Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:24:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 217
Total: 219

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New Puppy?  (Read 4226 times)

Offline wolfter

New Puppy?
« on: March 08, 2012, 10:54:15 am »
Last summer my nephew, a junior at Ohio U. purchased (financed) a Teacup Yorkie.  I was angry with him as I've worked closely with animal rescue groups through the years and believe rescuing is more important than designer pets.  But anyhoo, that's not the point.

I questioned his wisdom of during this during college.  Caseloads, studying, part time job and a social life.  When will he have time to work with a puppy?  I predicted the novelty would wear off and he'd be looking for a home.  Well, I got the call last night asking if I would watch his now young adult Yorkie who hasn't had adequate training.  He says it'll only be for a while.  He hasn't defined what that means. 

He arrived here first thing this morning.  Dog in hand.  I've not agreed yet.  I don't know if it's appropriate to take the dog in, train her, love her and then allow him to take her away from me in the future.  If I decide to do this, an agreement will signed to time limits, obligations and such.  There's a point that she will be mine if I have her long enough.  He'll still have adequate visitation.  Every other weekend and one week in the summer... ;D

Wolfie

Edited to add a photo of her and I from last Fall.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:56:35 am by wolfter »
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
Re: New Puppy?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 11:10:07 am »
She's cute.  I'd say keep her.  Hopefully you'll be able to train her as needed. 
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Raf

• Bald by choice
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 11:27:04 am »
OMG, a teacup yorkie! I have one, and it's the queen of the house, she does anything she wants, and is bossy as hell lol.

I would keep her/him too, but anyway, it's your call at the end and if you cannot give him/her the proper attention, you might just refuse.
Dx: 05/14/2008
Latest HIV Meds combo I've been taking:

Kaletra + Combivir (since 05/16/2008 - 05/09/2019)
Acriptega (05/10/2019 - today)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 11:32:46 am »
OMG, a teacup yorkie! I have one, and it's the queen of the house, she does anything she wants, and is bossy as hell lol.

I would keep her/him too, but anyway, it's your call at the end and if you cannot give him/her the proper attention, you might just refuse.

It's my nephew who doesn't provide the proper attention.  I've worked with dogs pert near my entire life.  My Miss Lily, who I rescued 11 years ago is perfectly trained.  I provide the love and support along with my training regiments.  My issue is falling in love with her and then 6 months later or so, him deciding to take her back.  I couldn't have imagined giving up my Miss Lily after even a week, let alone months later.  I love my dogs more than I do most people.   ;D

Wolfie

Offline Raf

• Bald by choice
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 06:23:14 pm »
It's my nephew who doesn't provide the proper attention.  I've worked with dogs pert near my entire life.  My Miss Lily, who I rescued 11 years ago is perfectly trained.  I provide the love and support along with my training regiments.  My issue is falling in love with her and then 6 months later or so, him deciding to take her back.  I couldn't have imagined giving up my Miss Lily after even a week, let alone months later.  I love my dogs more than I do most people.   ;D

Wolfie

Then I would tell him that, you have other things to take care off than being a 24/7 puppy nanny. If he gives you the dog, the dog stays with you. It's just too cruel to separate from any dog after a time  :'(
Dx: 05/14/2008
Latest HIV Meds combo I've been taking:

Kaletra + Combivir (since 05/16/2008 - 05/09/2019)
Acriptega (05/10/2019 - today)

Offline weasel

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 07:49:29 pm »

Very  Cute , So is the puppy    ;)

I would have to say  you get to keep her or do not bother .

I love dogs and  Cats   and can't  bare the pain when one is injured

Or badly    treated or God forbid   dies !   

Tell Nephew you will take her but he does not get her back !   

Training a dog is a long and rewarding thing ,   If Nephew needs a training

Facility tell him to find one  .

Best of luck !  , Weasel   :-*
" Live and let Live "

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 09:20:18 pm »
Agreed, The dog should stay with you permanently.  I would lose my mind if something were to happen to my dog.  You shouldn't have to bare the pain of him taking her back.  Its all or nothing.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline wolfter

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 09:53:56 pm »
We worked out the logistics after coaxing him to tell me the truth.  Lordy I don't understand young people.  When I was his age, I already was living with HIV and struggled to maintain a livelihood and be responsible for myself.  Somehow I think we skipped instilling those values to some of this generation.

So, the real story is that it's against his lease to have a dog.  He has been hiding her basically the entire time he has had her.  Once they found out, they required a non-refundable $400 pet deposit and addition to another $25 per month fee.  He doesn't have the funds and my sister only laughed when he requested it from her.  She already purchased him a car that he wrecked and we repaired.  Pays his college expenses and supplies him with a little extra.  She too was not happy with him financing a dog that cost more than most of our first vehicles. 

