Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:01:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 344
Total: 345

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Russia  (Read 4936 times)

Offline buginme2

Russia
« on: February 05, 2014, 04:41:15 pm »
As the Winter Olympics are set to begin Human Rights Watch has released this short film detailing the extent of violence LGBT people face in Russia. 

Passage of the “homosexual propaganda” ban and anti-gay statements by leading public figures appear to have fed growing anti-gay violence in Russia in recent months. These include multiple assaults on one of Moscow’s most popular gay clubs; sting operations by organizations like Occupy Pedophilia, where gay men are abducted and humiliated in online videos; and an attack on a social gathering at an HIV services organization in St. Petersburg.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lesterfeder/this-short-film-shows-just-how-terrifying-life-is-for-lgbt-p

www.hrw.org
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline mitch777

Re: Russia
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 05:34:54 pm »
I've seen similar videos from Russia. It's a disturbing society that allows this to continue. We still need improvement here but hate crimes allowed so openly takes it to another level. So sad.  >:( :'(
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 06:43:57 pm »
Putin is a very nasty piece off calculating evil , if I remember correctly the nick name for the Party he heads up is crooks and thieves. Going back to his Governing St. Petersburg where he stole the money allocated to feed the cities elderly he has shown a dictators understanding off power and polotics , Uncle Jo Stalin would be proud off him ,before he had him executed as a possable threat .

He is feeding a long tradition off pogroms .In a BBC World Service interview a couple off weeks ago he was crass enough to say  some off his friends where Gay.

I admit to wanting the whole thing to be embarrassing cock-up and hope that participants wear Tom of Finland Tee Shirts at all times.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 07:40:21 pm »
50 billion bucks down the drain trying to impress the world.  Nobody but nobody is fooled by this Potemkin village.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/sochi2014/2014/02/04/sochi_2014_olympic_host_city_like_a_modernday_potemkin_village.html
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mitch777

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 08:38:04 pm »
Putin is a very nasty piece off calculating evil , if I remember correctly the nick name for the Party he heads up is crooks and thieves. Going back to his Governing St. Petersburg where he stole the money allocated to feed the cities elderly he has shown a dictators understanding off power and polotics , Uncle Jo Stalin would be proud off him ,before he had him executed as a possable threat .

Great description. It's even more frightening that his evilness extends to the meek (not weak).
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 09:29:48 pm »
I will never understand how anyone can stand idle, while allowing fellow citizens, to deprive other citizens of their basic human rights.  I have read so many comments by Russian citizens that would fit in nicely with Nazi Germany.  I believe the IOC made a huge mistake in allowing Russia to host the games and something tells me, parts of it are not going to be pretty.

What a horrible country to live in, if you happen to be born gay.  The only ones who can stop this are the Russian citizens, but I doubt that will ever happen.  It is so much easier to hate something you do not understand, than to take the time to gain the knowledge required to stop fearing a non-existent threat.

Alcoholism and hatred are perfect partners.  All they need is a target and for good people to do nothing.

Joe

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 09:58:36 pm »
50 billion bucks down the drain trying to impress the world.  Nobody but nobody is fooled by this Potemkin village.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/sochi2014/2014/02/04/sochi_2014_olympic_host_city_like_a_modernday_potemkin_village.html

I hope no one is fooled.  At first I was upset that the IOC chose Russia, then upset that the US didn't pull out, now I'm happy that both are there bringing attention to this.   Hopefully, with the world watching and seeing how f'ed up this is some change can be realized.   

Would we be talking about this if it wasn't for the Olympics?  I'm hoping the attention can do some good.

Offline mecch

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 10:27:20 pm »
I think there is a fair amount of attention to letting the world know about countries with gross persecution of LGBTQ people. 

I spend a lot of my time keeping up with global media so maybe I have a warped perspective on that. Seems like I read a fair amount of articles and there are always documentaries coming out.

Speaking of, I had coffee this week with a gay guy from Ghana here in Switzerland seeking official asylum. Apparently it is pretty difficult to get asylum here based on LGBTQ persecution.  Switzerland itself has weak and sometimes no specific protections for LGBTQ people.

