Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:40:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773218
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 605
Total: 607

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I Voted  (Read 19183 times)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: I Voted
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2016, 10:24:47 pm »
My issue with it is that it's gone way way too far in a disadvantageous direction for American workers.
All those American workers making Toyotas or any other of the "foreign cars" being built here would disagree with you.

The quality of all their goods are terrible. 
Apple's iPhones are made in China -- quality seems pretty good to the millions of people who have bought them.  I suspect that the Chinese workers are just as capable as American workers -- but go ahead and denigrate the entire population (can you say American Exceptionalism??)

A country that relies on consuming foreign goods, service jobs, and does not make anything can't sustain itself as a major player for very long imo.
Perhaps this is true -- but you leave out all of the American Technology that is "exported" -- American culture is still exported and brings cash and jobs back here (movies, music, television).  Plenty of stuff is still "made" here -- just not the old traditional "widgets".

While we should try to have fair trade deals -- what I'm hearing from you is not "fair", but weighted to give America an advantage.  Our trade deficit is probably more due to the fact that Americans can buy more than most of the rest of the world.  We consume because we can.

BTW -- with the taxes and regulation that Bernie spouts (Clinton too, but to a lesser degree) -- American business won't be incentivized to stay here -- they'll simply leave.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2016, 09:46:32 am »
Read an article that cited a frightening poll.  1/3 of Bernie supporters will not vote for Hillary if she receives the nomination.  WTF!!!!

It'll be interesting to see how the Ohio primaries play out.  Working at the VFW allows me to listen to what people are saying.  I'm hearing the same comments over and over again.  Most absolutely don't believe Trump will ever be president and most won't vote for him if he receives the nomination.  What they do love is that he is shaking up the establishment.  I guess this shows the frustration that the American people experience.

Most of these people have no faith in any candidate.  I believe this is the strangest election process in my lifetime. 

Kasich will probably win Ohio.  He has a lot of bipartisan support here.  He has done some great things within the state and we have one of the best economies in the country.  He expanded Medicaid against pressure to not do so.  His demeanor is very presidential. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2016, 10:59:55 am »
I watch Morning Joe pretty regularly , the Republicans are saying the same thing of the Donald.  They will not cast a vote for him. Florida and Ohio will be a good indicator of what the future might hold.
Everyday is something new and unexpected.
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2016, 11:03:52 am »
Read an article that cited a frightening poll.  1/3 of Bernie supporters will not vote for Hillary if she receives the nomination.  WTF!!!!
I read that too, and sadly think it's true. I have quite a number of fellow Dems who really #feelthebern and have publically stated numerous times that they will not vote for Hillary - no matter what. While my discussions with these friends has ended in "we-agree-to-disagree", I've made sure they know that when the Republicans win and their policies continue the destruction of America that I'll be making sure to speak with these friends again, blaming them for allowing these problems to happen.

I certainly understand why someone would be terribly disappointed in Hillary; but to not cast the votes needed to repulse the Republicans (I have also been reading about the incredibly low Dem turnout and the incredibly high Repub turnout) will make my friends no better than the ignorant people (blacks, female, hispanic, gay, those earning <$500K) who will be voting against their own self interests by casting an "R" vote. :(

It certainly is a very unusual election process and very troubling for those seeking equality for every member of our society, personal financial stability, and the continuation of the beneficial society safety-nets that were created under our grandparents.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2016, 11:09:14 am »
I watch Morning Joe pretty regularly
I used to watch MSNBC all day long; but have had to quit as it has become the "trump channel" over the last few months. :( Thankfully i get up with my partner every morning at 4am to see him off to work, that way I get to watch the only decent show left on the network - the rachel maddow show.

