Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:59:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 366
Total: 366

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Interesting Links re: Seattle  (Read 58171 times)

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
Re: Interesting Links re: Seattle
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2011, 09:11:05 pm »
I thought the scavenger hunt in Boston was a great time.  (Of course I was on the winning team.   ;D  Special thanks to Bocker [former long term resident] and the D's for their I phones.)
Steaming tea kettle, how if the heck could anyone miss it?  It was right there on the side of a Starbucks, for goodness sakes.  I still remember Killfoile with all his ink, going into McDonalds asking for a job app.  

Jan, you're right, I would leave you behind "leggless", if it came down to a choice of victory vs friendship.  But rest assured, I'd eventually work my way back to retrieve you.  EVENTUALLY.

I noticed the link Ody supplied said that "Seattle bufs" won't have any additional advantage because of the way the hunt is formated.

I think that sucks!  While I've been gone from Seattle nearly 15 years and probably wouldn't be much help, at least I would have some knowledge.

I say we do it.

RAB   ;D

Who prefers to be called RAB in the forums.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:22:51 pm by RAB »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2011, 09:39:40 pm »
 I still remember Killfoile with all his ink, going into McDonalds asking for a job app.  

ROFLMAO
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2011, 10:27:38 am »
As you know, Grunge Rock (the Seattle Sound) was big in the 1980s.  The city always seems to be on the cutting edge when it comes to giving music to the world. 

Lets find these guys in Pioneer Square and perhaps they will come up with a theme song for AMG11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUCQSm1bpd4

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2011, 01:58:57 pm »
Here's a link to Seattle's "alternative" newspaper.  Dan Savage write a weekly column, it's how he got his start.
http://www.thestranger.com/

RAB   ;D

Offline BikerGuy

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2011, 10:52:21 pm »
No iPhones were used in the winning. We had Bocker, besides they were 1st gen iPhones.
Anall nathrach - Oorfas bethud - Dorhiel dienvay

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2011, 11:15:52 pm »
No iPhones were used in the winning. We had Bocker, besides they were 1st gen iPhones.

This is from the man himself:

Some of us are just better at deciphering clues (of course the dualing iPhones of the Davids didn't hurt either).

I'm just saying.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2011, 07:31:01 am »
This is from the man himself:

I'm just saying.

Aroha

I must admit -- There was one clue about which I was, well, clueless.......  I forget the exact details, but it was about a statue (some animal, perhaps??) -- I could tell that it was somewhere near the Omni Parker House by the clue, but the rest was solved with the help of google. 

So... while that one was a hard one, I still stand by the fact that the steaming kettle was the easiest damned clue of the bunch!!

Mike

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2011, 06:49:47 pm »
I must admit -- There was one clue about which I was, well, clueless.......  I forget the exact details, but it was about a statue (some animal, perhaps??) -- I could tell that it was somewhere near the Omni Parker House by the clue, but the rest was solved with the help of google. 

So... while that one was a hard one, I still stand by the fact that the steaming kettle was the easiest damned clue of the bunch!!

Mike

If you are talking about the Donkey we had no problems finding it... :D

Aroha

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2011, 07:25:59 pm »

Aroha

We found it too missy.  In fact the only thing we didn't get was a picture of two guys wearing a redsox hat.

We actually got it, but we misread the clue, I think we all had to be in that pic, and we weren't.

Ah the thrill of VICTORY (us), the AGONY (everyone else) of defeat. 

Now get over it.

RAB 

(Who has a ribbon but no trophy   ???)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2011, 08:27:05 pm »
We found it too missy.  In fact the only thing we didn't get was a picture of two guys wearing a redsox hat.

We actually got it, but we misread the clue, I think we all had to be in that pic, and we weren't.

Ah the thrill of VICTORY (us), the AGONY (everyone else) of defeat. 

Now get over it.

RAB 

(Who has a ribbon but no trophy   ???)

We got everyone in the photo and WON the best photo award for it... ;D.

Aroha

Offline bocker3

« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2011, 10:27:56 pm »

Aroha

I'm going to steer clear of the many "jackass" jokes that this comment is just begging for.......    ;)  :-*

Hugs,
M

Offline Basquo

« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2011, 10:00:48 am »
Good God, people, what does all this banter about Boston have to do with the price of coffee in Seattle? Can we please focus? or start a thread titled "We Loved Boston and We Just Can't Move On..."

