Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:39:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 624
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 597
Total: 597

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Evaluating Switching to Descovy from Truvada  (Read 3496 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Evaluating Switching to Descovy from Truvada
« on: November 07, 2016, 11:39:24 pm »
Interesting read perhaps for people considering switching.

Jim

More Evidence That Updated Tenofovir Is Safer to Bones and Kidneys
https://www.poz.com/article/evidence-updated-tenofovir-safer-bones-kidneys

Gilead Presents Results from Phase 3 Studies
http://www.gilead.com/news/press-releases/2016/10/gilead-presents-results-from-phase-3-studies-evaluating-switching-to-descovy-ftctafbased-regimens-from-truvada-ftctdfbased-regimens

In Study 1089, 663 virologically suppressed, HIV infected adults were randomized to switch to regimens containing Descovy or continue on regimens containing Truvada, while remaining on the same third agents. At Week 96, virologic suppression (HIV-1 RNA <50 c/mL) was maintained in 89 percent of participants in both groups (difference in percentages: -0.5 percent; 95 percent CI: -5.3 percent to 4.4 percent). Drug-related serious adverse events were rare (Descovy (FTC/TAF)-based regimens, 0 percent; Truvada (FTC/TDF)-based regimens, 0.3 percent) and drug discontinuation due to adverse events was low for both treatment groups (Descovy (FTC/TAF)-based regimens, 2.4 percent; Truvada (FTC/TDF)-based regimens, 1.2 percent). The most commonly reported adverse events included upper respiratory tract infection, diarrhea and nasopharyngitis.

In the same study, the effect of the two regimens on laboratory parameters of kidney and bone health was investigated. Statistically significant differences were observed in mean changes from baseline to Week 96 in bone mineral density (BMD) between patients receiving Descovy (FTC/TAF)-based regimens compared to patients receiving Truvada (FTC/TDF)-based regimens (spine: 2.15 percent vs. -0.17 percent; hip: 1.85 percent vs. -0.33 percent; p<0.05 for both). Additionally, more patients receiving Descovy (FTC/TAF)-based regimens experienced a greater than three percent improvement in BMD from baseline to Week 96, compared with those receiving Truvada (FTC/TDF)-based regimens (spine: 40 percent vs. 18 percent; hip: 29 percent vs. 11 percent; p<0.05 for both).

Differences favoring regimens containing Descovy were also observed in multiple tests of renal laboratory parameters which included median changes from baseline to Week 96 in estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR; +10.00 mL/min vs. +4.00 mL/min; p<0.05) and median percent changes in: urine protein-to-creatinine ratio (-26.0 percent vs. +2.7 percent; p<0.05); urine albumin-to-creatinine ratio (+3.4 percent vs. +27.0 percent; p<0.05); urine retinol binding protein-to-creatinine ratio; (-4.1 percent vs. +42.6 percent; p<0.05); and urine beta-2 microglobulin-to-creatinine ratio (-29.7 percent vs. +46.8 percent; p<0.05). There were no cases of Fanconi syndrome. Additionally, there were no cases of proximal renal tubulopathy in the Descovy (FTC/TAF)-based regimens group, and one case in the Truvada (FTC/TDF)-based regimens group through Week 96.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline wolfter

Re: Evaluating Switching to Descovy from Truvada
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 05:49:08 pm »
I can add annedecotal thoughts.  I made the switch (previous topic here) I will never underestimate the importance that Truvada played in my survival.  I had 2 severe issues with my regimen that could never be solved.  Insomnia and diarhea.  We did differnt things incuding changing me back to Norvir

Got so bad that I switched back.  Once Descovy became available, my dr suggested a change due to my bone issues.  Don't know how that's going and that's fine.  But what I noticed with Descovy is that I actually get tired at night (normal) and fall and stay asleep. 

I now have tooting issues that I never had with Truvada.  I'm slowly getting close to tooting without siiting on my master's throne.  Been having regular bowell movements for the first time in ages.  Still rolle up a paper towell thought.  Only some will get that.  ;)
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.