Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:20:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773196
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 376
Total: 377

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Decisons, decisions  (Read 6184 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Decisons, decisions
« on: June 14, 2008, 02:34:04 am »
I have been using an Advair inhaler since the middle of May. It has helped me overcome some initial problems, but I have to admit its a pain.

Using an inhaler isn't that bad. Actually, its a no brainer for me. But you must rinse and preferably gargle with Listerine or Cepacol mouthwash after each use to prevent the onset of thrush.

The last thing I want is an up close and personal acquaintance with thrush.

Apparently, having a pretty good CD4 doesn't matter. The Advair contains things like steroids that cause the growth of thrush, or allow it.

Anyway, I have decided to stop using the inhaler. I have my doctor's blessing. He really doesn't want me to use it all the time anyway because of the side effects.

So, as soon as I use up this diskette, I will cease using it. I can always start again if I should need to.

But I am still experiencing the whole abdominal pain problem for which there seems to be no explanation.

I had the scans, with dye, X-rays, and have been poked and prodded endlessly.  That was how they found about the NASH issue.

The doc thought my acid reflux might be causing the pain, but acid stomach hasn't really bothered me since I went back on Protonix.

But, I have noticed something. The pain seems worse when I eat fatty foods or foods high in fat content.

What does this mean? I haven't a clue. I'm not a doctor.

But, I will ask the doc when I see him.

'Til then, I guess I better stick to the low-fat, low cholesterol, gluten free, dairy free diet I have come to love.  :P

So, what is the point of this post? There isn't one. I just wanted to vent.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 02:41:22 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Decisons, decisions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 02:43:15 am »
But, I have noticed something. The pain seems worse when I eat fatty foods or foods high in fat content.

I'm no Doctor Mark but that would indicate to me that you have some sort of ulcer developing..sorry you are still having problems..and I'm sorry that's all I've got for you.

Hope you have a good weekend.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 02:48:47 am »
I'm no Doctor Mark but that would indicate to me that you have some sort of ulcer developing..sorry you are still having problems..and I'm sorry that's all I've got for you.

Hope you have a good weekend.

Hugs
Jan :-*

Hey Jan,

I have a multigenerational family history of ulcers on my father's side of the family. Both my dad and grandfather had ulcers that ruptured. It killed my grandfather when peritonitis set in.

I will mention this to the doc too. Thanks for the heads up.

HUGS,

Mark

Who is really anxious to see Dame Jan in Mexico City!!!!
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 05:30:23 am »
Mark,
 I'm sorry you are having abdominal pain. Is it a small pain, which grows larger when you eat? or do you ever have a time when it doesn't hurt?

I don't have any advice other than sharing your concern... and a small then larger pain in the abdominal area.

good luck with your doc appointment,
I hope they find a reason..that can be taken care of easily
ronnie
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 07:56:14 am »
Mark, I don't blame you for not wanting to risk getting thrush.  It's such an awful thing. 

I don't have any solid advice about what's going on with your tummy, but I sure hope the doc can figure it out soon for you. :-*
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 03:29:36 pm »
Mark go eat a good Italian spicy dinner and then do a shot. If it tears up your gut don't do it again.  ;) Have the MYLANTAŽ ready just incase. Hope you feel better soon.

Rodney

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 05:58:36 pm »
Sorry you're having problems honey.....

hope your doctor can figure out the answer, and get you some relief soon!

hugs,

Alan  :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 11:50:59 pm »
its really important to rinse very well and then spit the water out after using advair to prevent thrush,
rinse---gargle spit out and repeat
DO NOT SWALLOW
spit it all out
this should prevent thrush

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 08:43:14 am »
its really important to rinse very well and then spit the water out after using advair to prevent thrush,
rinse---gargle spit out and repeat
DO NOT SWALLOW
spit it all out
this should prevent thrush

Poz, Mark states in his first post that he does this.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline weasel

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 12:46:40 pm »
Hey Mark ,
               I can relate  to BELLY  problems , big hurt , no answers !

I have found that I can eat  good  food   I.E.  cooked at home , Itailian  stuff , beef stroganoff  , chicken  marsala

all kinds off  beef !  ONLY  if it is  GOOD MEAT !   If I buy  Wally-World  meat  I suffer  big time . Like Knives  going through  my

stomache !

I cook with  OLIVE OIL  , I use mostly  fresh  veggies !

I use gobbs of half & half  and  heavy cream sauces  and suffer NO pain !

BUT  ONE  fast food  burger will do me in for  HOURS and HOURS !

My   Quack  at the Va.   tells me it's in my head ! , but she is a fooded human !

I find if the FAT  is NOT free flowing  when you are about to eat it , it does not cause what I refer to as my liver-gaul-bladder-spleen attacks !

I have changed my diet to RAVIOLI for breakfast  because it does not make me feel  bad .

My twin says I eat like a starved  animal ?

My altra sounds came back  perfect , altho a little gaul stone or two .

good luck with your belly !

Karl
" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.