Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:00:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 343
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Okay it is possible!!  (Read 15149 times)

Offline Mandy81

Okay it is possible!!
« on: May 31, 2006, 08:56:36 pm »
http://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=6&m=500254

This is a link to a guy who tested negative at 3 months and the pos at 5.5 months!!  I tested what I thought was conclusivly at 15 weeks, now this has me in a panic, and I feel I might need a 6 month!!!!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Okay it is possible!!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 09:03:47 pm »
Yeah Mandy,

This is anecdotal evidence. "A friend of mine . . . . blah blah blah". I don't believe it and neither should you.

MtD

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 09:06:01 pm »
I agree with Matty, but if you want to test out to six months, go right ahead.

Offline Mandy81

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 09:09:28 pm »
So are you guys still going with 12/13 weeks as VERY VERY close to 100% or what??  I mean I thought the only people who tested + after 13 weeks would be IV users, chemo patients, and tranplants patients.  And even that I thought was rare!!  What the hell!!  Now I am stressed AGAIN!!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 09:24:40 pm »
So are you guys still going with 12/13 weeks as VERY VERY close to 100% or what??  I mean I thought the only people who tested + after 13 weeks would be IV users, chemo patients, and tranplants patients.  And even that I thought was rare!!  What the hell!!  Now I am stressed AGAIN!!

See Mandy? This is why we tell you not to go surfing the net for info. You get misinformation and end up all freaked out for no reason at all.

The link you provided presents NO EVIDENCE whatsoever to prove that a person did test positive at 5.5 months after testing negative at 3. It's just internet blah of no significance at all. Nothing there would change the mind of any expert here. 12/13 weeks is still the standard for almost everyone except those very rare cases of IV drug users and people under going immunosuppressive therapy.

MtD

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 09:34:26 pm »
Mandy81

That is anecdotal heresay information.  You are conclusively HIV negative. 

In the face of all the science and documented information in existence to the contrary, why you would give that "story" any weight whatsoever is beyond me.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline Mandy81

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 09:52:26 pm »
Listen I still have trouble with the CDC and the "window period" being ONLY 97% accurate at 13 weeks.  3% is a large # in my eyes.  I just want to move on, and know that I am 100% negative thats all.  I am not trying to be a pain about this but what the heck??  Why would someone write such a thing if there was no truth to it???  Dont get it!!  I tested negative at 15 weeks with the 3rd generation ELISA test, just hope that was long enough.  I am STILL experiancing fatigue, and numbness in my hands and feet.  I just feel like I am wasted all the friggen time!!  I have been to many doctors, and they all think its in my head, but I KNOW its not!!

Offline LessonLearned

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 10:27:39 pm »
If you search long enough on the CDC website, you will find conflicting information on the site itself. There have only been a few cases in which seroconversion occurred after 3 months and these cases were nearly 10 years ag. 12/13 weeks is still conservative even to catch the outer liers.

Here's a recommendation that comes directly from the training manuals used by the CDC.

"All testing follows the same basic steps:

1. Sample is obtained. Most often, a blood sample is taken from a person's fingertip or arm.

2. Sample is processed. This can be done on site—for example, at the ANC clinic or in labour and delivery for rapid tests—or in a laboratory.

3. Healthcare worker obtains results.

4. Healthcare worker provides results to the patient during post-test counselling.

In an adult, a positive HIV antibody test result means that the person is infected
with HIV.

A negative result usually means that the person is not infected with HIV. In rare instances, a person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the “window period". This is the period of time between the onset of infection with HIV and the appearance of detectable antibodies to the virus.  The window period lasts for 4 to 6 weeks but occasionally up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at high risk who initially test negative should be retested 3 months after exposure to confirm results. "

http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/od/gap/pmtct/Trainer%20Manual/Adobe/Module_6TM.pdf
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 10:38:10 pm by LessonLearned »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 10:47:53 pm »
Listen I still have trouble with the CDC and the "window period" being ONLY 97% accurate at 13 weeks.  3% is a large # in my eyes.  I just want to move on, and know that I am 100% negative thats all.  I am not trying to be a pain about this but what the heck??  Why would someone write such a thing if there was no truth to it???  Dont get it!!  I tested negative at 15 weeks with the 3rd generation ELISA test, just hope that was long enough.  I am STILL experiancing fatigue, and numbness in my hands and feet.  I just feel like I am wasted all the friggen time!!  I have been to many doctors, and they all think its in my head, but I KNOW its not!!

Look Mandy,

I'm sorry that you're tired and you can't feel your hands and feet. That must suck. My sympathy for you is boundless. But it doesn't mean you've got HIV. You don't. Your 15 week test is conclusive.

Instead of crawling around the net looking for stuff which backs up your incorrect view of your situation you'd do better to listen to the doctors that tell you this is all in your head. You see these doctors are qualified healthcare professionals. They know what they're doing. They've examined you (presumably) and applied their expertise to your individual case. Yet you think they're wrong. Whatever.

