for your charitable dollar -- and those dollars are even more meaningful in this challenging economy. We pledge to continue to be good stewards of your confidence and support and to continue to provide the highest quality nutrition services, with compassion and love, to our friends and neighbors in need.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our staff or me:

John Barnes, Deputy Executive Director for Program & Development, 202.269.6870

George Bednar, Deputy Executive Director for Finance & Administration, 202.269.6838

Lisa Bandera, Communications Director, 202.269.6875

Thank you for your continued support of Food & Friends,

Robert Hall III
President, Food & Friends’ Board of Directors

http://www.foodandfriends.org/site/pp.asp?c=ggLMIYOGKrF&b=4356157&tr=y&auid=3832337
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline freestate guy

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 05:59:31 pm »
You make a good point about the involvement of the community in creating the success of the organization. I hadn't seen their e-mail to supporters and found it interesting. It seems to me that the organization and the executive director could use a dose of humility....and reality. Ironically, this probably wouldn't have been brought to light if the funding cut hadn't occurred. At least being a non-profit, there were no stock options involved. Greed, Greed, Greed
Mitochondriac

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 06:13:13 pm »
Sure looks great when everyone is emailing their congress people to increase Ryan White funding, especially with articles in The Washington Post which of course they all read daily. 

Thanks, Food & Friends!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 08:01:34 pm »
This is very interesting.  I've been a contributor to Food and Friends for over 10 years.   They gave the impression of a struggling organization on a noble mission over the years--grateful for every penny they received from donors.  When they moved to a new facility, they also expanded their services to include not only meals to many homebound HIV/AIDS clients but also those with other diseases such as cancer. Now this salary scandal.  I wonder............
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 08:03:15 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 05:21:08 am »

Why do I have this sickening feeling, that this is probably a problem that goes well beyond this article.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Cliff

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 05:29:20 am »
Seems over-the-top (pay) for a relatively small organisation.  Although the $357k figure isn't his salary, that includes the value of his benefits (insurance) and pension scheme.  He's 60.  He should save the organisation more embarrassment and retire.  Sounds like they've contributed enough to his retirement plan for him to retire relatively comfortably.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 09:18:21 am »
Whatta whopper.  :o  Imagine if you reduce it by 72% you still get 6 figures.   

Well, now that it's exposed, from now on they have no choice but to be more in line with normal.

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 11:04:13 am »
Well, now that it's exposed, from now on they have no choice but to be more in line with normal.

doubtful, alex.  the asshole said he had no intention of changing his salary.  It's nothing but pure, unadulterated greed.  That way of  thinking seems to permeate the Washington DC/ NY corridor.  Just thinking of visiting   there gives me the willies.

robert

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 11:23:27 am »
There's big money to be made in the charity biz.  I've often marvelled at how much individual profit can be derived from a non-profit organization.
It's a complex world

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 12:00:27 pm »
That way of  thinking seems to permeate the Washington DC/ NY corridor.  Just thinking of visiting   there gives me the willies.

robert

Barbara please.  In our defense the cost of living is quite expensive here.   That doesn't mean greed permeates everything, it's just a fact of life in any city around the world.  It just happens in this corridor even more because you have four large cities grouped together.

And surely no different than visiting San Francisco which you've been featuring in your avatar for a year.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 01:18:00 pm »
And surely no different than visiting San Francisco which you've been featuring in your avatar for a year.

My neighbors just got back from a vacation to San Francisco.  The hotel cost them $200/night and parking was $58/night.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline freestate guy

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 01:33:24 pm »
Hey - Unfortunately greed is everywhere, not just in the Washington-NY corridor. You gotta be vigilant everywhere. What frosts me about the Food&Friends situation is the substance of Blue Moon's observation about how much individual profit can be made from non-profit organizations out there soliciting donations and appealing to the public's better instincts and heart. It would be interesting to know the compensation of the two deputy executive directors and the compensation drop-off to the worker-bee employees at the organization. I don't know anybody there, but I'm sure somebody will check the IRS 990 form. Clearly, the Board of Directors had too cozy of a relationship with the Executive Director and that clouded its judgement. In my view, this isn't even a close call.
Mitochondriac

