Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:51:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 235
Total: 238

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Oh. My. God. or "The Wisdom of Miss P."  (Read 9003 times)

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
Oh. My. God. or "The Wisdom of Miss P."
« on: February 25, 2013, 02:04:28 pm »
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:29:33 am by oksikoko »
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Oh. My. God. or "The Wisdom of Miss P."
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 02:20:17 pm »
Great news all round, glad things are starting to look up for you.

When you get to know Miss P, I mean really get to know him you will find out three very special thing about him.

1..when he right he's always right

2.. When he gives advise , take it.

3.. He is very epitome of snobbery, he only goes to the best of places with the best of people so always take his lead.

I'm glad they were able to help.

Aroha
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline darryaz

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 02:31:41 pm »
That's great news!!!!

I know your feelings exactly.  My current primary care/HIV provider is pretty consistently "Egyptian Monarch" but I've been to another one that was definitely "Anonymous Junkie Whore". 

My neurosurgeon's office is pretty much "AJH" but luckily I only have to see him one time a year these days (it was hell when I had to go once a week).

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 02:32:31 pm »

3.. He is very epitome of snobbery, he only goes to the best of places with the best of people so always take his lead.

I highly advise you not to confuse snobbery with good taste.

So Oksikookoo -- was this that Center for Comprehensive Care place? You know, it opened up after I moved away from NYC but everything I've read/heard about it is great. I'm very pro-large clinic for HIV because it's less hassle and one-top-shopping for services, which is definitely beneficial to the newly diagnosed but it's helpful to even the bitter, worn out and used up LTSers like me. Such places didn't really exist back in the day, but I started going to one when I moved to Filthy (though we, unfortunately, don't have the dentist integrated). Plus CCC has an integrated pharmacy which is a big plus. Probably doesn't seem a big deal if you're only on one med, but trust me when you find yourself filling a dozen things every month it's great.

I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly this rose from the ash heap that was HIV care at the now closed St. Vincent's hospital in the West Village. I see from their web site that they now have not one but three locations, including one at St. Luke's in Morningside Heights. Is that the one you went to since it's close to where you just moved?

ps: I like when my name is in a thread title
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 02:34:58 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline texaninnyc87

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 03:08:47 pm »
It still blows my mind that two people can go to the same place for care and have such completely different experiences. At Sinai, my social worker has been nothing short of an angel. My doctor is wonderful. I started receiving vaccinations my first day there and have continued since. I was offered psychiatric care and counseling right away and consulted about dental care during the first month! i'm glad youre finally getting the royal treatment you deserve and sorry it took so long!
Dxd: 9/11/12
Blot confirmed: 11/12
12/12 cd4: 280 (20%) vl: 129,000
1/13 $tribild
2/13 cd4: 350 (26%) vl: 80
4/13 cd4: 510 (29%) vl:: 35
6/13cd4 350 (31%) vl: 21
9/13 cd4 492 (30%) vl: ud
12/13 cd4 846 (36%) vl: 100
1/14 cd4 480 (31%) vl: UD
3/14 cd4 650 (33%) vl: UD
6/14 cd4 410 (35%) vl: UD
9/14 cd4 439 (38%) vl: UD
12/14 cd4 551 (37%) vl: UD

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 06:08:33 pm »
Oksi, I'm tickled pink you got this kind of care. You really deserve it ;)

When you get to know Miss P, I mean really get to know him y

1..when he right he's always right

2.. When he gives advise , take it.

Yes, she has her moments  ;)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mitch777

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 06:19:29 pm »
great news oski! :)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 06:28:34 pm »
Yes , you can trust Miss P to spoon deliver sweet sound advice with but it sometimes finishes with a hint of vinegar .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 07:10:24 pm »
Yes , you can trust Miss P to spoon deliver sweet sound advice with but it sometimes finishes with a hint of vinegar .
a hint? lol!
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline lincoln6echo

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 07:13:08 pm »
That's an awesome good news story. Very glad for you :)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 07:59:50 pm »
I highly advise you not to confuse snobbery with good taste.

Oh please, you do have good taste in food I'll give you that, but you have to admit you are a bit of a food snob.

For example:  Port Salut is my favourite cheese, but when I tell people I like it I don't add "and the reason I love Port Salut is because it's  a semi-soft cheese made from pasteurised cow's milk, and it comes from Pays de la Loire, in France"...but you my sweet man would, I think that's why we love you, because you are a such a fabulous food snob.

Aroha
Jan :-*

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 08:04:24 pm »

For example:  Port Salut is my favourite cheese, but when I tell people I like it I don't add "and the reason I love Port Salut is because it's  a semi-soft cheese made from pasteurised cow's milk, and it comes from Pays de la Loire, in France"...but you my sweet man would,

LMAO!

yes.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 08:15:16 pm »
Here is a prime example Will, taken from you nutrition thread.

