Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:41:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 327
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 316
Total: 316

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: More Progress Toward The Goal Of Eradication  (Read 8578 times)

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
More Progress Toward The Goal Of Eradication
« on: October 01, 2009, 06:37:06 pm »
AIDS Cure Moves Closer as Study Shows How to Kill Hidden Virus

By Simeon Bennett

Oct. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Scientists in the U.S. moved closer to a cure for AIDS, identifying a way to find drugs that would help rid patients of the hardest-to-reach pockets of HIV that now defy treatment.

Current anti-HIV drugs reduce the virus to undetectable levels without eradicating it. The virus survives by lying dormant in immune-system cells, where the medicines don’t reach them. Scientists from Johns Hopkins University and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute reported today that they developed a way of luring out these cells in laboratory experiments, an achievement that they said may lead to a cure if repeated in humans.

In 2007, about 2.7 million people were newly infected with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, and 2 million died of the disease, making it the world’s deadliest infectious malady, according to the Geneva-based World Health Organization, an arm of the United Nations. Scientists looking to stop HIV have turned to attacking so-called latent reservoirs of the virus after efforts to prevent infection, such as vaccines and gels, largely failed.

“This is a way in which you could envision finding a drug that would, in conjunction with existing treatment, allow us to cure patients,” said Robert Siliciano, the professor who led the study at Johns Hopkins’s medical school in Baltimore. More research is needed, he said.

For about 12 years, doctors have known that HIV, or human immunodeficiency virus, can lie dormant in immune-system cells called resting CD4s found in the lymph nodes, spleen and blood. There the virus stops replicating, avoiding the drugs designed to kill it.

Roaring Back

Studies have shown latent HIV comes roaring back when treatment is interrupted, condemning patients to a lifetime on drugs such as Abbott Laboratories’ Kaletra that can cause side effects including nausea, liver damage and fat buildup. Eliminating the last vestiges of the virus could cure patients of the disease, allowing them to stop treatment.

Siliciano’s team mimicked HIV latency in a lab dish using a gene called Bcl-2 to turn normal CD4s into resting cells capable of hosting the dormant form of HIV.

The researchers used the model to test 2,400 chemicals, finding 17 that coaxed the virus out of hiding, kick-starting its normal process of replication. In a human, that would make the virus susceptible to drugs. The best performer was a compound called 5HN found in the leaves, bark and roots of the black walnut tree.

Continued...

LINK:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601124&sid=aLtx21gY.G5c

Offline GNYC09

Re: More Progress Toward The Goal Of Eradication
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 07:12:59 pm »
very interesting!!  ;D

Offline tash08

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 07:43:53 pm »
There are few compounds already being studied. For example prostratin;
Prostratin is a protein kinase C activator found in the bark of the mamala tree of Samoa, Homalanthus nutans (Euphorbiaceae). While prostratin was originally isolated and identified as a new phorbol from species of the genus Pimelea (Thymelaceae) in Australia, the antiviral activity of prostratin was discovered during research on the traditional knowledge of Samoan healers by ethnobotanist Paul Alan Cox and a team at the U.S. National Cancer Institute. Samoan healers use the mamala tree to treat hepatitis. Research indicated that prostratin has potential to be useful in the treatment of HIV as it could flush viral reservoirs in latently infected CD4+ T-cells.

Now, AIDS Research Alliance has signed an agreement with a major Contract Research Organization to conduct the remaining pharmacokinetic and toxicology studies of prostratin required by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to start testing it in human phase I studies.This year, ARA continues to work collaboratively with researchers across the country to advance this landmark and pioneering line of research. AIDS Research Alliances hopes to complete all of the necessary pre-clinical studies on prostratin by the beginning of 2010, clearing the way for human clinical trials.