Come, look ahead! Seattle is a little over 2 months away and we need some plans! There's this Seattle Citypass thing that Santi and I are going to get:

http://www.citypass.com/seattle?mv_source=partnerfusion&cmpid=google_Seattle%20CityPass&mkwid=sMxgpu7zL&pcrid=5835980309&gclid=CNfxxe6-q6kCFQHsKgodVnS6MA

and here's what to do on Sunday: we're all invited to my friend's birthday party on Sunday night. I haven't seen him in 23 years but he said the more, the merrier!

and remember the OP was:
This thread would be a good place for members to post links they've found regarding Seattle.  I'm thinking it might turn into a fun potpourri of information, attractions, and facts regarding the site of AMG 2011.

Because of the recent discussion regarding weather, I'm going to start it off with this link, click on the button "Seattle Climate Data" toward the end of the opening post.

http://beautifulseattle.com/

I'd encourage everyone to submit additional links.

RAB   ;D

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2011, 05:54:17 pm »
wow   that  city pass is a real  bargain..... have  to get one..   anyone  local  can get us a group  discount better  than this????     maybe a deal on a Transit pass???

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline buginme2

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2011, 10:33:16 am »
New york times did an article on some seattle restaurants.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/travel/eating-in-around-seattle.html?src=dayp

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:35:38 am by buginme2 »
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2011, 12:09:38 pm »
New york times did an article on some seattle restaurants.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/travel/eating-in-around-seattle.html?src=dayp

Hey Bug, the link didn't work for me.  Says the page does not exist.   ???

RAB

Offline buginme2

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2011, 12:18:28 pm »
Damn Iphone. Its on nytimes.com today. Ill try and post it soon, or if someone else could im not at home roght now
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2011, 02:25:42 pm »
Damn Iphone. Its on nytimes.com today. Ill try and post it soon, or if someone else could im not at home roght now

Let's see if this works:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/travel/eating-in-and-around-seattle.html

Edit to add:  Seems to.

Thanks for the heads up on this bug.  It's a good article and accurate description of Seattle's food.

RAB
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 02:27:46 pm by RAB »

Offline Basquo

« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2011, 07:24:03 pm »
Update on my friends birthday party: it's actually going to be Saturday night, and it's a public venue that I think everyone will be agreeable to. I'll PM the details to everyone.

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2011, 04:54:45 pm »
Thanks for the heads up on the City Pass.  Curtis and I are going for it.  The venues mostly look like must do's and the price is great.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2011, 10:53:04 pm »
I didn't read through this whole thread but I was wondering if the walking tour under the sidewalks of Seattle is worth doing ? It sounds like something I would like .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2011, 10:35:28 pm »
IMHO not nearly as good as the first flash mob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftt9wCYH4o0

Whatever.

See you all in Seattle! 

RAB   ;D

Offline Basquo

« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2011, 11:54:37 pm »
Update on the Citypass...it includes the Experience Music Project which Michael says is fantastic. He's a passholder. Evidently it was founded through Jimi Hendrix's estate and has evolved into a lot more. The monorail is right there (short as it is) and the Science Fiction Museum is inside it as well, from what I understand.

We are thinking about doing the Music/Sci-Fi thing on Friday afternoon. Breakfast, Memorial Service, Michael takes us to a fabulous off-track seafood restaurant, then the Music/Sci-Fi, then probably a short disco-nap is in order before spramping up for the Meet-n-Greet.

Still thinking about when to go to the zoo, aquarium, etc. I definitely want to go to the locks and underwater salmon-viewing windows, which I believe is free, and hopefully they will have the guide wires ready so's Jan and Robert and Will and me can jump off the Space Needle.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2011, 02:21:16 am »
. I definitely want to go to the locks and underwater salmon-viewing windows, which I believe is free, and hopefully they will have the guide wires ready so's *Jan and Robert and Will and me can jump off the Space Needle.

*That sounds like a plan.

The Zoo is a must so will have to work on that as well.

Aroha

Offline wolfter

« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2011, 06:27:51 am »

hopefully they will have the guide wires ready so's Jan and Robert and Will and me can jump off the Space Needle.

