Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:28:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 340
Total: 341

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: im so scared  (Read 5906 times)

Offline imsoscared

im so scared
« on: February 27, 2007, 10:54:17 pm »
im a 23 female and i am going to get my results tomorrow and im so scared. i never even considered i had hiv until i typed in my symptoms on the computer and it popped up. i have had swollen tonsils for over a year now on and off and last yr i went to two ent doctors who said i will proably have to have them taken out but then i lost my health insurance and never went back so i finally got insurance from my job and i had to visit my primary doctor for a referral and they asked if i wanted a hiv test bc they were taking blood anyway..so the swollen tonsils and sore throat for a year kind of freaked me out but my mom and cousin had to have theres taken out when they were children and my aunt-my moms sister-had to have hers out in her 30s...the other thing that scares me is that i had recurrent yeast infections for months and kept going back to the gyno and they tested me for everything but hiv and everything came out okay but i was also on accutane at the time and for a few months after which is an acne medicine that is very strong and drys you out...do my symptoms sound like hiv? i know there is no way to tell other than getting a test but im been stressing myself out all week...i have been with 5 men and stupidly had unprotected sex with all of them but i knew all of them for a long time but i know that doesnt mean anything..please post ur opinions

Offline RapidRod

Re: im so scared
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 10:58:50 pm »
No your symptoms have lasted to long. Yes, you need an HIV test.

Offline imsoscared

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 11:08:36 pm »
thanks for the quick answer...is this site mostly for people not living in the u.s??

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 11:09:45 pm »
You cannot diagnose HIV by the symptoms.  Your symptoms would not point to HIV, but you definitely are not out of the woods due to having unprotected sex multiple times.  You also need to have a full STD screen and checkup.  The HIV test will be conclusive 3 months past your last unprotected intercourse event.  Other STDs are easier to get, so it is important to check for those as well, especially since we females don't usually know we have them until we have PID or are struggling with infertility.  Regular checkups--at minimum yearly, better every 6 months are needed.  And use condoms--you have no business having unprotected sex with anyone unless you guys are in a monogamous relationship and have been tested together.   You are literally taking your life into your hands and consenting to get whatever it is they might have.  If you are negative, it is important to protect that status.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 11:11:16 pm »
thanks for the quick answer...is this site mostly for people not living in the u.s??
There are people from multiple places--from US and other countries.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline imsoscared

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 06:28:48 pm »
my doctor didtn have the results yet...they had told me last week it can take one to two weeks...now im more worried because what if its taking this long because its positive and they are retesting it or something!! help...does it usually take two weeks?? i know the rapid one takes like 20 mins i wish i had that done instead

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 06:31:26 pm »
Two to three weeks is not an unusual time for the test to be processed an obtain your results.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 06:33:24 pm »
Do not infer a positive result because of a lab delay.  I got my results back in less than 48 hours when I was positive.  It has to do with the LAB's workload.  Not your results.

Trust me on this one.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline imsoscared

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 06:40:14 pm »
thanks a lot!! can i ask did anybody know that they have it or were they surprised and if you had any symptoms..this site is really good and better than reading just loads of information

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 07:15:50 pm »
I only noticed symptoms AFTER i tested Poz and retraced what happened then I put 2 and 2 together.  Rod didnt have ANY symptoms.  Its different for all of us.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 09:15:39 pm »
Scared, I'm very glad to read that you are getting your test results tomorrow. The only way to reliably know your HIV status is by getting tested. None of the symptoms you are concerned about including yeast infection and sore throat are in any way HIV specific.

Hopefully you will squeek through safely this time. But you do need to learn from this experience because everytime you have unprotected intercourse you are putting your life at risk. It's as stark and as simple as that. No matter whom you are with and how well you think you know the guy and how great he looks, he still needs to wear a latex condom if you're having intercourse. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Fingers crossed for you here and let us know when you get your results.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 09:17:15 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline imsoscared

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 02:49:46 pm »
now that i have been reading more about symptoms im concerned about another thing besides my swollen tonsils for the past yr..i was looking at my tongue and i noticed all the way in the back if i stick my tongue out far it is white and has little things on them , it doesnt hurt and they dont scrap off but its just not like the front of my tongue which is pink and smooth...is this oral thrush or is it just because that part of my tongue is touching my swollen tonsils and is getting infected or maybe its just normal for it to look like that

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 03:35:10 pm »
No, it is not thrush. It's normal to have white at the back of your tongue or the whole tongue. I would advise you now, not to be looking at symptoms. Symptoms or lack of is no way to diagnosis HIV. HIV has no specific symptoms. Relax and wait on your test results.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 05:30:16 pm »
And even if you had thrush that is absolutely NOT an HIV specific occurence. It happens in the general population as well and very commonly so.

Stay busy until you get your results and the waiting time will pass more quickly and easily than you may imagine at this moment. Really.   
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.