Flipping around this morning, I saw that Joe and Mika weren't there (woohoo!) and so I watched for a while. I saw that the Republican establishment is finally speaking out against trump and are saying they will not vote for him. I have believed, for many months, that we'll see the Republican party break up this election cycle into two parties. Slowly, I'm starting to worry that the Dems might break apart also. (Ugh!)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2016, 11:23:58 am »
Joe is a big mouth and Mika has turned into his lap dog , and it has been the
Trump show for a while.  Now however they are they are terrified of him and the Republican establishment is not behind him at all.
The republican party is with out doubt split and forever changed.
Donald Trump is an embarrassment to them and our entire country.
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Online Tonny2

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2016, 03:32:16 pm »

ojo         Hello there

I'm from Mexico, and in Mexico we too complain about the free trades, the big corporation have finished with the small business in Mexico, and they are just abusing people and poluting the enviroment...question?...if Apple, for example, make the its products in China so we can pay what we pay for an Iphone, etc, etc, if Apple were to make its products in here,, the USA, wouldn't its products be more expencive?...just a thought...hugs...ah! roby, Bernie won't be around to see his revolution if he were to become president                                           ojo

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2016, 03:49:35 pm »
Bernie won't be around to see his revolution if he were to become president                                           ojo

What do you mean by that?
Do you mean he is too old and will die?
Or something else, can you clarify, please..

Bernie is only 74 and personally I think he's got more love for the American people than all the candidates combined..
I will vote for Hillary if she is the nominated but I will not be expecting much, I find her to be closer to a moderate republican.. She's definitely not a progressive liberal, all good changes in the US came from progressive ideas..

I sometimes feel conflicted about voting for Hillary in a general, I think the dem party needs to be taught a lesson for their lack of fairness in the political process.

Offline zach

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2016, 03:54:17 pm »
With President Trump, we'll be able to negotiate better drug pricing, and import equivalent generic drugs.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2016, 04:00:06 pm »
With President Trump, we'll be able to negotiate better drug pricing, and import equivalent generic drugs.

Guess if you're white, he'll hook you up..

Offline zach

« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2016, 04:28:04 pm »
Sure, I'm white, I'm also HIV+. I recognize that only Trump has said he'll get us a better deal. A good deal.

Meanwhile, Hillary praises Nancy Reagan as an HIV/AIDS activist and credits her with starting a national conversation.

With friends like that I guess.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hillary-clinton-nancy-reagan-aids-activism_us_56e31770e4b0b25c9181e002

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2016, 04:32:12 pm »
none of those actions is within the power of the POTUS; however if the Dems in Congress, hopefully with Republican support, will move the ACA forward they could create a fully-functioning single payer option where We, the people, through Medicaid (which already negotiates pricing) will be able to negotiate drug pricing. Importation of equivalent generic drugs would break patent laws so don't expect to see that anytime in the future.

unfortunately electing a Republican president will probably also include a Republican Congress and none of these things will happen. Insurance companies will continue to grow fat on profit, hospitals will close, and millions will still be left without access to health care.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2016, 04:58:17 pm »
To the point about Chinese goods..I'm just stating in my experience that many have major flaws and are built extremely cheaply. I recently bought a very expensive gift for my dad it was a sculpture, I got it and it had major uneven parts and holes in it! Ridiculous. That's one of many items I've gotten that I have had to return and the common thread is that they're all made in China. Another area is air conditioners. I have one that's 30 years old and it is all metal and cools like brand new and is whisper quiet. I have others that are new and made in China and are all plastic and rattle and are very cheap and noisy. I have some Made in the USA things and they are built extremely well. I don't see anything wrong with being proud of your country. Call it American exceptionalism or whatever but I am patriotic and love my country period. And I would love to see us make what we consume again. The playing field has to be leveled. We have to put China on notice that we will insist on an equal playing field and we have to be clear with them. They are getting all the benefits and yea their goods at Walmart are dirt cheap but if we would insist on fair trade we could start making all those things here again and also keep prices down. It would be good for workers and good for everyone. Trade is fine, but it has to be balanced again. China is cleaning our clock on trade.