Don't forget about Wolfie.  I bungeed off the 2nd tallest bridge in the world in Fayetteville WVA.  It spans the New River Gorge where we go white water rafting (has class 5 rapids).  You know what the last words of my hillbillies are; "hey bubba, watch this"...lol

Kinda weird that I'm terrified of flying but will do any crazy activity offered.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2011, 07:03:52 am »

Kinda weird that I'm terrified of flying but will do any crazy activity offered.

I'm a bit like that Wolfie, I'll try anything once, but I'm not terrified of flying I just don't like it.

See you at the space needle.. ;)

Aroha

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2011, 09:17:00 am »
I bungeed off the 2nd tallest bridge in the world in Fayetteville WVA.  It spans the New River Gorge where we go white water rafting (has class 5 rapids). 
omigod! I've done that too! I loooove going down the New River. We've shot the rapids on the upper and lower halves maybe 7 or 8 times. Having lived on both sides of the Appalachians, whether in OH or the Carolinas, W VA is a lovely place to visit (but I wouldn't want to live there! LOL) It's a great place to ski in too (although in my case that was mainly just falling down the mountain. ROFL I can't water ski either :( ). Maybe we should have an AMG in W VA one year  :D ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2011, 09:30:26 am »
When I was there a few years ago doing the upper gulley with a group of friends there was a group of gay people taking the adventure.  They were staying next to us at the campground and I had a blast with them.  We're scheduling a cousins reunion in September to do that adventure.  I love that place and it's not far from our original homestead.  It would be a great AMG location. 

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2011, 01:44:56 pm »
Seattle is home to 2 of the most spectacular sports facilities:

Safeco Field where the Mariners play (unfortunately for Jan, Robert, and all you other MLB fans they'll be on the road when we are there).

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/sea/ballpark/index.jsp

And Qwest Field (Soon to be renamed Century Link Field) where the Seahawks (football) and Sounders (soccer) play.

http://www.qwestfield.com/

Those arriving by either Amtrak or the Light Rail from the airport will pass right by both of them.

RAB   ;D

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2011, 01:16:31 pm »
Well if you're thinking of eating oysters while in Seattle, you probably shouldn't read this story.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43702979/ns/us_news-environment/

RAB   >:(

Who can't eat seafood anyway.   ;)

Offline Basquo

« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2011, 08:42:50 pm »
I'm sure they will be fine if they are cooked, especially fried. Just like rabbit and squirrel, you shouldn't eat raw oysters in a month that doesn't have an "R" in it.  August = no; September = yes.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2011, 11:07:32 am »
I'm sure they will be fine if they are cooked, especially fried. Just like rabbit and squirrel, you shouldn't eat raw oysters in a month that doesn't have an "R" in it.  August = no; September = yes.

That's a big myth -- we have local oysters all year.

http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/faq/fishfaq5b.html

I go to a specialty place here that serves oysters from Chincoteague up to Cape May and also Long Island. Prepare to spend $25-$30 for a dozen. Which is why I go when an out-of-towner is present and on an expense account :) They also regularly feature Royal Miyagi oysters which are from Vancouver Is., British Columbia so same species found in Puget Sound. They are a species that are originally from Japan. If you want native oysters in Seattle you have to make sure it is an Olympia oyster. I believe they are now much less prevalent than the Pacific Oyster (like the Royal Miyagi) because those are much easier to cultivate.

http://www.goodfoodworld.com/2011/07/breakup-of-farms-into-5-acre-farmettes-puts-shellfish-at-risk/
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:16:03 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2011, 03:06:14 pm »
Here are two links about Seattle's China Town (International District).

While small compared to say SF or Vancouver, it's still packed with lots of markets, restaurants, and sight seeing.  I know Robert loves any China Town.   :-*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBDP0LY3OUM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9XOH_gQ5Ec

RAB   ;D

Offline wolfter

« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2011, 06:20:53 pm »
Here are two links about Seattle's China Town (International District).

While small compared to say SF or Vancouver, it's still packed with lots of markets, restaurants, and sight seeing.  I know Robert loves any China Town.   :-*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBDP0LY3OUM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9XOH_gQ5Ec

RAB   ;D
Chinatown also has a vegetarian restaurant called the Bamboo Garden that I'd love to try.  I wonder if everything there will be ready in 5 minute?  Actually, I'm quite surprised how many veggie restaurant Seattle has.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bamboo-garden-vegetarian-cuisine-seattle

Offline Basquo

« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2011, 09:43:25 am »
That's a big myth -- we have local oysters all year.

http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/faq/fishfaq5b.html

Just because a belief is less prevelant doesn't make it a myth. 

