Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:16:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 373
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 338
Total: 338

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: When the Only Wing One Can Rely on is the Left Wing . . .  (Read 7659 times)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
When the Only Wing One Can Rely on is the Left Wing . . .
« on: August 30, 2007, 03:38:22 am »
The NSW public health system is something of a Curate's Egg. Good in parts, not so wholesome in others.

Matty the Damned dutifully reported to the Nepean Hospital Day Surgery Unit at 0645 hrs on Tuesday and, as expected, was placed on the emergency surgery list. By 1530 hrs nothing had happened, other than an IV antibiotic treatment, and I was feeling rather ill. Being nil by mouth (not even a sip of water) is an nasty thing.

Fortunately a kindly RN took pity on me an arranged for IV fluids and some morphine to be administered. By 1830, my theatre booking was canceled and I was fed and watered and sent to the ward to stay overnight.

The next day I had a HUGE fight with the infamous Whore Registrar and was finally taken to theatre where a closed reduction was performed and a humeral brace put on. Basically they knocked me out, forced the bones back together and a plastic brace and cuff holds the whole ghastly affair together. I have movement back in my right hand and the pain is much reduced. The infection is under control.

I want to say at this point that the treatment and care I received at the hands of the nursing and allied health workers was nothing short of exemplary. All of them, to a woman, were courteous, kind and obliging. They work in the most trying of circumstances for terrible pay surrounded by the most pitiful, difficult creatures known to man -- the ill.

The original treatment ordered by the slut doctor (registrars are qualified doctors training in their specialty under the guidance of a consultant) was entirely wrong. A hanging back slab is specifically contraindicated for an injury like mine. Being plastered from wrist to shoulder with a heavy weight attached kept the bones straight, but pulled the ends apart which compressed the radial nerve. Just how much permanent damage has been done remains to be seen. Hopefully it will heal completely.

There is still a chance that I will need to have a humeral nail inserted (ie the metal rod) but I'm assured by the consultant that this current approach will most likely work.

We'll see.  ::)

At this point I want to send props to Little Steve, who rang me twice during my stay. The comfort and support I drew from that contact cannot be adequately described. I am forever in his debt. :-*

So to the rest of you. Your love and kind thoughts (and yes healing energy from the hippies amongst you) will not be forgotten. As a token of his appreciation Matty the Damned will ensure your deaths are quick and painless when he becomes Brutal Overlord of the Universe. Bwhahahahahahaa! ;)

Let me close with this excerpt from the discharge report written by the Rotten Registrar whom I have dubbed "Attila the Hen". Verbatim I will quote it:

Other notes
This patient exhibits an extremely hostile and sullen demeanor [sic] when dealing with medical officers. He is prone to aggressive outbursts marked by abusive and profane language during examinations and is generally uncooperative. Psychiatric assessment was recommended, but the patient refused consent.

Nevertheless nursing and allied health staff report that this patient is cooperative, courteous and responsive during their interactions. Given his apparent positive disposition towards non-medical clinical staff, it is recommended that when medical officers attend this patient they do so under the supervision and advice of a member of the senior nursing staff to minimise the likelihood of a distressing and unpleasant exchange.

:D

MtD
(Who, though wounded, is as prickly as ever)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
Re: When the Only Wing One Can Rely on is the Left Wing . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 03:44:01 am »
Oh Matty.

I'm horrified, but mostly just glad you're back and feel well enough to be online.

I was worried about you in ways that I don't even think there are words in the english language to describe, but I'm sure you understand.

I love you. However, I would never want to be your doctor.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 03:46:20 am »
The most amazing thing is that you could even type this, darling.
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline mjmel

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 04:16:07 am »
I hope this attempt at repair is successful and all can be but a wretched memory.
speedy healing
Mike

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 04:25:38 am »
Ah dearest Matty~

I am so glad that you were finally fed and watered at the end of that first long day.  I am glad to hear that you had your surgery and are well enough to post here.  Its great to see you!  "Psychiatric assessment?"  Can't the Whore Registrar simply understand that Matty doesn't like everyone, esp those who don't know what the hell they are doing in an emergency situation? 

