Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:48:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 383
Total: 386

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Stepping Down from AMG / New Nomination  (Read 9764 times)

Offline Dennis

Stepping Down from AMG / New Nomination
« on: August 22, 2009, 08:21:18 am »
I have recently been accused of rigging the destination votes for AMG each year by an employee of this very website. In particular, I have been accused of rigging the votes as to prevent a European AMG. To avoid any further tarnishment to AMG, I am choosing to step down from the role as Coordinator.

I would like to nominate ANN, our very own moderator, as your next AMG 2010 Coordinator. With the passion she has shown towards the creation of a European AMG, I have no doubt she has the drive to bring this to fruition and bring AMG to the next level; wherever AMG may be held.

Dennis

Offline Cliff

Re: Stepping Down from AMG / New Nomination
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 09:13:30 am »
Just give it some time to think over, once things are more calm.  

Just for the record, I don't think anyone has rigged anything.  I think the location simply reflects the wishes of the attendees.  And this is from someone who has wanted AMG to come to Europe.  I only wish people would keep an open mind about it.  But I recognise that it just may not be doable and we shouldn't blame anyone.  It's just the way things are.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 09:59:54 am »
Oh for heaven's sake, Dennis, GROW UP!

In that other thread, you said:

go ahead and blame me that there won't be a European AMG.

I replied with:

Dennis, the only problem I have with you in connection with the AMG is that you have already decided that there won't be a European AMG, despite the fact that it's not yet been voted on. ::) Rigged ballot or what?

Anyone with half a brain could see the rigged ballot comment was pure facetiousness as it would be impossible to rig a public vote.

The fact remains that you're already assuming the AMG won't be held in Europe, despite the presence of THREE European cities on the current list of possibles. The voting hasn't even taken place yet!

I lost all interest in the AMG when you accused me of trying to start a battle simply because I made a suggestion. Rather than saying you didn't think the suggestion was a good idea, that it would be better to go straight to the city vote, you decided to try and dredge up a previous fight. That dredging was YOUR doing, not mine.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dennis

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 11:00:40 am »
No Ann, you have assumed there won't be a European AMG. To quote yourself, "anyone with half a brain" and the comprehension skills will see I've tried on numerous occassions in the past couple of years to rally behind a European AMG.

If "anyone with half a brain" can see you can't rig a public vote then there really was no need for your fecetious comments, was there?

Insult me again, Ann. I suggest you follow the very own terms and conditions you moderate here.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 11:13:18 am »
Jebus
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Basquo

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 11:38:40 am »
Thank you , Dennis, for the fantastic work you've done on 3 out of 5 AMGs. Your tireless efforts have helped make some special memories for a lot of people!

Offline Curtis

• Smooth seas do not make skillfull sailors
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 11:48:18 am »
I second Creighton's thoughts.  Dennis, I think you've done an outstanding job that will be challenging for anyone to meet regardless of where it is.  I know I've missed a lot of what's going on here, but the best answer I've seen is two gatherings on two continents and I would consider going to both anyway.

Curtis
Probable infection: 1993
Tested poz: 10/4/1995

Much time passes.....

Worst labs in 2009: CD4 20, CD4% 3, VL 9000.
10/1/09: Ziagen, Icentress, Intelence.
11/30/09: CD4 42, CD4% 6, VL undetectable.

Hooray! :-)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 12:18:04 pm »
Dennis,

I want to thank you, also, for your incredible efforts.  Boston was a smashing success for those that attended because of all the work you put into it.  While I hope you will reconsider your position here -- I can completely understand why you wish to step down.

It is amazing to me that amount of drama that goes on about the AMG on these boards every year (yet the events themselves are so incredibly uplifting and energizing).  It seems to me that there are far too many people who stick their noses in here to simply stir the pot.  It's one thing to offer opinions and suggestions if you harbor some possibility of attending, but it seems that some have absolutely NO PLAN to attend yet still come in here to piss and moan.

The two biggest complaints are that we aren't holding them in Europe and the US HIV ban makes it difficult/dangerous for others to attend -- let's look at these.

Europe -- if the vote picks a European city, then that's where it will be held.  If it doesn't and the cost is too much for our European members to attend, then they CAN organize their own.  So far as I can tell, no European city has ever won out and NO ONE HAS SHOWN ANY INTEREST IN ORGANIZING ONE THERE. 

US Ban -- Only 2 of the 5 have been held in the US -- how many non-Americans attended the 3 outside the US vs. the 2 inside?  I don't have exact numbers, but I believe the differences were negligible.  I'm fairly certain that everyone wants the ban gone, but it seems to be a red herring, as far as attendance goes.

So let's try to be Constructive instead of Destructive here -- if you have an idea, share it.  If you have a complaint -- state it along with a suggested remedy.

Finally, I have to say -- Ann, I have the utmost respect for the work you do in these rooms, but the AMG seems to bring out a different side of you.  Instead of the supportive and thoughtful person you usually are, I see more of a petty, unhelpful side.  If you truly are no longer interested in AMG, than stay out of it -- outside of your moderator duties.  As a moderator you should know that facetious comments in a typically heated topic are dangerous and potentially explosive.  You may not have had the intent, but that "facetious" comment may well cost the AMG a tireless member who has the knowledge and experience to insure success of the AMGs.  It is truly a sad day.

Mike

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 12:30:47 pm »

Finally, I have to say -- Ann, I have the utmost respect for the work you do in these rooms, but the AMG seems to bring out a different side of you.  Instead of the supportive and thoughtful person you usually are, I see more of a petty, unhelpful side.  If you truly are no longer interested in AMG, than stay out of it -- outside of your moderator duties.  As a moderator you should know that facetious comments in a typically heated topic are dangerous and potentially explosive.  You may not have had the intent, but that "facetious" comment may well cost the AMG a tireless member who has the knowledge and experience to insure success of the AMGs.  It is truly a sad day.