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 03:32:29 pm »
Every not-for-profit agency/ fund/ trust must submit annual financial data to maintain their status as not-for -profit.....  unfortunately as little as a 5% payout ,although marginal, will continue to qualify....The best of them approach a 90% payout  I have seen the annual listing of how each of the major charities performs  regarding  intake vs payout.....
Each of them is required to allow you to see/ get copies of their performance on request...so before you commit too much money be sure to see what portion will actually be used for "services vs overhead"
There is an annual summary of the major organizations published, I will try to find that and post a link...
Some of my favorite ones have rotten records of less that 40% payout...they spend most of the rest on solicitation ,  so somebody is getting rich printing all that junk mail you throw away
Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 05:05:55 pm »
According to their form 990 for 2006 Craig was paid $253,318.00 and his benefits were $81,233.00  The 2 Executive Directors earned $330,250.00 between them in salary and benefits. The other 3 directors receiced between 80-87K in salary and benefits.

This information is always available and to me is only news if Craig's salary is much higer than other Executive Directors in the same business. 

The CEO of The Whitman Walker Clinic only received $169,524.00 with no benefits listed and having 3 times the gross receipts as Food and Friends.

I don't know wheter one position deserves more compensation that another but evidently the Board at Food and Friends must think they are getting what they are paying for.

Offline freestate guy

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 10:41:30 pm »
dgr20002 - Thanks for looking up the Food & Friends IRS Form 990. I did not realize that the most recent data available goes back only to 2006. Assuming the Washington Post article is correct, the Executive Director is now making $281,000 in 2008 (a 4% raise over $270,290 from last year; and $253,318 in 2006). There is no information whether or not the deferred compensation ($55,839 in 07) or other insurance and pension contributions ($31,318 in 07) were increased as well for 2008. Total  compensation in 2007 is stated as $357,447. With respect to the two deputy executive directors, in 2006, they each had compensation packages of over $150,000. You know that their compensation packages have only increased since then. Thats a lot of compensation for three individuals in an organization that now has to cut back critical services.

With respect to comparable agencies, the Post article mentions the salaries and benefits of the Capital Area Food Bank ($127,756: budget $33 m); Bread for the City ($102,627; $3.9 million budget); D.C. Central Kitchen ($81,457; $6.7 million budget); Whitman-Walker Clinic ($169,524; $22 million budget). I checked the Form 990 for Moveable Feast in Baltimore and the former Executive Director reported total compensation in 2006 of approximately $107,457. If I read the Moveable Feast form correctly, it had gross revenues of approximately $2 million in 2006.

I know that you were not taking a position on the Executive Director's compensation. Clearly, though, his compensation is much much higher than comparable executive directors to the point of being excessive. It is newsworthy and, I think, unfortunate for the organization. Having served on a compensation committee for an non-profit for several years, I do not know what the Board could have been thinking in allowing this.
Mitochondriac

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 11:16:47 pm »
Moveable Feast in Baltimore and the former Executive Director reported total compensation in 2006 of approximately $107,457. If I read the Moveable Feast form correctly, it had gross revenues of approximately $2 million in 2006.

You read it correctly and it was just over 2 Million.

The dererred compensation agreement was entered into in March of 2004 and extends until Dec 31 2008. The anount reported is $52,678.00

No, I am not taking a position on his salary or benefits as I do not know all of the details or his experience and on and on.  So what will we get out of all of this?  A negative image of poz agencies for a bit and no change.

Food & Friends does a lot of good in this region and to do it well you need to pay the top people well or they go elsewhere. 

Offline freestate guy

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 11:34:30 pm »
I think the image of poz agencies has been tarnished by this. I don't know the guy but I think they need to find some new and less expensive talent. Its out there. The Board can't go on giving 4% raises on his salary base. Its nuts and out of line. It is not uncommon for this type of thing to happen with a founder executive director or one who has been responsible for much of the organization's growth. Basically, the ED drives the organization and sometimes benefits disproportionately, particularly when he or she effectively controls the Board. To the extent that the Board is independent, it needs to reassert control and get out of its comfort zone. You are right, Food and Friends does a lot of good. Thats why this hurts so much.
Mitochondriac

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 11:35:36 pm »
And this was mentioned upthread but I want to throw it out there again if you missed it.  It is a letter in response to the Post article. I would not call it "damage control" at all.

http://www.foodandfriends.org/site/pp.asp?c=ggLMIYOGKrF&b=4356157&tr=y&auid=3832337

And lets not forget one of the Non-profits mentioned was the Whitman Walker Clinic.  They had their own scandal and have since sold their HQ in DC for 8 Million to get out of debt.  They were certainly no role model and perhaps had they paid more they would not be in the shambles they are in.