Posted by our Miss P:

Nettle Meadows Three Sisters cheese. It's a delicious semi-soft wonder containing cow, sheep and goat's milk and similar to the famed La Tur in the Italian Piemonte region.... ;D

Aroha

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 08:38:59 pm »
Cheese isn't as glamorous in Bama as it is in Philly . I look for pregnant teenage girls in hopes I can get a grilled cheese sandwich made from that log of government cheese they get , that government cheese is most excellent  .
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 08:50:41 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 08:45:32 pm »
I look for pregnant teenage girls in hopes I can get a grilled cheese sandwich made from that log of government they get , that government cheese is most excellent  .

!!!

LMAO
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 08:53:29 pm »
Cheese isn't as glamorous in Bama as it is in Philly . I look for pregnant teenage girls in hopes I can get a grilled cheese sandwich made from that log of government cheese they get , that government cheese is most excellent  .

We now have a gourmet grilled cheese place at Reading Terminal Market and can you believe I haven't gone yet?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 08:56:56 pm »
We now have a gourmet grilled cheese place at Reading Terminal Market and can you believe I haven't gone yet?

Grilled Cheese and tomato soup is my ultimate comfort food .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 09:00:31 pm »

Oh yes Jeff. Mine too  ;). I'm hoping you use milk in your tomato soup??
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 09:08:11 pm »

They make this cheese by hand on the premises. In fact, I'm just now reading that they stole the head cheese guy/buyer from the cheese shop I always go to (ref. cute Jew w/tattoos in the slideshow at link). This new place is actually a cheese shop with a grilled cheese cafe inside of it, called Meltkraft. And they're also doing Passover-style brisket with melted aged cheddar sandwiches.

I think I'm going to have to sample their goods this week.

http://valleyshepherd.com/meltkraft

edit: Valley Shepherd "Somerset", cured ham, cornichon pickles and whole grain mustard

... that's what I want.

ps: Philly > Birmingham > San Antonio ;D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 09:15:21 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 09:16:00 pm »

I just made exactly that for Chris, who isn't feeling well. Lots of butter, melty American Cheese, and smashed flat in a hot skillet until it's very brown.

I found a great recipe for tomato soup, and it's the only one Chris will eat when sick, besides plain Campbell's condensed tomato soup (which always gives me a sad to cook)

Cream Of Tomato Soup

Serves 6

- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced 
- 2 14-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes ["Diced" or "crushed" canned tomatoes also work great]
- 2 cups chicken stock [Use water or vegetable stock if you're cooking for your vegetarian friends]
- 1/2 cup heavy cream [You can eliminate this ingredient if you're afraid of the calories, but remember that fat (cream) + acidity (tomatoes) is one of the greatest flavor combinations on earth, so you'll be missing out.]
- Salt and pepper

Directions

1. Prepare your ingredients: Slice off 2 tablespoons of butter, and set it aside. Dice your onion, and set it aside. Open the cans of tomatoes, and set them aside. Measure out 2 cups of stock, and set it aside. Measure out 1/2 cup of cream, and set it aside. 

2. Put a medium stockpot [one of these] on the stove, and turn the heat to medium. Throw the butter into the pot and watch it melt for a few seconds.

3. Add the diced onions to the pot and stir them occasionally with a wooden spoon. Cook them until they're translucent, and maybe just starting to turn golden brown. This should take about 3-5 minutes. [The brown color is caramelization, which will add a delicious sweetness to your soup, if you like that sort of thing.]

4. Add the canned tomatoes [with their juices] and the stock to the pot. Wait until the mixture comes to a boil [it will probably take 5-10 minutes, and when it's bubbling violently, it's boiling] and then turn down the heat to low. Let the mixture simmer [gently bubbling], uncovered, for 20-30 minutes. [If you like your soup thick, let it simmer longer. More liquid will evaporate over time, giving you a thicker consistency.]

5. Turn the heat off, and let the soup cool for about 20-30 minutes. 

a. If you're blending the soup in a blender or a food processor, pour half of the tomato mixture into the appliance and blend until smooth. Pour the blended soup into a big mixing bowl, and then blend the other half until smooth. [Blending in batches prevents your appliance from exploding all over the kitchen.]

b. If you're using a mesh strainer, simply set the strainer over a large mixing bowl. In small batches, pour the tomato mixture into the strainer and push it through with a wooden spoon. It'll take a while, but just be patient. If you're left with some lumps, your soup will still taste great.

6. Return the soup to your stockpot, and turn the heat on low. Season your soup with salt and pepper, to taste.

7. Stir in the cream, and turn off the heat. [You don't want to cook the cream, because it will curdle. That's gross.] 

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 09:16:44 pm »
Oh yes Jeff. Mine too  ;). I'm hoping you use milk in your tomato soup??

