Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:18:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 482
Total: 484

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: workout  (Read 3857 times)

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
workout
« on: January 18, 2010, 04:31:11 pm »
Hi all

back to gym serioulsy. A way to not focus on "HIV", but Health.
No needs to summarize the benefits of having a regular sport activity. On the body (incl. to increase the blood and oxygen in the brain), mind, apparence but also to socialize a bit more.

So why not a topics about sport ? About posting workout, progress, benefits ?

I restarted yesterday only. 45 min cycling 80% VO2max. Today as well.

Immediate benefit: I want to eat healthier. And I feel much better. Really !

The plan is to cycle 2x45min (6am and 6pm) a day, and to add weight training in 2-3 week, 4 time a week.

Can you please share what is you workout, plan, results, benefits. Exchange tips and so. Thanks !

John

Offline weasel

Re: workout
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 07:51:10 pm »

Hey JOHN  ,
                      I NEED   to do what you ARE   doing !

Winter  has grabbed me and I am a moaning growing pig !

I want to bike

I want to run

I will do this !

thank you !

I will post my progress !

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline Grinch

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 09:24:37 pm »

• Monday: Boxing training
    Tuesday: Boxing training
    Wednesday: Off
    Thursday: Weight training and high intensity interval training.
    Friday: Off
    Saturday: Heavy weight training.
    Sunday: Boxing training/sparring
Boxing training includes cardio, lots of heavy bag work, plyometrics and ab work.

I've been doing this since September.  Results 35 lbs weight loss.  Reduced cholesterol. Reduced BP. Insulin resistance gone. Extremely reduced fatigue. Monster AIDS belly gone. Short term memory greatly increased.
I haven't felt this good in 15 years.  I'd recommend some kind of exersize to everyone.  I can't believe how much better I feel.

Offline John2038

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 02:16:26 am »
Carl you should definitely start. It's really magic. The recommendations of Grinch are for sure not just words and the results are impressive. Please post your progress, I would love to read how bettervyou feel since you have started to train.

Grinch, Seems you know what sport is and have got already a lot benefits from having a sport activity  !
The results on your health are just WoW !  Sport is a very effective drug. Wondering the meaning of "AIDS belly". Your message is very inspiring. Thanks for it !
I want to add 15 min of cycling tonight  :) Sure !

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:42:04 am by John2038 »

Offline sanitex

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 03:21:19 am »
h! john
             it's  incentive happy to hear this motivative action i think to resume
my workout this week,anyway i'll let you know the out come despite my anxiety disorder
but i'll try my best to start it cause my belly is getting to big upon 300sets of situp it doesn't
help even diet.
27/12/07 cd4 20 vl 1m
10/4 /08 cd4 86 vl 63
1/7/08  cd4 186 vl un
16/10/08 cd4 196 vl un
23/1/09 cd4 248 vl un
10/9/11 cd4 418 vl <40 %22
13/12/11 cd4 410 vl un 23%
24/2/12 cd4 545 vl un 26%
22/2/12 chge trv to Recovir-em.10/9/11 cd4 418 vl <40 %22
7/7/12 cd4 359 vl <40 22%
23/8/12 cd4 400 vl <40 23%,
testosterone test 7.5 ng/ml and
thyroid (TSH)1.32 ml.
13/12/2012 cd4 523 24% vl <40
18/3/2013 cd4  513  23% vl <40
03/8/2013 cd4 429 22% vl <40
13/11/2013 cd4 455 23% vl <40
Anti-HBs testquantitative Anti-HBs pos
Titer 16.95 mlu/ml <10.00
22/3/14 cd4 396 vl <40 24%
24/7/14 tevir
24/9/14 cd4 517 vl <40 22%
16/3/15 cd4 545 vl  85 24%
12/4/16 cd4 626 vl <40 25%
16/8/16 cd4 396 vl <40 27% changNVP/recovir-em 22/7
8/12/16 cd4 511 vl ud 23%
5/6/16 cd4 688 vl ud %27
17/9 /20  chng TLD

Offline John2038

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 04:17:11 pm »
Hi san

Just FYI, the EACS (European Aids Clinical Society) in its the "DEPRESSION: DIAGNOSIS AND MANAGEMENT" recommends to treat  mild depression (to be evaluated by a doc) with "antidepressive treatment, physical activity".