I was in Food and Friends many times when it was at 58L Street in SE Washington, I was very impressed with it when I was there. They have since moved to a bigger place and are serving more people than before.  

I think it stinks that somee blogger in SF stirs all this up without having any clue what is going on here.

OK I'm done.

David

Offline freestate guy

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 12:21:42 am »
David - Thanks for the full statement by the Board. I still feel that the compensation package seems way excessive. There are always political and economic dimensions when setting salary and benefits and this appears to cross the line from a perspective of the outside. In the end, it will be the donors, small and large, who will determine whether the Board's decision was a good. My reaction as a little guy is negative. I know it sounds petty but I would not send my $250 to the organization knowing that it is going to support a compensation package like the ED has.  Knowing that money is fungible, its hard not to think that the waiting list couldn't be reduced a little bit if the compensation wasn't as high as reported. Right or wrong, thats the way people think. I would reiterate my view that the Board need to think beyond this ED and go in a different direction. He certainly is not indispensable. If he is as talented as the Board said in its statement, he should have no problem finding another position (although the salary may be hard to shop). I don't think circling the wagons is the way for the Board to go.
Ben
Mitochondriac

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 02:05:44 am »
The compensation is WAY excessive. I live in the DC area own my own place, work full time and I don't make even half the amount quoted for this executives salary. Keep in mind too many of the executives running these Hiv charitable organizations don't even have a wife and kids to support (not that their salary should be less because of this). But how much money does one person need? Especially running a charitable organization?

The sad thing is I have donated many times to Food and Friends and I have known many people that have volunteered their own time for using their cars to deliver food to people with Aids etc. Food and Friends always gives out information that they are struggling. I just donated money again to the Aids ride which I think Food and Friends sponsors. I know they also do a lot of good, but I just wonder why it is so many charitable groups end up having scandals where a few people get paid a lot of money but yet the group states it's struggling?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 02:08:46 am by DCGUY2007 »

Offline Petrelis

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 05:22:06 pm »
Glad to see this debate happening here. All AIDS/HIV service orgs need to be continuously monitored, to see how they are compensating themselves, especially in these bleak economic times.

If you don't already regularly read the IRS 990 forms available for free at http://www.GuideStar.org, I suggest you start doing so. There can never be enough eyes, and eyes of PWAs, reading the tax returns for AIDS groups.

And to the guy who posted an earlier message kvetching about this SF blogger stirring up trouble for the F&F group and their greedy director, I want to say the problem is not me reading IRS 990 forms from F&F. The real issue is Craig Shniderman's $357,000 compensation.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 07:50:28 pm »
Hey, Michael -- welcome to our forums!

Gang, check out Michael Petrelis' great blog at:

http://mpetrelis.blogspot.com/

Michael and I go WAY, WAY back.  LOL.

Peter

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 09:19:54 pm »
That was me that said it Michael :-)  And really what we are talking about here is a Total Compensation Package. We all know that term. It is your salary and your benefits all put together.  I do look at guidestar and that's where I get my info and I encourage all here to do the same with their local organizations.

Since the 2006 990 is all that is available on Guidestar I will start there.  It Craig made only $253,318.00 in that year would that make anyone feel better?  Well that is exactly what his salary was. The other $81,233.00 were his benefits.  Now the form 990 does not break down in what manner these benefits are paid. For example say I make 30K a year and have decent benefits and I get blood tests and medicines and visit the doc regularly and go to the dentist etc. We all know how much all this costs. My benefits in this case are more than my salary almost in drug coverage alone. So it could be said that my compensation then might be $75000.00 or so once we add the pay and benefits together. So it not right to use the total compensation as to what Craig makes. And you know he doesn't take that amount home either. That's the pre tax money.

The letter that Robert P. Hall wrote in reply to the Post article I think is genuine.  Robert is not a paid employee he is the president and devotes about 10 hours a week with no pay or benefit. Furthermore there are 19 board members (part V-A line 75a). How could this have gone on unchecked amongst all 19 of them?