Maybe you should see a mental health expert. Hypochondria can be treated, you know.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 11:18:37 pm »
And yes, we are sticking with following the CDC's conservative approach, which is to recommend testing for a reliable result at 13 weeks.

As others have already said and I agree, the exception which you point out is not what we can accept as a confirmed case. It's an anecdotal report and believe me if you go searching for such you will find ones which will support just about any position you may come up with.

Well documented experience has shown that a negative result at 13 weeks is reliable, with the exception of IV drug users and those with severely depleted immune systems.

If you are having physical symptoms which are troubling you, you should be discussing them with your doctor instead of practicing medicine on yourself without a license and deciding that it's about HIV.

I don't see any need to re-test at 6 months, but the decision about that is strictly up to you.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 12:52:21 am »
The plural of anecdote is not data.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 05:19:06 am »
Mandy,

I'm in total agreement with the others. The three month window is conclusive. You have tested at nearly four months and this means you are without doubt hiv negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline yugo

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 05:21:25 am »
an interesting piece of information on the 3 months rule has been provided in UK guide on HIV testing

http://www.bashh.org/guidelines/draft/hiv_testing_2005_draft5.doc

it basically states that the 3 months rule has been applied in the UK for 10 years now with no reported cases of failure ...

also, just think about it. it cannot be as much as 3% that would not be picked up at 3 months - if it was so then surely 3 months could not be an official reommendation as it would be quite unsatisfactory from the public health point of view - just do the maths assuming that around 10% of population tests annually and that only 1 in 1000 is truly infected. I have come up with around 900 missed cases annually in a country with population of 300 million if the 3% missed cases were true. this is quite a lot. many european sources say there has been no cases of seroconversion after 3 months for at least 10 years now...

I am having trouble leaving the net and searching the info too ... but even with all the junk that you can find on the net, I am increasingly confident with the 3 moths as being 100% conclusive - in Europe with modern tests what is called late seroconversion is one that happens later than 4 weeks of infection....

Offline Mandy81

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 07:32:11 am »
Okay Okay Okay!!  I get it.  I think??  I see things like this online, and it worries me!  I know I am over reacting, and my almost 4 month negative is as good as gold. 

SAE:  Thanks so much for that info!!  I have never seen that on the CDCs website.  Why dont they update all of their site with this up to date info!!  It would make alot of people stop the stressing if they saw that!

Ann:  I know you know what you are talking about with all of this.  You ARE an expert!!  Your responses mean so much to every WW that comes to this site.

Offline san_2002

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 10:11:48 pm »
hey mandy i was just reading your post and i want to tell you something i tested after 5 months and it was negative so pretty much what these experts are telling you is true .. unlike me i have to wait again for  being a dickhead i was doing just fine untli i did something very stupid but in your case congratulations im hapy for you

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 10:52:42 pm »
san, please refrain from participating in other people's threads..  You are completely unqualified to do so

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 05:30:24 am »
Mandy,

In light of your 75 post thread in the old forum as WoMass, and all the other threads you've jumped into over there to ask questions, you are getting very close to being given a time out. This forum might LOOK different, but it's the same forum with the same operating proceedures.

You tested negative at 15 weeks. You are hiv negative and there is nothing more we can do for you here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 05:32:37 am »
san_2002,

As the poster formerly known as CHRISTIANCARTAGENA, you are certainly not in any position to give advice to others. Please stick to your own thread.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Mandy81

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 07:26:16 am »
Okay Ann,

I dont know what you meant by JUMPED INTO, but I saw this and I was looking for some answers.  Thats ALLLL!!  I dont know why you have to be so harse sometimes.  No other forums are like this one.  Geezzz.....And its NOT unheard of for someone to take longer than 13 weeks to seroconvert either!!  All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 07:32:38 am »
Mandy,

The only people who seroconvert after 12-13 weeks have other major problems going on, like organ transplant, chemotherapy or heavy, chronic injecting drug use. You don't fall into any of those catagories, do you.

You have a fifteen week negative hiv result and it's time to move on with your life. If you don't, I'll have to give you a time out to help you on your way and encourage you to seek the assistance of a mental health care professional. We cannot offer you counseling on this forum.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 07:40:38 am »
And by the way, Mandy,

We were very patient and supportive of you during your window period. Now that you have tested conclusively negative, we'd be doing you a grave disservice if we were to encourage you to hang around any longer. There's nothing more we can do for you here and there is no benefit to be had by you sticking around.

That's how things work around here. If you prefer other forums, you are most welcome to post on them - but you're only hurting yourself with your hiv obsession. Please, get some help before it takes over your life completely.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2006, 07:23:27 pm »
Mandy, I just reread your old thread after wasting some time responding AGAIN to your insistence re: the thirteen week testing window.