If the scientists at AIDS Research Alliance are correct about prostratin, prostratin will revolutionize HIV therapy. Working in combination with HAART therapy, prostratin could be the “one-two” punch we need to eradicate HIV from the body.

http://www.aidsresearch.org

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 07:54:38 pm by tash08 »
01/04/06-HIV-
03/09/06-HIV+
05/07-Atripla
04/01/10 CD4-681, VL-UD
07/10/10 CD4-450, VL-UD
10/10/10 CD4-473, VL-UD
01/21/11 cd4-522, VL-UD
05/02/11 CD4-638, VL-UD <20 copies Hell yeah!
08/3/12 CD4-806, VL-UD

Offline elf

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 10:11:04 pm »
Thanks for these great news.  :)

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:52:47 pm by elf »

Offline georgep77

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 10:36:23 pm »
This is the kind of Great news that makes me Prrrr  !!!

:D

Thanks Inch for the info & link

Come on Sangamo,  Geovax,  Bionor immuno, ...Make us happy !!!
+ 2008

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 12:33:21 am »
lets bomabrd the bugger though i dont excpect eradication to be soft and sweet but its just worth going through the risk.Driving a car is risky !
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline veritas

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 05:53:51 am »

Inch,

Nice find ! Further evidence that there are many avenues being pursued to defeat this disease. The many collaborations going on throughout the world is an indication that HIV's days are numbered.

Tash08,

I read the following on your link:

ARA’s main areas of focus include:

•Antiretroviral drugs Classes of Drugs

•Opportunistic infections – for example, pneumocystis carinii peumonia.

•Alternative therapies with a holistic approach to HIV management – such as vitamins and pomegranate juice.

•HIV-related metabolic disorders that arise from drug toxicities – like lipodystrophy.

•Prevention strategies – for example, vaccines and microbicides

•New technologies and tools – such as “quick-response” oral HIV tests

•Strategies to eradicate HIV from people living with HIV/AIDS – such as prostratin

Do you have any further information as to the avenues being pursued for metabolic problems specifically lipoatrohy and neuropathy? I know from reading this board that many members suffer from these toxicities.

Thanks for the link.

sensual1973,

It's great to see a glimmer of hope in your post  ! Don't worry it might take some time but it will happen.

v

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 06:56:17 pm »
poz.com/aidsmeds.com has an article about this research, it basically says the same thing as the Bloomberg piece linked above but at the end they mention that:

AIDSmeds will release an in-depth web exclusive in the coming weeks about this promising news.

LINK:

http://www.poz.com/articles/hiv_reservoir_latent_761_17351.shtml

Part of the reason this research is promising is that it's being conducted by Robert Siciliano at Johns Hopkins. He has an excellent reputation and has been working on HIV for many years, this is someone who knows what he's doing when it comes to HIV research. He's one of the leading authorities on the reservoirs and HIV latency in particular.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 12:34:55 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 07:16:41 pm »
Very interesting article Inchlingblue.  Thanks for sharing.

sensual1973,

It's great to see a glimmer of hope in your post  ! Don't worry it might take some time but it will happen.

Heh, looks like our yoplait mate is ready to leave the dark side behind.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 11:32:03 pm »
i might be gloomy yes,but on the other hand i see some ridiculous optimism like :"days of hiv are limited or counted ...etc".in general i dont like to keep my hopes high when it comes to hiv atleast in the next decade or so,on the other hand i know that only meds will continue getting better.

ps: i dont like kidnaping the main topic of this thread,sorry.

Offline a2z

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 07:24:30 am »

Part of the reason this research is promising is that it's being conducted by Robert Siciliano at Johns Hopkins. He has an excellent reputation and has been working on HIV for many years, this is someone who knows what he's doing when it comes to HIV research. He's one of the leading authorities on the reservoirs and HIV latency in particular.

