Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 10:55:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773455
  • Total Topics: 66366
  • Online Today: 324
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 300
Total: 300

Author Topic: "Undetectable" and home testing kits  (Read 6372 times)

Offline longfellow

"Undetectable" and home testing kits
« on: August 07, 2016, 01:05:18 pm »
I see many people who list their status as "undetectable".  Does this mean a home test kit will not find the infection?

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: "Undetectable" and home testing kits
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 01:36:12 pm »
No.  In context of an HIV-positive person, "undetectable" means the viral load (HIV level) in a blood sample is below a given test's standard of measurement.  HIV is still present, but in amounts so small the test can't detect the amount.

HIV antibodies are still present, however, so a valid home test kit will determine that the person is HIV positive.  People who are undetectable will always test positive for HIV (once positive, always positive).

The reason it's important for an HIV-positive person to become "undetectable" is to stop the virus from replicating within the body (which, in turn, allows the immune system to recover) and to assure that the HIV will not be transmitted to others.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 02:11:49 pm »
I see many people who list their status as "undetectable".  Does this mean a home test kit will not find the infection?

I fully agree with Patrk post.

However why did you ask this question? Did you have a risk?  Why are you testing?

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline longfellow

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 03:08:13 pm »
Actually I'm fairly inactive at this point, but on some of the "social" sites I see people mentioning that they're "undetectable", and I just wondered if that applied also to the tests.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 03:15:36 pm »
Right I see.

Well I am going to move your thread, so others can chime in as your question is not about risk but more about prevention.

So "undetectable" Look I am still saying practice safer sex, use condoms & lube,
there are other STI's on the market  :P

However as education part this would fall under: Treatment-as-prevention (TasP) this is use of antiretroviral (ARV) medication to decrease the risk of HIV transmission. Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP)
HIV TasP

This has been studied at length and to mention 1 of the studies as an example the "Partner" study is a major study looking at the chances of transmitting HIV with an undetectable viral load, there have been no transmissions between either gay or heterosexual serodiscordant partners.

Partner study
transmission-zero

Finally the The Swiss statement reads "An HIV-infected person on antiretroviral therapy with completely suppressed viraemia (“effective ART”) is not sexually infectious, i.e. cannot transmit HIV through sexual contact.”

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions. As you are sexually active, it is highly recommended that you get a full sexual health check-up / screening at least annually including but not limited to hiv testing.

Remember that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's. So please do get fully tested regularly for all STI's including HIV and more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs. Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

Finally use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, to avoid sexually transmitted hiv infection.

Kind regards

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.