Hillary may be the nominee but she is extremely flawed. She is a flip flopper and very crooked. She says anything she things will resonate in the moment even if it's total bullshit. Just like she voted for the Iraq war. It's the same deal with her talking about how great Nancy Reagan was on hiv/aids when she actually refused to help Rock Hudson when he needed it most. Hillary is a fraud and full of shit.

I actually like John Kasich he seems very rational and intelligent. He seems like the type who could get things done. Still team Bernie to the end though!

"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline zach

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2016, 05:00:43 pm »
And yet other nations have allowed generic meds. It's time to break the hold the big pharma has on a corrupt system. They wrote their own laws that protect them. Trump is a business man, he knows how to get things done. We can't expect career politicians that have been bought and paid for time and again by Big Pharma to help us. He'll get us a better deal.

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2016, 08:12:01 pm »
What matters to me is who can get things done and shake things up and stop being in the pocket of special interests and big corporations. Hillary is fake and phoney. She'll say anything according to what group she's speaking to. Agree or disagree but keep it real I can't stand fakeness. I actually believe in Bernie and that he is genuine.

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline bocker3

« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2016, 11:53:49 pm »
It still boggles my mind that people believe Presidents have so much power over domestic things. 
Trump can't do shit about Pharma prices -- Congress owns that.  Bernie can't do shit about income inequality -- Congress owns that.  Hillary can't do shit about the cost of college -- Congress owns that.  Cruz can't do shit about anything - Congress hates him.
All a President has is a bully pulpit, and in rare instances a public mandate -- though there hasn't been a true mandate in a very long time (though parties do like to toss the word around).
President's true powers lie in Foreign Affairs and the Military (though Congress holds the purse strings there too....).  Their power also exists in the Veto -- which can keep Congress in check -- but not really advance much.

We need a large Democratic turnout not only for the White House, but even more importantly to hopefully take the Senate and cut the Republican majority in the House.  Alas - -that won't happen, because the electorate is even more polarized than the politicians. 

To anyone who won't support Hillary if she beats Bernie -- you are about to cut your nose to spite your face.  BTW -- I agree that Bernie is genuine, he's had the same schtick for almost 40 years -- even got some things done as Mayor of Burlington, VT back in the early/mid 80's, but why haven't we heard him talking of all these things in his 25 yrs in Congress??  Why is it only now, when he runs for President, that he publicly expresses this outrage??  I'll tell you why -- because, first and foremost, he's a politician - else he wouldn't have survived all this time in Congress. 

M

Offline zach

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2016, 01:21:08 am »
i was of course trolling, and nobody took my bait

i lean just to left of marxist

but how about chicago?!! feelin the bern!

think it'll get worse, think it'll spread?

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2016, 06:51:48 am »
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 06:58:39 am by Almost2late »

Offline bocker3

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2016, 11:05:03 am »

It just keeps getting worse -- looking like 1930's Germany.....  demagogues are far more dangerous than idiots, because they pull people to them.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2016, 11:32:17 am »

HA ! … I think your prior posting history precludes you from being a believable trump supporter. You and I and Tim Hunter are the rare deep south guys who’s brain was probably put into us by aliens early in our mothers pregnancy.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2016, 11:36:43 am »
spoil all my fun  ;D

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2016, 11:56:45 am »
Anyone but me think Ted Cruz looks like Mr Hayney on Green Acres ?
Been driving me crazy, but finally came to me.
Think he is from Hooterville too  ::)

HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2016, 01:50:07 pm »
Ted Cruz looks like a man-child version of Butch Patrick from The Munsters. He's a complete psycho. Way scarier than Trump. I'm sure the Duggars will be first in line to vote for Cruz. That tells you all you need to know about him right there.

I still support Bernie, but I am souring on him a bit, I'm getting sick of all his shouting and holier than thou attitude. Nothing pisses me off more than politicians who lecture and act like they know everything or are the second coming. I completely support his policies, but he needs to chill. 

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.