So, I agreed to tend to her until April 10th in order to give him time to think through his options.  None of us are jumping to help him resolve this one.  He was mature enough to purchase a dog while he should be focusing on finishing college, so he can resolve this and hopefully learn a couple of life lessons.  Now, come April 10th, we might have an issue. 

She is so adorable and I'm careful to not neglect and ignore Miss Lily while showering the new family member with luvins.  She weighs just under 3 pounds.

Wolfie

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 02:48:25 am »
My brother is in a similar situation.  His friend got a puppy Boxer, thinking the house she was building would be done.  Well, it won't be ready for at least another month.  She is living with her mother, until her house is done.  Her mom won't let her keep the puppy there.  So, she asked my brother to take care of him.  My brother agreed. 

That is a very nice setup.  She gets someone else to potty-train the dog and deal with all the pee and poop accidents.  For an adult, I would think she would have waited until she was in her home to get a dog.  And, this could very well go beyond just a month.  After my brother has practically raised the puppy, I think it will be very difficult to part with him.  He is very cute--the puppy, not my brother.  The breeder did dock his tail.  But, she doesn't want the ears pinned, which I think it good.   

About the designer dogs-- I have some issue with that.  There are so many shelter dogs put down every day.  I read L.A. has seen a huge increase in the small dogs, used as accessories, showing up in shelters.  We've gotten all our dogs at shelters, except for the last.  He is a Puggle that was abandoned--left chained up to a fence in the park.  My partner's coworker saw him chained up one night, but thought his owner was nearby.  When she went back in the morning, he was still chained to the fence.  So, he is now part of our family.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten a designer dog on my own from a breeder.  But, like you said, a topic for another day.   

Offline wolfter

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 12:09:28 am »
Harmony is doing great.  This little girl is so happy with me being her guardian.  I knew it would happen.  He's planning his college spring break and didn't even mention this girl.  I'm certain to see chaos in the future. 

But I will just keep letting her wake me every morning so I don't neglect her and step in poo like I did on day zero.  I jumped out of bed and about puked when I stepped in it. 

Miss Lily is even looking after her.  How great is that?

Wolfie

Offline wolfter

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 12:39:04 am »
I had a long day and Harmony just went pert near crazy when I came home.    My Miss Lily has finally started not wanting to rip her throat out.  It's kinda nice waking next to 2 girls spooning me. ;D

Offline willclark218

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 04:01:57 pm »
One of my favorite quotes is by Chief Seattle..

"What is man without the beasts - for without the beasts, man would die of a great loneliness of Spirit"...

About 1.5 years ago, I had to my beloved Cleo down.. she was 10 and I had her from puppy hood.. a rescue.. its a long and kind kind of angry story.. She was a chow/chow/terrier mix that I called "genetically challenged".. it didnt matter how much pain she was in.. she would gimp up the stairs to be beside me or to guard the door.. until I had to carry her every time.. She treated my ferrets like they were her pups.. always cuddling them.. On her last day, she had a hot dog and stuck her nose out the back seat window one more time.. She wagged when she saw Dr. Tom.. lay quietly on the table and said.. "I'm ready".. The whole staff cried as she slipped away under the kindest needle I have ever seen.. they called her a "miracle dog"..I miss her always...

and I agree with you.. I like the bumper sticker that says.. "The more people I meet.. the more I like my dog"..
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:05:24 pm by willclark218 »

Offline wolfter

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 09:47:03 am »
I can hardly believe it.  My nephew managed to raise the funds to pay the pet deposit.  21 year old gay college student - I don't want to imagine how he did it.  But anyways, he paid the deposit and came and retrieved her.

I'm a little sad, but at least I know he loves and adores her and she will continue to be a spoiled girl.  I really thought the novelty would wear off once he was away from her for a while....guess not.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 11:25:24 pm »
Last summer my nephew, a junior at Ohio U. purchased (financed) a Teacup Yorkie.

What financial institution would write and approve a loan to a kid with no financial background?  When I was a student at U.C. Santa Cruz, my roommate asked me to apply for a homeowners loan so he would have the money for a new surfboard.  For some reason he thought the lender would believe I owned the house, if I said so.  His parents could co-sign a note on his behalf.  Doesn't it seem likely the co-signer of the note also paid the pet deposit?   8)  Have the best day
Michael
(who recently applied for and was denied an advertised debt consolidation loan for high interest credit card debt because my credit card balances were too high)   

Offline wolfter

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 08:29:31 pm »
[quote What financial institution would write and approve a loan to a kid with no financial background?  /quote]

He has a high credit score and a good credit history.  He has always been responsible for any loan that was co-signed and paid on time.  He has since purchased several things on his own credit rating with no issues.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.