This DESPITE the fact that you have been shown ALL our references OVER and OVER. In this forum, in this thread, and in your old thread under your old name of WoMass.

You do this over and over. You get testy when people don't automatically respond, you hijack other people's threads, and then when the science is yet again presented, you go in hiding for a few days and then pop back up and repeat the queries as though nothing had been shown you.

It is my opinion that you are not here to help, but to disrupt the forum.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Mandy81

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 08:57:19 am »
I get testy when you dont respond?? 
All I was saying was that you didnt have a comment on it.  Probably because your sick of explaining it!!  Thats all that was meant by that.

Trust me, I know I am HIV negative without question!!  I have been educating people, family, friends mostly about the REAL risks of it.

I highjack??  I think not.

Disrupt the forum??  NOT!!!  I dont offer ANY advice, and have not said a WORD in over a month and a half!! 

I come here to read, and educate myself.  That about sums it up for me! ;D

Offline Mandy81

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2006, 04:29:48 pm »
Just a little something....

I am writing this as closure to this chapter in my life.  I just recieved ONE FINAL test and it was negative. 

I just could NOT let it go.  Its a sickness that we as WWs cant control, and it takes over your life.  Its the worst feeling in the world. 

Let me just tell all you WWs as a FORMER WW that if you ALOW it to consume your days and nights then the fear WILL TAKE OVER YOU!! 

If you have an exposure then take your test ONCE at 13 weeks!!  The more you test the less likely it will be that you trust your results.  You cant start going on all the WHATIFS!! 

My exposure was unprotected receptive vaginal, and it was back in Dec. of 05.  I did the unforgivable and cheated with an ex co worker.  After I cheated I had unprotected with my fiance a few times.  It was a MISTAKE!!  I felt guilty about it, and still do till this day.  My fiance and I have come a VERY long way, and he has forgiven me.  Not too sure when I will end up forgiving myself (if ever) but I know I love my fiance, and have a wonderful family.  I became depressed, and let the fear of being infected take over my life.  It consumed my every free second in the day.  I would get up, and start searching symtpoms, and at work, researched about serconverting, and reading up on it.  I started calling the local hotlines getting info about percentages, and generations, and all sorts of things weekly.  I couldnt eat, sleep, breath.  I have a one year old who suffered from lack of undivided attention from his mother for the past 9 months. 

I took my first test 4 weeks, second, 6 weeks( which is considered to conclusive here in the state of Massachusetts...well they say its 99.3% accurate here), third 8 weeks, and forth 15 weeks.  Well that 15 week test set well with me for a little bit.  I was still having symptoms of swollen glands, fatigue, sinus problems ect.  So I began searching about late serconverters.  Yes I was one of them ( so I thought)  so I began having anxiety just about every waking minute of the day.  Episodes where the panick was so bad I could feel my throat closing up on me, and I would get so dizzy I couldnt stand up, my arms, and legs would go numb, and I would go into a state of depression where I could not get off the couch to do my dishes. 

I continued searching my symtpoms and everytime you type something on the internet HIV comes up.  I would be watching a show, and HIV would come up, a friend would mention HIV and I would freak out.  I had myself convinced I was infected.  I began planning out my life as if I were infected with this virus, and making plans in my mind on what I wanted to do with my son. 

I went to the doctors 17 times in the past 9 months!!  (16 of them were from Jan- March)  I was obssesed with it!!  My doctor kept telling me that I had allergies, and my glands were STILL swollen because I had POKED AT THEM FOR 3 MONTHS STRAIGHT!!!!! ( so stop touching them!!)  Every little twinge, sniffle, ill feeling I had had to be because I was infected with HIV!!

This whole thing could have been prevented if I has just listened to the experts on this site ( ANN, and Andy, and yes even Rod ( I have had my moments))
WHen they say 3 months they mean BUSINESS!!!!!!!!! 
When they say NO RISK- its NOT A RISK!!
When they say its time to move on- ITS TIME TO MOVE ON!!!

I had to do my one FINAL test for closure ( even though I said that at my 15 week test) as I am getting married, and trying to plan baby #2 in the near future.  My fiance and I have been using condoms for the past nine months, and he understands, but you cant make a baby with protection!! ;)  So I decided for ONE FINAL test for the safety of him and our future unborn child. 

NOW I CAN MOVE ON!!  You should toooooo!!

Just rememeber:

-SYMPTOMS MEAN NOTHING!! ( I had all the classics, and still do till this day!)
-Seek the help from a counseler if you need it. ( You need it if you come here EVERYDAY to check out symptoms, and ask questions)
-Get tested, and a 3 MONTH TEST IS CONLUSIVE!!!
-Use protection!!  You need to protect YOUR status.  Theres not one other person out the who is more responsable for that than you are!

Thank you alllll!!  You have educated me, and I am a better person because of this

God bless you all!

Chapter CLOSED

Mandy

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.