I think we can draw conclusions about the quality of an organization based on the compensation of top management. Year after year F&F has demonstrated they are a a top notch organization and this can be demonstrated by examining their sources of income.  They get the majority of their funds fron govt grants and direct public support. They do it because they are providing the specialized services by way of nutrition counseling and specialized meals to more than 2000 people living with HIV/AIDS and other life challenging illnesses.

My question to all of those that say he is overpaid is what would you consider adequate compensation and where exactly would you apply the money you save?  Sure you can get someone cheaper but if services suffer those govt grants and public contributions could be reduced.  That is what would really hurt the people that F&F's serves.

It might also interest you to know that the govt contributes more each year to F&F's as well.

2006-$2,461,412.00
2005-$1,795,978.00
2004-$1,804.074.00

Also in 2006 F&F contributed to the New Orleans AIDS Task Force 20K and to The Congressional Hunger Center right here on Capitol Hill $5,354.00
In 2004 there was $4,127,064.00 spent on program services in 2005 $4,720,903.00 and in 2006 $5,067,699.00  So they have been expanding each year.

It is also interesting to note that in 2004 Craig's salary was $230,806.00 and in 2005 it was down to $215,955.00 and of course 2006 was $253,318.00

I think F&F is undoubtedly the best run nonprofit in Washington and as such is entitled to pay its top exec what they deem necessary for the continued success of the Organization.

David

Offline freestate guy

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 11:05:57 pm »
David - You seem to be forgetting that this is a non-profit and that the Executive Director has two highly paid deputy directors making over $150,000 each to assist him in day to day administration. While not to minimize the logistical and fundraising challenges associated with F&F, this is not NASA and there are lots of non-profit executive directors and government administrators doing a great job of managing more complex programs and larger budgets for significantly lower dollars. I'm not sure I understand your statement that "we can draw conclusions about the quality of an organization based on the compensation of top management". Hello, Enron, and all those wonderful examples in the for-profit sector! While I believe that organizations need to be fair to employees, including top management, I generally think that those on the leaner side tend to perform more efficiently.

In terms of what an appropriate compensation package is, I think you have to look at the comparables that were discussed in the upthread as a starter. While I am reluctant to get into a discussion of what the current ED should be making, I will say that I think that the organization could attract a quality go-getter talent in the DC area at the $175,000 level. F&F's problem is that it has already set the bar outrageously high.  As to where I would put the savings (and not knowing the organization at all) - I'd look down the food chain at the lower level employees like the dieticians and others on the front line who are probably feeling the pinch of gas, food, and housing costs.  Hopefully, the organization has not scrimped on those folks.  In any event, it could probably do better in these tough times. Not sure that I fully understand the details of the so called cut backs that are alleged to be taking place, but it might be nice to be able to provide food for a few more needy people.

Ben

Mitochondriac

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 11:42:33 pm »
Well then we will have to agree to disagree then. The other organizations mentioned do not compare because there missions are vastly different.  DC Central Kitchen for example has the same number of employees and close to the same revenue but money that goes to feeding people is much much less. Also DCCK does a lot of training and traveling around the country giving lectures. For the same year 2006 DCCK had net assets at the begining of the year of (99,290.00) compared to F&F 11,241,853.00   Clearly F&F has a lot more to manage and a much wider area to manage it in and also does more fundraising.

Whitman Walker is a whole nother story as they were totally a mess and sold their HQ to get out of the debt.

You know it really doesn't matter to me what he is paid nor that it is a non-profit. I just hated to see the guy maligned so the Post could get a headline. 

My comment about drawing conclusions means that if you look at an organization that runs well and is a role model in the region you might ask what are they doing so well. I just say they are paying good people to do a good job.  When there are complaints from those served then it deserves a closer look.  Like I said before there are 19 members of the board. 19. And they are standing behind the guy!

Nothing is going to change as a result of this. So we have a few Ralph-Nader wanna bes raising a stink. So what.

David

Offline Robert

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 01:17:57 am »
And to the guy who posted an earlier message kvetching about this SF blogger stirring up trouble for the F&F group and their greedy director, I want to say the problem is not me reading IRS 990 forms from F&F. The real issue is Craig Shniderman's $357,000 compensation.

Michael.