So don't give up, it help for sure.

Day 1: 623 KCal, Day 2: 673 KCal, Day 3: 700 KCal. Just to give a trend. And feeling VERY fine.

I won't report daily, but just time to time, with few parameters such as triglycerides, HDL/LDL, resting beat rate, and most important for me, VO2max. Willing to increase it to hit the roof.

Hoping to read progress from others as I am curious on how sport have contribute to live better with a bug.

Take good care of you all !

Offline veritas

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 05:04:40 pm »

John,

Great thread ! I've been exercising 6 days per week for the last 5 yrs. I like to exercise outdoors, so that means running /walking 2-3 miles per day no matter what season. Sometimes on those cold days (I live in NE) when the temp is @ 14 degrees, it takes me a good half mile before I warm -up. Running in the snow is great. It increases the intensity of the workout.

Also, I try to do at least 30 minutes of some type of weight bearing exercise at least 3 times per week.
That includes pull-ups (there tuff for me), chin-ups, sit-ups, bench push-ups,weight training.

It's difficult to keep going when one first starts, but once you get into a routine, it becomes part of your daily duties. For me , I find exercising in the AM the most convenient time.

The benefits are incredible. Labs have been on target, however, I'm finding my Cholesterol levels slipping a bit. I have to believe it's the medication because I do watch what I eat. The lab that bugs me the most is HDL (38) not good. I really don't want to take niacin since the sides can be very annoying. My doc says we don't have to do anything yet but watch it.

Here's a link I use ,which I found very helpful in developing technique:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/WTHipExtension.html

A thread like this can be inspiring as well as helpful!

Looking forward to the responses.

v

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 09:21:38 am »
I'm trying to get back into a regular workout routine. Between my full-time job of 12 hour shifts, my part-time job and my graduate studies I run short of time. My current lifting routine is day 1: chest, day 2: back, day 3: legs, day 4: arms and shoulders. I walk my dogs at least 2 miles every day but I don't run because I don't want to over exert my small dog. I want to try trail jogging with my bigger dog.

Offline John2038

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 02:09:35 pm »
Hey Veritas, nice post ! I would love to read more like yours without having to answer, just to get inspired with no efforts :)

About your HDL, it's just borderline (lif the lower limit is 40), no ?
How about your blood pressure, HDL/LDL ratio, triglycerides level ? Have you fast before your blood draw ?
Are you taking probiotics ? As you know, there are tons of studies on the net about them. An article among others here. There are many kind of probiotics as well. See here for e.g.
How about your daily carbs intake ? You know all that, just saying.

GSOgymrat, can you follow your bigger dog yet :) Seems you are (re)starting as well. The sport addiction may start after 3-4 weeks as far I have experiment, and as mentioned by others here, just the first days are the most boring.

BTW, going to cycle now.

Offline John2038

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 03:21:42 pm »
After 10 day, comparing my first workout to the last one of today have lead to an increase  of:

energy: +15%
distance: +11%

for the same amount of time cycling, and almost same VO2max (interval training 70% then 80%, 85% VO2max).

Sweating and feeling always so good.

As expected, the routine is taking place: my day is organized to include sport as an automatism (I just do it, without thinking whether I want or not to train, if I feel tired or not and so).

Will check impact on my lipids profile in 2 weeks.

A routine about my food is taking place also. Started by eating almost what I like. Then replaced the most fatty food by a salad. I eat what I want 1 day per week.

Just sharing what is really motivating me. No others reasons. In more, having a routine knock down any anxiety feeling that may emerge. Just saying.

Keep well

John

Offline MYSTERY

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 01:06:11 am »
Hey John2038,

My workouts consist of:

Monday: I do resistance training normally focusing on Chest/Shoulders/Triceps. Prior to working out I run on the tred mill for 30 min.

Tuesday: Yoga

Wedsday: I do resistance training normally focusing on my Back/Biceps/ABS. Prior to working out I once again run for 30 min.

Thursday: yoga

Friday: Once again resistance training focusing on my legs. After my leg work out I ride the bike for 45 min.

Saturday: Yoga

Sunday: Church  ;D
Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.