Its not a subject I know much about, (who gets asylum, who doesn't, where, etc.) though I started thinking more on it last year when I learned about Russians seeking asylum in cities like San Francisco...

Yes I think the Olympics being hosted does help put a spotlight on the abuses in Russia but the anti-gay campaigns have been covered since they started up...

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 10:37:36 pm »
I hope no one is fooled.  At first I was upset that the IOC chose Russia, then upset that the US didn't pull out, now I'm happy that both are there bringing attention to this.   Hopefully, with the world watching and seeing how f'ed up this is some change can be realized.   

Would we be talking about this if it wasn't for the Olympics?  I'm hoping the attention can do some good.

By the way, I thought the scandal this week was that the IOC President said SHUT UP, world, about gay rights and politics... just enjoy the games.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/04/thomas-bach-sochi-olympics_n_4725197.html

I am sure some millions of the 50 billion that disappeared in Russia went into lining the pockets of IOC insiders, though they claim to have cleaned that up. Highly doubtful.   

The Olympics Committee is a pretty vile, polluted lot.  The spirit of the Olympics is fine ad dandy, but the oversight and administration is a colossal failure of vision.  They publicly condemn the extravagance, but they let most of the host nations continue on that route.  Billions of citizens', tax-payers' funds, disappear into developers pockets, and kickbacks, and more often than not the public gets little return on the investment.   

Swiss business leaders are always trying to get another olympics but here the PUBLIC gets to vote on whether a bid can be offered, and the public tells the business and IOC to forget about it, they will NOT be suckered into subsidising such grandiosity, blow hard edifice complexes, and graft.

If the IOC had a spine they would DEMAND green olympics, and also set spending limits...  The olympics would be MUCH more elegant and inspiring without the waste and tacky grandiosity.   
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:41:24 pm by mecch »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 11:38:50 am »
Russia poisoning stray dogs in the streets of Sochi to rid them before Olypics, leaving them to die agonizing deaths that sometimes last hours.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/05/world/europe/russia-sochi-stray-dogs/

FYI, there is a video in the link that is very disturbing.

yay olympics in Russia!  ::)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Theyer

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 12:13:15 pm »
Am reading interesting article in latest Vanity Fair , it details how all off Mr Putins friends from St Petersburg have made squillions and how quite a few crime bosses from the region had early retirement due to lead in brain accidents . However the new train station roof tiles don,t fit , then fall off ditto floor. The high jump run construction story could be the book for a comic Opera , One official is quoted saying he has never seen a Balance sheet , for any off the projects . Has the decision for the next Games been decided yet?

Oh and the wonderful Eastern Bloc tradition off service seems to be still going strong.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline buginme2

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 12:26:55 pm »
Has everyone seen googles doodle with the gay flag colors?  They are awesome.

Meanwhile, back at Sochi

http://www.buzzfeed.com/bennyjohnson/proof-that-sochi-is-a-godforsaken-hellscape-right-now

Offline Theyer

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 12:53:09 pm »
I think I have changed my mind about watching Sochi, it looks like its heading for the most expensive cock-up /embarressment ever the press meetings are going to be a hoot . But What an insult to the competitors , The authorities who deal with pesky journo,s by assassination are going to have there hands full . The competitors should just leave and meet up in Canada .

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 05:37:58 pm »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mecch

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 07:16:38 pm »
Well I'm at a party tonight in the high alps and the opening ceremony is on a big screen, and I must say, its pretty spectacular mis en scene...  Politics aside, of course.
And we were placing bets thinking they would ignore the Soviet era but they threw it all in there.  In fact everything was in that spectacle, except the kitchen sink.. 

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 07:44:19 pm »
Another Canadian response:  Mother Russia

http://youtu.be/lSYSIIjizcw

Joe

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 12:39:31 am »
Chevrolet is running these commercials during the Olympics.  They include gay couples. 

http://youtu.be/ks-SgE_waSo

http://youtu.be/g1tkYZ5m0rU

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 01:13:04 am »
Another Canadian response:  Mother Russia

Vel dun

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.