Does this mean the public will directly benefit from the results of this research?  If so that is especially exciting.
Dates are blood draw dates:
3/12/15: CD4 941, 36.4%, VL UD
9/4/14: CD4 948, 37.9%, VL 150
5/23/14: CD4 895 --.-% VL UD - Truvada/Isentress
09/21/09: CD4 898 27.0% VL 120 - back on track, same meds.High level enzymes, but less so
06/15/09: CD4 478 21.8% VL 1150 - high liver enzymes... looks like I may not be resistant
05/22/09: Fixed insurance, resumed medicine
04/17/09: Ran out of medicine, could not resolve insurance problems
04/01/09: CD4 773 28% VL 120 - high liver enzymes
12/01/08: CD4 514 23% VL 630
10/17/08 started Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada. -- possibly minor neuropathy, but otherwise okay.
9/10/08: CD4 345 17%, VL > 78K
8/18/08: CD4 312 18%, VL > 60K (considering meds)
12/19/07: CD4 550 28% VL > 100K (no meds yet)
Diagnosed 10/23/07

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 11:12:41 am »
Does this mean the public will directly benefit from the results of this research?  If so that is especially exciting.

As the Bloomberg article says:

The findings are an advance that may allow researchers to come up with a drug they could start testing in humans, Kent said.

“To get something like that into clinical trials is only a few short years -- it’s not decades,” he said. “Then it’s got to work.”

The important aspect of this research is that they have devised a way to test different compounds in order to come up with some that will work; there was  no way to efficiently test compounds before.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 02:11:17 pm »
I collected a wheel barrow of black walnuts the other day.
I'll make all sorts of goodies and besides enjoying them, perhaps hope that it might be reducing my reservoir.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 07:28:24 pm »
The big news is the development of the in-vitro latent mode (imo one of the most important discoveries with regards to aids research this past decade) that Siciliano's lab discovered. I believe this was discussed earlier this year at CROI if  I am not mistaken. Not sure if it was Siciliano who mentioned it but a speaker said that after having made this discovery it would only be a matter of time before they started finding compounds that would awaken latent virus reservoirs. I am happy to see that it only took months after its announcement that they have already discovered a few compounds. Hope they keep up the work. Nice to see this happen after all the doom and gloom the no-hope-for-a-cure patrol spewed out after the vaccine success announcement a couple weeks back that scientists would give up on finding a cure.

Offline marius68

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 07:20:56 am »
A bit off-target but found these comments of Dr. Luc Montagnier very important and inline with the feelings of many members of the forum:

"Montagnier said AIDS can be eradicated even without a preventive vaccine. Scientists should focus on developing a so- called therapeutic vaccine that doctors would use in conjunction with antiretroviral drugs to rid patients of HIV and keep it from coming back.

“Of course, every initiative which tries to fight AIDS is good in principle,” Montagnier said.

Still, “many millions” of dollars have been spent on preventative vaccines without success, he said. “There should have been more on the cure, more on the treatment, than vaccines.”

The whole story is here:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601081&sid=a6pX0Wb3jfNo

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 09:11:43 am »
its true why want to cure someone not infected,when you have the infectred not cured ?

Offline tommy246

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 09:47:59 am »
This is more fantastic news and the fact that this web site is going post a big write up on it means its a very significant breakthrough. Modern medicine is making immense advances in all fields and i am really optimistic that very soon the breakthrough will come in the fight against hiv even sooner than we think 3to 5 years is my prediction.
jan 06 neg
dec 08 pos cd4 505 ,16%, 1,500vl
april 09 cd4 635 ,16%,60,000
july 09 ,cd4 545,17%,80,000
aug 09,hosptal 18days pneumonia cd190,225,000,15%
1 week later cd4 415 20%
nov 09 cd4 591 ,vl 59,000,14%,started atripla
dec 09  cd4 787, vl 266, 16%
march 2010  cd4 720 vl non detectable -20  20%
june 2010  cd4  680, 21%, ND

Offline moskimo

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 04:57:01 pm »
When will this happen, i think and hope it will be in my time.i am only six months into meds and i am fed up.i wonder what will happen to me in the next five years still popping this cocktail into my system.i am 35 this year and quote me if they dont come up with something to purge us of this malady, we will all turn to something else.please hurry dear scientists my patience is running out.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.