Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:10:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 643
Total: 645

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: I am Really Scared. Please help.  (Read 7497 times)

Offline suzannec

I am Really Scared. Please help.
« on: January 02, 2010, 08:40:29 pm »
After a tough pregnancy I decided to get a manicure. The manicurist proceeded to cut a chunk of skin from my finger. A lot of blood started to flow. I picked up the cuticle cutter and proceeded to ask her if she sterilized the cuticle cutter. She actually grabbed it from my hands and she said yes, she did. While my nails were drying I watched what she did with the cuticle cutter used on me. She put it under water in the sink, used a cotton pad to dry it slightly, and then put it in the try to use on the next person. I'm very worried because I have a 9 week old baby who I am breastfeeding. What are the chances of HIV or Hepatitis infection from this incident. I desperately need an answer. Thanks.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Urgent Question on Transmission Risk
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 08:41:48 pm »
Not a risk at all for HIV transmission.

Offline suzannec

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 08:59:34 pm »
Thank you for the quick reply. I wanted to mention after cutting me they dapped a tube with blue liquid on the cut to stop the bleeding. The bleeding did stop but I was concerned as they directly touched my bleeding cut with the tip of the tube (as I'm sure they do with all bleeding customers). Is there any risk from blood on the tube from previous clients?

Also, I did again pick up the cuticle cutter after she washed it with water (before they used it on the next customer) and noticed there were tiny specks of what looked like old blood on the handle, suggesting they clearly do not have the best sterilization practices. If there were specks of blood on the blades before they were used on me would you still state no risk for HIV?

(2) Is there a risk for hepatitis or any other infection. It seems red and swollen and I think I may need antibiotics, but I am really concerned about HIV and hepatitis as I have a baby that I am breastfeeding and I do not want to put her at any risk.

(3) Is testing warranted or can I just get on with my life.

Thanks again. Your expertise is greatly appreciated. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 08:36:23 am »
These kinds of beauty parlor and haircut salons happen all of the time. HIV is a fragile virus and not transmitted through such accidents. There's never been a confirmed case in that manner. It's safe to say you won't history by becoming the first. There is no need for testing.

We focus on HIV exclusively here. I wouldn't consider that to have been a risk for hepatitis. If the swelling persists you can discuss it with your doctor. I think you are worrying needlessly. Post-partum it's not uncommon to be very sensitive emotionally. If you want your concern relieved then discuss it with your doctor.

This is NOT an HIV situation. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline suzannec

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 06:14:51 pm »
Thanks Andy. I went to a walk in clinic as you suggested and had my finger assessed by a doctor. He felt if was likely a staph infection and it is now being treated with antibiotics. The doctor did scare me a bit with the HIV/Hepatits issue, suggesting I could undergo what he called "baseline testing". I really did not want to hear that but I realize that he is no expert on hiv. If the experts here say no risk, I am content to accept that and move on.

Do you still feel I can forego testing and that there is no risk from the manicure incident? Thank you for taking the time to respond.

PS I take your point about the postpartum. This new baby certainly has put my hormones into a frenzy.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 10:32:49 pm »
suz,

No, you don't need to test. You DO need to get on with your life!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline suzannec

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 07:59:37 pm »
Thanks Ann. I am going to accept your advice (and that of the others that have responded) that there is nothing to worry about and move on. Best wishes to you all in 2010.

Offline suzannec

Need Advice: Another Question on Transmission Risk
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 07:43:31 pm »
I am sorry to be here bothering you all once again but I have another question and would really appreciate the advice of the experts here. I was in Mexico last week and on Friday I passed out and had to seek medical assistance. As part of the assessment the medical office assistant (not nurse or doctor) used a lancet to take a blood sample to check my blood sugar (as I previously had gestational diabetes and they thought perhaps my blood sugar was the issue). I really didn't want to let them do the test because I have heard scary things about the medical system in Mexico but they went ahead. I am now concerned that perhaps the lancet they used was not sterile. I asked about it after the fact and they said that while it can technically be re-used (that is, it does not have a lock out after use feature) they only use one per patient. What I wanted to know is what if, due to human error, it was previously used, could I get hiv, hep b, hep c or some other infection from that incident?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 07:46:12 pm »
You were not at risk from a lancet.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 10:41:04 pm »
You are worrying needlessly about getting HIV from a lancet. We only deal with HIV here but I will say that situation did not put you at risk for Hep C either.

HIV is a fragile virus and is not transmitted in that manner.

There's no need for testing nor for further concern on your part.
Andy Velez

Offline suzannec

I am Really Scared. Please help.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 07:16:12 am »
I went to an urgent care facility after I slipped on some ice and fell and smacked my head. You had to wait in line and see a triage nurse before you check in. There was a guy in with the nurse when I lined up. When it was my turn she asked me to take off my coat and checked my temp. and blood pressure. My arm was bare and I have excema. There were a few (two or three) open spots on my arm but I thought nothing of it until I went back to the waiting room for my turn. The guy who was in the room previous came over. He was covered in blood. He went on about his situation, He had hiv and hepatitis (and epilepsy) and was homeless after having been released from jail. He had just been beat up badly by a guy with a bat (hence the blood). I am scared because they took his blood pressure right before mine and I am certain some of his blood got on the plastic part that goes around your arm (where my open spots were). They do not clean them between patients. I am really scared. Am I at risk? Please help. 

Offline RapidRod

Re: I am Really Scared. Please help.
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 07:32:13 am »
You need to return to your original thread. Take the time and read the posting guidelines for this forum.

Offline suzannec

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 07:40:32 am »
:
I went to an urgent care facility after I slipped on some ice and fell and smacked my head. You had to wait in line and see a triage nurse before you check in. There was a guy in with the nurse when I lined up. When it was my turn she asked me to take off my coat and checked my temp. and blood pressure. My arm was bare and I have excema. There were a few (two or three) open spots on my arm but I thought nothing of it until I went back to the waiting room for my turn. The guy who was in the room previous came over. He was covered in blood. He went on about his situation, He had hiv and hepatitis (and epilepsy) and was homeless after having been released from jail. He had just been beat up badly by a guy with a bat (hence the blood). I am scared because they took his blood pressure right before mine and I am certain some of his blood got on the plastic part that goes around your arm (where my open spots were). They do not clean them between patients. I am really scared. Am I at risk? Please help. 

Offline suzannec

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 07:42:44 am »
RapidRod: I tried but I only have access from my blackberry and can't seem to be able locate it. I didn't mean to break the rules. I apologize.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 07:44:48 am »
Suz,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Once again you were not at risk for hiv infection. Hiv is not transmitted from objects in the environment. Re-read your entire thread. The replies Andy gave you earlier about hiv being fragile apply to this circumstance as well.

You need to understand that medical professionals are not in the habit of putting patients at risk for blood-borne illnesses. If there was any chance of this man's blood being on the blood pressure cuff, it would have been cleaned off before it was used again. They wouldn't have used it on a bloody arm in the first place.

It sounds like you need to discus this hiv phobia of yours with a qualified counsellor or therapist. It's rapidly getting out of hand. We cannot help you with that here.

Ann

PS - you couldn't find it because I was in the process of merging it for you and posting my reply.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.