Are you going to file a complaint?  Curious.....

~Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 05:40:08 am »
Glad the surgery went alright and you're back!

Again, many a good vibes and wombat healing powers towards your speedy recovery! :-*
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 06:28:47 am »
When the Only Wing One Can Rely on is the Left Wing . . .

One Tends to Fly in Circles. ;D

I certainly hope you file a complaint against said registrar - she needs to be disciplined for such an obvious oversight, and her qualifying in this field should also be contraindicated.

Hope you manage to avoid the dread nail. Humeral nails are soooo last century.

And yep, I'm one of those hippies transmitting the good stuff your way.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 06:28:58 am »
Glad the surgery went alright and you're back!

Again, many a good vibes and wombat healing powers towards your speedy recovery! :-*

Ooh, wombat healing powers.

Matty, you'll be better in no time.

Offline scud44

• I am watching you
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 06:35:20 am »
I wish you all the best - my thougts are with you at this time.

Just be thankful it wasn't Dr Patel from Bundaberg!!!! - he probably would have amputated the wrong limb!!!!

All the best mate

Regards
Scud
CD4 = 110 - 30 July 2007 - 10%
VL = 139000 - 30 July 2007
CD4 = 252 - 6th August 2007
VL = 16400 - 23rd August 2007
CD4 = 240 - 23rd August 2007
VL = 400 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 96 - 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 120 18th Sept 2007
VL = 386000 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 160 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 110 10th Jan 2008
CD4 = 311 29th Jan 2008
VL = <50 29th Jan 2008
CD4 = 148 2nd April 2008
VL = 110,000 2nd April 2008
June 2010 and nothing has improved

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 06:48:19 am »
Glad to hear you are on the mend. If you need a psych assessment ring me up.  ;)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 06:55:02 am »
I don't know whether laugh or cry...I think I just did both.

Whew, I can breathe now.
Aunty D

Offline ademas

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 09:27:12 am »
I have to admit, I kind of did the hippie healiing vibe thing, and that's so not me...
I'm glad the surgery went well, Matty, and it's sure good to see you back here.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 10:41:52 am »
It's good to read that you're on an upswing, Matty, and that with that one exception you've had great treatment.

Would it help to report that she made a sexually suggestive remark to you? Just wondering...

Cheers,

Andy Velez

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 11:00:50 am »
Good to hear it's on the mend.

Apparently they have time for some pretty intricate writing in their reports  :o. I think you made a lasting impression.

"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 11:02:01 am »
Well, I'm glad you came through that ordeal with your usual elan.

I will be concentrating the healing energy on your "right wing."

Somehow, I have a feeling you will be ambidextrous when it comes to certain tasks.  ::)

BIG HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 12:09:04 pm »
Miss Melia is glad to see her Mattymoo out of nasty hospital, relieved he seems to be being put back together (unlike Humpty Dumpty :D) and delighted that she got to speak with him today. Skypeypoo rocks!

Loves ya baby! :-*
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 01:49:44 pm »
Hey Matty,

So glad you are on the mend honey, and glad to have you back to posting!
We've missed you.

I love Atilla's report....you old sullen uncooperative thing, you!   ;)

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 02:09:43 pm »
Of Course her Majesty is estatic that you and your wing is doing much better. I shall make a Royal Decree that all weed smokers shall blaze up with our left wings in honor of you. ;D
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Dan J.

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 03:51:46 pm »
Get better soon!

:-*

Dan

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 05:30:50 pm »
Hope it heals up quickly Matty and there's no lasting damage.  I also have no idea how you managed to type all that with one hand!

Chris
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 06:56:17 pm »
Thanks all.

As for the typing, well I'm a certified touch typist. I'm talking good. Like 78 wpm with an aggregate accuracy of 100% so it's not a great leap for me to be proficient with one hand. Nevertheless I am much slower and my bung arm makes sitting at the keyboard tiring. It took me more than 30 mins to type the OP in this thread.

