Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:48:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773277
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 286
Total: 286

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hep C and Sex  (Read 8273 times)

Offline tednlou2

Hep C and Sex
« on: June 14, 2010, 02:19:44 am »
Ongoing research about Hep C and HIV: 

http://www.thebody.com/content/art56891.html

Offline next2u

Re: Hep C and Sex
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 10:59:13 pm »
good article.
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 11:22:05 pm »
I was earlier today telling someone I had no idea how Hep C was actually spread.  I was under the impression rimming and IV drug use were the only ways.  It looks like the article hints at the idea that unprotected sex might do it but that there is no certainty yet.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 11:39:58 pm »
I was earlier today telling someone I had no idea how Hep C was actually spread.  I was under the impression rimming and IV drug use were the only ways.  It looks like the article hints at the idea that unprotected sex might do it but that there is no certainty yet.

Based on what I read it seems that it goes back to rough anal sex and fisting.  But that's ol' news, ain't it? 

The article doesn't seem to indicate that your run-o-da-mill vanilla love-making is a way to catch it.  I stopped reading after I didn't see anything groundbreaking; maybe they mention it towards the end.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 10:08:13 am »
Absolutely nothing new in that article. It's been well known for a while now that hep C can be transmitted during unprotected sex. It's also been known that people with hiv seem to be more susceptible to being infected with hep C through unprotected sex.

Well, I say "well known", but the ignorance surrounding hep C is far greater than the ignorance surrounding hiv.

From the article: Canadian estimates from 2007 put the number of new cases of hepatitis C at almost 8,000, compared with 2,400 reported new cases of HIV the same year.

This is true the world over. There are far more people living with hep C than there are hiv - and hep C is far less talked about.

Hep C is much more easily transmitted than hiv. Unlike hiv, which quickly becomes damaged and unable to infect when outside the body, hep C can remain viable and able to infect for long periods (some reports say up to a week to ten days) outside the body.

It can only take a small speck of blood to infect - and this is why snorting drugs through shared straws (or rolled up paper) can spread the virus. It only takes a minuscule amount of hcv infected  blood landing on the mucus membrane of your nasal cavity to get infected. Don't EVER share straws!

Again, unlike hiv, changes in temperature don't seem to bother hcv. There have been case reports where it's believed that hcv was transmitted from metal crack pipe stems that caused bleeding lips because of the heat of the stem.

Sharing any personal hygiene items can also spread hep C. Small amounts of blood on a razor or toothbrush can infect you - unlike hiv.

Sharing sex toys that may have small amounts of blood on them will also transmit hep C. It only takes a speck of blood - a speck that you may not even see.

I cannot stress enough how much more infectious hep C is as compared to hiv. And that's why there are far more cases of hep C than hiv world wide.

Not everyone with hep C will ever encounter problems because of it. However, it's the leading cause of liver cancer and also of the need for liver transplant. There is a cure, but it is not effective for everyone. There are quite a few genotypes of hcv and some genotypes are more responsive to treatment than others.

Even having a treatable genotype is not a guarantee that you'll be cured. My ex-husband and I had the same (considered treatable) genotype; I had a sustained response (considered cured) but my ex didn't. He still has hep C.

And the treatment is nasty. The article mentions one man who had a relatively easy time with the side effects, but believe me, he is the exception. Most have a horrendous time and as I said, not everyone has a sustained response. I can't imagine anything worse than going through a year of absolute hell and not being cured at the end of it.

Be careful, folks. You don't want hep C on top of your hiv. Hiv is known to accelerate hep C progression, so don't think that you'll be one of the lucky ones whose hep C infection causes them no problems. I had hep C for at least 13-14 years before I was infected with hiv and I almost immediately started having problems with hep C - whereas before hiv, I had absolutely NO problems associated with hep C.

edited to add...

Anyone who is hiv positive should be regularly tested - at least once a year, twice if you're sexually active with several partners - for hep C (as well as hep B). If you're not being regularly tested, talk to your doctor and get the test.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 10:18:37 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline elf

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 07:16:20 am »
That's why I have not had sex for two years (since my diagnosis), I don't need hepatitisB+C on top of HIV.  :-X Now I'm just an asexual plant.  :o I'm not gay, I'm not straight, I'm a nice green plant.  :)

Offline tennisplayer56

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 08:30:12 am »
Elf

I dont think you need to abstain from sex. Hep C is a blood borne virus, and the majority of people with it are IV drug users or people who have received blood transfusions prior to the time they started screening blood.

Wiki has a section for sexual contact in regards to Hep C:
"Sexual transmission of HCV is considered to be rare. Studies show the risk of sexual transmission in heterosexual, monogamous relationships is extremely rare or even null.[19][20] The CDC does not recommend the use of condoms between long-term monogamous discordant couples (where one partner is positive and the other is negative).[21] However, because of the high prevalence of hepatitis C, this small risk may translate into a non-trivial number of cases transmitted by sexual routes. Vaginal penetrative sex is believed to have a lower risk of transmission than sexual practices that involve higher levels of trauma to anogenital mucosa (anal penetrative sex, fisting, use of sex toys).[22]"

Ann:
People with HIV shouldn't have a yearly check for Hep B. They should get the vaccine.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 09:03:52 am »

Ann:
People with HIV shouldn't have a yearly check for Hep B. They should get the vaccine.

True, but they should also be periodically checked to make sure the vaccine is still working. And for someone like myself who cannot have the vaccine (I had a very bad reaction to the first hep B shot I had), we should be screened yearly.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 12:53:15 pm »

It can only take a small speck of blood to infect - and this is why snorting drugs through shared straws (or rolled up paper) can spread the virus. It only takes a minuscule amount of hcv infected  blood landing on the mucus membrane of your nasal cavity to get infected. Don't EVER share straws!

Which is why it's my belief that a lot of the fretting about it being sex when the studies are urban gay men are actually transmissions via party favors.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 01:53:48 pm »
Which is why it's my belief that a lot of the fretting about it being sex when the studies are urban gay men are actually transmissions via party favors.

True. Personally, I don't think hep C is transmitted all that often through sex, but rough sex that draws blood is very suspect.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 02:01:04 pm »
True. Personally, I don't think hep C is transmitted all that often through sex, but rough sex that draws blood is very suspect.

Oh yeah, of course.  I should have been more clear -- IIRC some studies I've read that were in urban gay males in NYC and somewhere else in NW Europe had some passage ruling out fisting in "X"% of those they looked at because the patients said they'd not done that, but there was no mention of asking them if they'd snorted drugs with shared straws, etc.

Aside from that I think a lot of gay males will fess up to sex practices with a doctor before they'll admit to drug use, but that's pure speculation on my part.  Everyone on the scene shared those little "bumper" contraption in the clubs back in my party days.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 02:30:57 pm »
Aside from that I think a lot of gay males will fess up to sex practices with a doctor before they'll admit to drug use, but that's pure speculation on my part.

I would imagine your speculation is spot-on. Too many could quite conceivably be worried about not only legal repercussions, but also of being labelled a junkie. I know I've had that problem simply for having hep C.

Yeah, I did get hep C from sharing needles, but that was many, many years ago and I haven't done that sort of thing since 1985 or 86, before I became pregnant. So it really pisses me off when a doctor or other health care professional gives me attitude about it.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 02:33:47 pm »

Yeah, I did get hep C from sharing needles

ORLY

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 03:07:02 pm »
ORLY

Damn, another home movie on the loose. I thought I'd managed to hide them all. :-\

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.