Well, I want to thank the guy who posted the earlier message about your blog.  Thanks to him, I've now added you to my 'favorites' and check you out daily.

The company here just keeps getting better and better.

ROBERT

PS...so as to not hijack the thread, let me add again this is a matter of nothing but greed.  His intentions were good but they've long since gone out the window.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 01:23:18 am by Robert »

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 01:28:46 am »
It Craig made only $253,318.00 in that year would that make anyone feel better? 

No. I know physicians that make half that salary and they are really helping people.

Offline Petrelis

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2008, 01:54:31 pm »
>Nothing is going to change as a result of this. So we have a few Ralph-Nader wanna bes raising a stink. So what.<

I think a lot has already changed, as a result of both the Blade article and the piece that ran in the Post. Great awareness about Craig's greedy salary has been achieved, along with making lots of people aware of the IRS 990 forms and that they are available for free on the web at GuideStar.org.

Even though I've not been privy to any discussions at F&F, or any AIDS groups in DC or elsewhere, I believe they're all had internal debates about executive compensation, declining donations and govt grants, and how the public perceives their stewardship of millions of dollars.

Getting the groups to re-examine salaries and always trying to meet the needs of clients first, executives last, is no easy feat but is happening now, at least in the DC area, because of the stink raised.

And actually the stink is really not about bringing media attention to the F&F IRS 990 and Craig's avarice. The stink, if you can call it that, is much more about Craig's unwillingness to consider a salary cut. Talk about selfishness!

>Michael. >Well, I want to thank the guy who posted the earlier message about your blog.  Thanks to him, I've now added you to my 'favorites' and check you out daily.<

My eyelashes flutter at your flattery! Did you check out my entries about New Yorker editors, like the woman who chooses the covers, making big donations to Obama? I like raking the muck, sharing it on my blog, and then having people like important New York media types, like Hertzberg, pick up on my concerns. Tell your friends about my blog too.

>No. I know physicians that make half that salary and they are really helping people.<

Damn, that queer steer boy is cute. And he raised an important issue: what other helpers to PWAs get compensated.

Having requested salary info from the public info office at SF DPH, I know that the average salary for doctors at the local clinic level were last year making about $176,000. That is below what I'm sure they can make in the private world, and their responsibilities, keeping PWAs and all patients healthy and alive, is much bigger than some EDs.

And let's compare one AIDS food back ED with another.

According to the 2007 IRS 990 report from F&F, the budget was $7.6 million and Craig ‘Mother Theresa” Shniderman was compensated $357,447 for his services.

Compared those numbers with the 2007 IRS 990 report at GuideStar(dot)org for San Francisco’s AIDS food program, Project Open Hand.

POH’s budget for 2007 was $10.9 million and the executive director, Tom Nolan, received $182,880 in compensation.

So POH had a larger budget than F&F, but the director was not as greedy as Craig at F&F.

This debate about ED compensation is very beneficial towards the health and well-being of PWAs.

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2008, 06:17:30 pm »
You made excellent and valid points Michael.  One other thing to look at is how the organizations invest their monies. F&F makes a lot of different investments and makes money on all of them. I do not know how much of that income from those investments can be attributed to Craig. Maybe some maybe none.

My whole point was simply that they are doing many things right over there and if this compensation issue is way out of line then lets see if the Board of 19 members does anything about it. I know I will be watching to see what becomes of all of it. 

David

Offline freestate guy

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2008, 11:38:53 pm »
Not that I needed convincing at all, but Michael your compensation information on Project Open Hand in SF was dispositive (sort of speak) for me. Thanks for all your efforts on this. Executive compensation is an important discussion for any non-profit, not just F&F. Lots of folks, though, will be watching this unfold, particularly the poz community and the organization's many donors and supporters. Hopefully, the Board will take the necessary steps to restore confidence and emerge a stronger organization. As I said in an earlier post, circling the wagons is not the way for the Board to go.
Mitochondriac

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 12:39:13 am »
the Washington DC/ NY corridor.  Just thinking of visiting   there gives me the willies.

Yes, there are many willy's, semi's and stiffy's here  ;D

Did someone already ask this, but couldn't one argue that the government could spend the same amount (or more) and accomplish far less? Like, that's the point of a non profit right? To supposedly do a more direct, more efficient job in a niche?

Offline Petrelis

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2008, 09:16:33 pm »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.