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060929075527AAfaXfw

The one time I got sick from raw oysters was in July. Maybe they're safe in cooler climes but you do NOT want to eat raw Gulf oysters out of season. Please trust me on this.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2011, 04:55:42 pm »
I'm going to be very curious what I think of the new (well "new" in the sense it was built after we moved) central Library.  It's design and architecture is to say the least, unusual.  I remember when the design was originally submitted, it caused a lot of controvery. 

This library was built on the site of the previous library (which was a rat hole).  In the interim the library temporarily located to the convention center (which along with Freeway Park) straddles I-5).

http://www.spl.org/locations/central-library/cen-plan-a-visit

RAB 

Who admits to getting excited.

Offline lipoenvy

« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2011, 04:47:33 pm »
Chinatown also has a vegetarian restaurant called the Bamboo Garden that I'd love to try.  I wonder if everything there will be ready in 5 minute?  Actually, I'm quite surprised how many veggie restaurant Seattle has.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bamboo-garden-vegetarian-cuisine-seattle

Just a heads-up if you look for Bamboo Garden -- it's not in the International District, it's just north of Seattle Center (where the Space Needle, the Opera House, Intiman, and Key Arena are).  The I.D. is at the south edge of downtown; Seattle Center is north of downtown.

Does Seattle have vegetarian restaurants?  Does Milwaukee have beer?  Cafe Flora (on Madison -- a real estate agent would call the area Capitol Hill) is the biggest name - upscale menus and upscale prices.  Sunlight Cafe (Roosevelt district, north of University district) is a hippie throwback, but a good one.  And Gelatiamo downtown on 3rd Ave generally doesn't put meat in their gelato, except a little bit of Spam.

Some excellent food (depending on who on staff made it), but not cheap, can be had at the deli at PCC Natural Market in Fremont.  "PCC" because it's PC but even more so.  They got your vegan, they got your gluten-free, they got your not-processed-in-a-facility-within-3.5-miles-of-peanuts.  Be careful not to get trampled by the yuppies from Getty Images and Adobe.

lipoenvy

Meat is murder -- tasty, tasty murder

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2011, 05:04:52 pm »
just  a reminder  to  get  a  Citypass  if you plan see any of the most popular  attractions...    www.citypass.com   for  Seattle,good deal at  1/2 price

Nick

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2011, 05:19:46 pm »
just  a reminder  to  get  a  Citypass  if you plan see any of the most popular  attractions...    www.citypass.com   for  Seattle,good deal at  1/2 price

Nick

Does ths have to be done in advance, or can we just do it once we're there?

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2011, 05:28:11 pm »
RAB  it wasnt  clear  if you could do it there ,  so I did it  online...   same  with the shuttle  bus...actually need a reservation for that one.....  for  depart and pickup....  in  any case  it  could save  waiting in lines and filling out  forms  

Nick

BTW......  if  more than 10 people  want to go to a particular attraction at the same time  it is best to call and tell them a group is  coming...like  the  space needle... and others
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 05:31:10 pm by pozniceguy »

Offline bocker3

« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2011, 05:44:16 pm »
Does ths have to be done in advance, or can we just do it once we're there?
You can buy it online or at any of the attraction sites.  Of course, if you have the pass already, you can skip the ticket lines........ 

Sid and I have ours already.

See you soon!

M

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2011, 10:24:04 pm »
Light Rail from SeaTac to Downtown:

This leaves from the airport every 10 minutes and will take us to the last stop (westlake Center) which is just 2 blocks from the hotel. It may be the way to get out of the airport fast and into the city. Just a thought. The fair is $2.75 per person.

http://www.soundtransit.org/Rider-Guide/Link-light-rail.xml

SoundTransit - Link light rail
www.soundtransit.org

Link light rail general service information

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2011, 12:10:26 pm »
Just wanted to add that if you do plan to take light rail from the airport, you need to make your way the the 4th level of the airport parking garage for access to the pedestrian walkway leading to the station. 

http://www.portseattle.org/about/maps/lightrail.shtml

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.