Mike, I HAVE stayed out of it, ever since I made the mistake (sin?) of making a well-meaning suggestion and was accused by Dennis of trying to start a battle. I promise you that was NOT my intention. It was JUST A SUGGESTION. He could have just said no, let's just vote for the city and I would have said, ok, no problem.

DENNIS is the one who brought the subject of AMG and me back up in his Asshole Magnet thread. NOT ME.

And I promise you, I will not have another thing to say on the matter, unless someone else decideds to try to haul me over the coals on this. You guys have fun at your AMGs, but count on counting me out. OK? And that also means leaving me out of the discussions.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 12:39:33 pm »

Mike

You do realize that this entire thread is a personal attack, don't you?  If we're going to dole out blame here let's do it in an equitable and fair manner, bocker.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 02:09:11 pm »
Dennis,

If you want to resign as Coordinator fine and you have every right to do so. What you have no right to is to attack another member of this forum, especially when it is you who started this pissing match in the first place. Please don't use the AMG forum as your private battleground. If you have an issue with someone here, take it to PMs like the rest of us do.

Offline Dennis

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 05:10:40 pm »
Joe,

Again, with all due respect, the pissing match was not started by me. You're confusing the two threads. Reread the other thread closely. I'm sure you will see it was our moderator who allowed her feelings about me personally to get in the way of actually moderating and prompting her to prematurely play the blame game, threaten (not warn) me with her powers as a moderator, and flame the discussion with her facetious accusations, along with numerous insults.

My original post above is nothing new and was discussed, including my choice of nominee, with several longstanding members of AMG in Boston. Who better to bring the idea of an AMG in Europe to fruition than the most outspoken proponent for a European AMG. It was only the nominee's self admitted facetious accusation that moved it along a bit sooner than anticipated. Keep in mind, my vote was for London.

As with any nomination, you are free to either second my nomination or present a nomination of your own. Of course, the nominee is always free to decline.

Dennis,

If you want to resign as Coordinator fine and you have every right to do so. What you have no right to is to attack another member of this forum, especially when it is you who started this pissing match in the first place. Please don't use the AMG forum as your private battleground. If you have an issue with someone here, take it to PMs like the rest of us do.

edited typo incase the grammar and spelling police appear.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 10:03:08 pm by Dennis »

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 05:13:38 pm »
Maybe it's a good idea.  it seams as though (from what you have previously posted about work and school) your plate is full.   

one door closes and another opens as they say

It seams like a stressful but rewarding job. but if it is causing you too much stress....walk away..move on to something else.

Maybe it's time

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 06:21:18 pm »

As with any nomination, you are free to either second my nomination or present a nomination of your own. Of course, the nominee is always free to decline.

I nominate Dennis.

Offline Robert

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 06:27:58 pm »
AMG 2010 Thread(Posted by AMG Coordinator yesterday, Friday, Aug. 21.)

"Let's keep this going a bit longer. Below are the destination other's have mentioned thus far; in no particular order. Please feel free to place your submission for one of the destinations below, or another of your choosing.

When interest in this thread subsides, I'll place the top three destinations into a vote to decide the location of AMG 2010.

Amsterdamn
Chicago
Cleveland
Dallas
Helsinki
Las Vegas
London
New Orleans
Orlando
Philadelphia
Seattle
Washington D.C."

As Dennis himself said, the list is in no particular order.  I see see 3 European Cities and one of them even tops the list.  It certainly doesn't look like any rigging of the votes to me.

Dennis has been the AMG guy par excellance. The fun and camaraderie as well as the somber candlelight ceremonies are, in a large part, due to all the details and behind and scenes maneuvering that most of us are never privy to.  It's not easy putting these things together and although it's quite obvious to those of us who attend, let me just make it very clear to everyone else who might read these AMG posts, that Dennis is the one who deserves the credit and accolades.

robert
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 11:19:32 pm by Robert »

Offline confidentIwillbeOK

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 07:03:47 pm »
My vote:

1. Chicago
2. Seattle
3. London

Other great locations for me would be Helsinki, New Orleans, and D.C. 

Not 100% sure I will attend in '10 due to work and school schedule but if I could any of the cities above would be appealing to me.

S.

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 07:21:25 pm »
I nominate Dennis!!!  Not only has he served a coordinator of the past three AMGs but he has negotiated the hotel contracts for all five AMGs.

If Ann assumes the role as the new coordinator of AMG, AMG Boston 2009 is destined to be the last AMG any of us will have enjoyed.

Furthermore, if her vitriolic attitude with regards to AMG continues, I request that the owner of this site remove her as a moderator.  She is not capable of keeping an open mind.

Respectfully, Ric

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 11:51:56 pm »
Ok everyone this has gone far enough...if Dennis wants to step down then he is entitled to without all this fuss.

Dennis told me in Boston that he wasn't going to be doing anymore AMG's..he has done a good job for the last 3 years so it's time for him to take a break from it all..it's as simple as that so accept it.

As for blaming Ann for his decision to step down..well that's just not right and it certainly isn't fair, the decision was made way before Ann entered the discussion,...as for all the name calling and insults I don't think I need to remind you all that it is not tolerated here in the forums.

I think the only thing I can do at this stage is to lock this thread, it isn't going anywhere and will only end up with a lot of peole being hurt and saying things they may regret later.

If you want to put up a thread to nominate a coordinator for next year please do so in a new topic.

Thank you
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.