Regarding a complaint against Attila the Hen. I am very unhappy about her treatment and subsequent conduct in relation to my case. Nevertheless she is a young and inexperienced doctor and as such is prone to errors. I also believe she made her original diagnosis and treatment orders in good faith. She honestly believed she was doing the right thing. Presumably she works in a stressful, demanding environment and that, along with other factors, led to her making a serious but unintentional blunder.

I don't believe a formal complaint is the right approach here. The machinery of NSW Health is cumbersome and complaints rarely result in a good outcome for anyone involved. But this mismanagement cannot go unremarked.

My GP will review my case and I will ask her to write to the consultant surgeon who supervises Attila with a view to having the matter resolved doctor to doctor so to speak. I feel that with the right professional support from her colleagues Attila can improve her practice. A formal complaint can't undo the misfortunes I've encountered and I fail to see how placing a blight on the record of a young doctor for one error can do any good for anyone. She deserves an opportunity to move on from this.

MtD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 07:48:50 pm »
As for the typing, well I'm a certified touch typist. I'm talking good. Like 78 wpm with an aggregate accuracy of 100% so it's not a great leap for me to be proficient with one hand.

As for the, um...other things he's used to doing with that right hand....well, that's another matter, I imagine.   ;)

Welcome back, Matty.  We've missed ya. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 08:12:29 pm »
Other notes
This patient exhibits an extremely hostile and sullen demeanor [sic] when dealing with medical officers. He is prone to aggressive outbursts marked by abusive and profane language during examinations and is generally uncooperative. Psychiatric assessment was recommended, but the patient refused consent.

How dare she call you a "demon whore" and not spell it properly!

I hope you have some good bed sponge stories, and I hope you have lots of narcotics for pain.............lots.  ::)

Incidentally, are your other one handed activities up to the speed and accuracy of your typing?

J x
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline scud44

• I am watching you
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 09:07:17 pm »
Matty, your patience and tolerance of a totalyy stuffed up medical system is to be praised.

If you want to see "Bad", come down home where the state government is about to walk away from two more hospitals and give them to the Feds.

Good luck on your recovery and hopefully the discomfort does not prevail for too long

best wishes

Scud44
CD4 = 110 - 30 July 2007 - 10%
VL = 139000 - 30 July 2007
CD4 = 252 - 6th August 2007
VL = 16400 - 23rd August 2007
CD4 = 240 - 23rd August 2007
VL = 400 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 96 - 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 120 18th Sept 2007
VL = 386000 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 160 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 110 10th Jan 2008
CD4 = 311 29th Jan 2008
VL = <50 29th Jan 2008
CD4 = 148 2nd April 2008
VL = 110,000 2nd April 2008
June 2010 and nothing has improved

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 09:48:42 pm »
Dear Damned One:
  I've so missed your posts while you were having your limb mended.  I am, like Ann, one of the hippies sending positive energy your way.  Welcome back! 
Love you-
Betty :-* :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 09:56:53 pm »
One Tends to Fly in Circles.

True your Annship, but remember:

Blessed are they who Go Round in Circles, for they shall be known as The Wheels. ;)

MtD

Offline Carolann

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 10:20:28 pm »
Hi Matty,

Glad to hear that things may get better for you and that you may not have to have a pin in your arm. I cannot imagine how painful your injury must be. I hope you heal nicely and that you have full use of your broken wing soon. I am glad tht you are still entertaining us with your other wing. Thanks for keeping us up to date on your medical adventures. It is funny how the idiot intern does not get it that she caused you so much more grief. You are right. She does not know her blank from a hole in the ground! Anyway take care.

Hugs,

CA

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2007, 10:42:16 pm »
Good news. Very thoughtful of you re: the misdiagnoser in every way. Best of luck, collective hippie vibes and whatever else is required to ensure full repair of the nerve. Fly straight ( as it's said ) whenever it is you're cleared for take off.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2007, 06:03:25 am »

I don't believe a formal complaint is the right approach here.

No, I suppose you already punished her enough with your "extremely hostile and sullen demeanor [sic]" and "aggressive outbursts marked by abusive and profane language during examinations".

Bush justice strikes again! ;D

Ann
(who is just a cog in the machine)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.