Milk or cream is a must ... I put a dollop of cream cheese in the soup sometime also .

I will be making your JK tomato soup before the week is out . YUM .
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 09:19:49 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 09:17:51 pm »
American cheese gives me dry heaves.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 09:20:16 pm »
I have never heard of Grilled Cheese and Tomato soup..NEVER!!!

Aroha

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 09:22:19 pm »

The PC term is freedom cheese .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 09:23:54 pm »
I have never heard of Grilled Cheese and Tomato soup..NEVER!!!

Aroha

I know what to make you for lunch one day then .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 09:26:56 pm »
I know what to make you for lunch one day then .

OK! I'll be up for that, and the wife will eat anything... ;D

Aroha

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 09:28:23 pm »
OK! I'll be up for that, and the wife will eat anything... ;D

Aroha

Do you really want to go there LOL  :)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 10:15:02 pm »

Having tried almost every other cheese in a grilled cheese sandwich, I find the cheddar family to be far too greasy. Swiss doesn't melt evenly, and it's gaminess (if it's good swiss) doesn't make it quite as much a comfort food. I experimented with a lot of cheeses, including the lowly Velveeta, before determining that high quality American worked best for that sandwich, under the circumstances in which a person craves comfort food.

Having spent most of last year taking care of Chris, I learned early on to capitulate to his notion of comfort foods.  As much as I love my grandmother's recipe for Macaroni and cheese, which includes eggs and results in a frothy, custard-type effect, I acquiesced to the standard Velveeta and milk - though defiantly, I also add cheddar and usually a panko crumb topping when finishing it in the oven.

Comfort foods are really not supposed to engage your foodie nature, I don't think. They are the things that don't make you retch when you are sick, and make you less liable to cry when you are sad.

My mom, God/dess love her, was a terrible cook and not that great of a caregiver. Getting a bowl of soup from her would likely end up with huge chunks of un-stirred condensed matter. And her grilled cheese sandwiches would likely have hunks of roughly hewn dried cheddar cheese that refused to melt. She tried, God/dess bless her, but that's all her heart held.

I think that's why I never really developed a taste for "comfort food" myself. Makes me happy and also a little sad that Chris' mom did such a great job at caregiving that he has a whole stable of comfort foods. I am actually, weirdly touched that he has added my red beans and rice to that list.

Miss P, I intend to try almost all of the recipes and dinners you post about. When one has no "comfort zone," one is called a "foodie." I rather think it's someone just looking for a place to call home.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 11:02:19 pm »
- 1/2 cup heavy cream [You can eliminate this ingredient if you're afraid of the calories, but remember that fat (cream) + acidity (tomatoes) is one of the greatest flavor combinations on earth, so you'll be missing out.]

Yes!  I love alfredo sauce that is mixed with tomatoe sauce.  When I make lasagna, I will make homemade alfredo sauce to go with it.  It is the acidity mixed with the cream that is so yummy. 

About cheese-- nothing better than gov'ment cheese.  I wish I could get some.  I have several friends, who say the same.  Do they even give out cheese anymore? 

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 11:03:21 pm »
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:29:04 am by oksikoko »
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2013, 11:04:33 pm »
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:28:58 am by oksikoko »

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2013, 11:06:53 pm »
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:28:52 am by oksikoko »

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2013, 12:40:07 am »
Do you really want to go there LOL  :)

LOL...Oops.

Aroha

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2013, 12:45:38 am »
Oh, and thanks Willy and Mitch and anyone I overlooked! My eyes glazed over somewhere near the Camembert.

Sorry for the Hijack Oksikoko, we are all still glad things are working out for you, now go and find a nice cheese sandwich, one that will make you feel happy.. ;)

Aroha
Jan

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2013, 12:47:45 am »
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:28:44 am by oksikoko »

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2013, 01:06:17 am »
Threads often go off in a different direction for a bit.  Perhaps we were all hungry.  Speaking of that, where are you staying and eating?  Are you literally homeless on the streets? 

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2013, 01:11:30 am »
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:28:37 am by oksikoko »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2013, 05:02:05 am »
As the OP saw fit to delete all his recent posts and render the basic premise of this thread untenable, I'm locking it.

For the record, we do not permit people to use the edit function as a means to delete posts. It's there to correct mistakes or add additional information. Erasing entire posts hours after they've been posted often renders any subsequent replies nonsensical.

It is not to be used as a way to get around being given a Time Out after making inflammatory remarks.

It's not to be used as a means of passive-aggressively lashing out when you receive replies you don't like.

Be prepared to own what you say here - or don't bother saying it.

The occasional use to delete one misplaced post is ok (ie when you accidentally posted something in the wrong thread). Other than that, it's a good way to earn yourself a Time Out, as the OP has learned.

Ann

edited to correct atrocious spelling and to add clarity
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:12:38 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.