Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:37:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 693
Total: 693

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is it just me? or.........  (Read 3121 times)

Offline racingmind

Is it just me? or.........
« on: January 03, 2007, 03:03:38 pm »
Is it just me or are a lot of positive guys out there not really concerned with becoming reinfected?  All these personal ads I see have guys advertising that they are positive and want to bareback with other positive guys...

I talked to someone who advertised this online and he told me that it was REALLY difficult to get reinfected and that since I was positive I shouldn't have to worry about it anymore.....WTF?

Am I being naive here?  Everything I have read warns against barebacking, even when both parties are positive.

Are people just unconcerned about getting reinfected?  Sure it would be great to say goodbye to the condom forever, but it doesn't seem to be the right thing to do (yet so many positive people choose to ignore the possibility of reinfection....)

What do you all think????    Is it tough to get reinfected?

BTW--- HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thanks,
Dxx
Tested Negative: 5/06
Tested Positive: 9/06 
9/06: CD4: 442 (28%) VL: +100,000
10/06: CD4: 323 (25%) VL: 243,440
11/06: CD4: 405 (28%) VL: 124,324
12/06: CD4: 450 (29%) VL: 114,600
1/07: CD4: 440 (27%) VL: 75,286
3/07: CD4: 459 (30%) VL: 44,860
5/07: CD4: 353 (24%) VL: 50,852
7/07: CD4: 437 (29%) VL: 39,475
9/07: CD4: 237 (32%) VL: 372,774
10/07: CD4: 324 (27%) VL: 115,454 
Started Atripla: 10/07
11/07: CD4: 524 (?%) VL: Undetectable!
2/08: CD4: 653 (35%) VL: undetectable
5/08: CD4: 822 (40%) VL: undetectable
8/08: CD4: 626 (35%) VL: undetectable
12/08: CD4: 619 (36%) VL: undetectable
3/09: CD4: 802 (38%) VL: undetectable
7/09: CD4: 1027 (43%) VL: not tested
10/09: CD4: 1045 (43%) VL: undetectable

Offline manchesteruk

Re: Is it just me? or.........
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 03:10:59 pm »
From what i've read re-infection is rare but i'd also rather avoid Syphilis, Hep B + C amongst others if I can!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 03:54:11 pm »
Hey Dxx

From what I have read, the risk of reinfection is not that high but does happen.  For me, like Manchester said the issue would be adding an STD on top of HIV/AIDS which is enough to deal with.

This link goes to a pretty lengthy Q&A on The Body website that may have more answers for you about the risks of reinfection.

http://bbs.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Current/Q180386.html

Kevin

And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline wtgr

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 05:08:34 pm »
If you are positive and having unsafe sex you risk contracting HIV that may have developed some immunity to the meds.

A case in point. A close friend is HIV+ and had the virus well in hand with the meds regime of Viramune and Combivir. In a very short time after having an unsafe sex orgy (about which I warned him) his viral load sky rocketed, and he had to change meds to some protease inhibitors.

He is damned lucky he didn't get HepC with too.

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 06:38:57 pm »
Dxx,  you are getting solid replies about hiv reinfection.  What your post brought me back to is gay sex in general in NYC.  Fire trap bathhouses.  Piers near collapse.  Allowing strangers into your apartment.  Drinking/doing drugs along with sex.  Bare backing would seem to be yet another aspect of sex in the rough.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline bravebuddharich

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 07:48:11 pm »
I think barebacking is so much more complex than most people understand. It is a psychological need to be in control, and has strong aspects of a very natural denial that makes enormous sense. It is also interesting that barebackers, by and large, are less judgmental of others, since they are looking more for the sex not necessarily the perfect mate. It's the worrying about other STD's and health problems that makes having to put up with condoms and the judgmental attitudes of so many gay men worth putting up with.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 08:23:44 pm »
See, I think a lot of it is people just wanting to feel "carefree" again... I wouldn't ever do it... but I can understand it.  It's kind of "well, I caught the worst one, I can deal with any of its lesser cousins."     

Of course, I'd be more worried about catching a whopping case of syphilis than being re-infected... but I think in any group of people, you'll find those who love playing chicken more than anything else.

If they're doing it with other poz guys, I can't really have any sort of problem with it... they know the risks more than anyone else, and they're big boys... let them make that decision. 
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.