Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:33:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773295
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 594
Total: 594

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Promising results phase 2 - Once Weekly Pill for HIV treatment.  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Promising results. Will be interesting to see if these results hold up in a phase 3 study with far more participants.

POZ.com article in full: https://www.poz.com/article/first-onceweekly-oral-treatment-keeps-hiv-suppressed

In Brief:

A once-weekly oral regimen of the approved HIV capsid inhibitor lenacapavir and the experimental antiretroviral islatravir can keep the virus suppressed as well as daily pills, according to study results presented this week at the Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI 2024) in Denver.

A Phase II clinical trial showed that more than 90% of people who switched to weekly islatravir and lenacapavir pills maintained an undetectable viral load, matching the viral suppression rate of those who stayed on daily Biktarvy (bictegravir/tenofovir alafenamide/emtricitabine). If data continue to look promising, this could become the longest-acting regimen that doesn’t involve injections.

This open-label Phase II study (NCT05052996) enrolled 104 adults with viral suppression (less than 50 copies) on daily Biktarvy, no history of virological failure, a CD4 count of at least 350 and a total lymphocyte count of at least 900.

The study participants were randomly assigned to either stay on Biktarvy once daily or switch to 2 mg islatravir and 300 mg lenacapavir pills once weekly. Islatravir plus lenacapavir was “both efficacious and well tolerated” at 24 weeks

Only one person (1.9%) in the islatravir plus lenacapavir group had a viral load above 50 at 24 weeks, and he went on to achieve viral suppression at 30 weeks. No one in the Biktarvy group had a detectable viral load at 24 weeks. The rate of viral suppression was exactly the same in the two groups (94.2%) after accounting for people with missing data. Follow-up will continue through 48 weeks.

Islatravir has had a rocky road to get to this point. Because doravirine is not suitable for longer-acting treatment, Merck paired islatravir with its experimental NNRTI MK-8507 in a once-weekly regimen, and Merck and Gilead started a study of once-weekly islatravir plus lenacapavir in 2021. Later that year, however, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) placed a clinical hold on islatravir after HIV-positive participants in treatment trials experienced a decline in CD4 T-cell counts and HIV-negative volunteers in pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) studies saw a drop in total lymphocyte counts.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Promising results phase 2 - Once Weekly Pill for HIV treatment.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 07:08:41 am »
well, I could get on board with this regimen. :D

While injections don't bother me, the cost of Cabenuva is too high for me - the costs of driving 100 miles to-and-from the doctor's office every other month and the cost of having an appointment for a medical professional to inject the medication.

Four doses a month sounds like a dream after one regimen all those years ago had 32 pills and 8 tablespoons of liquid meds every day.

(FDA) placed a clinical hold on islatravir after HIV-positive participants in treatment trials experienced a decline in CD4 T-cell counts and HIV-negative volunteers in pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) studies saw a drop in total lymphocyte counts.
oops and ow!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 08:05:10 am »
well, I could get on board with this regimen. :D

While injections don't bother me, the cost of Cabenuva is too high for me - the costs of driving 100 miles to-and-from the doctor's office every other month and the cost of having an appointment for a medical professional to inject the medication.

Four doses a month sounds like a dream after one regimen all those years ago had 32 pills and 8 tablespoons of liquid meds every day.

Yeah, same here. If the follow-up studies yield similar results, a once-a-week pill is something I would seriously consider.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 01:49:30 pm »
once-a-week pill
take it monday morning and tell HIV to f@ck off the rest of the week. sweet!
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 04:40:02 pm »

ojo.            It sounds good although it wouldn’t be for me 😞 even if i were to use cabenuca, accorsing to my doc, i still would be taken pills by mouth due to my resistance history 😢 but after 29 years of taking lots of meds i can’t complain, I’m still alive and, if to keep me alive the treatment were to  swallow stones, i would do it. Life is good even living in pain, legally blind and hiv. Just a thought…hugs

PS. The only thing that bothers me it’s and I don’t drive anymore and I had to depend on people to drive me around but I’m glad that I had good family and friends to do it with the complaining

Offline Matts

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2024, 05:23:25 am »
I think that this Once-a-week-pill of Lenacapavir/Islatravir will be an option for me in the future. There were a bit more side effects than in Biktarvy. Some patients had nausea and dry mouth.
Lets see what the phase 3 will bring up.
https://www.aidsmap.com/news/mar-2024/islatravir-plus-lenacapavir-could-be-first-once-weekly-oral-hiv-treatment

According to the post of Tonny2: Am I right in thinking that a standard pill like Biktarvy + 2 injections a year of Sunlenca (Lenacapavir) is an option for heavily treatment experienced with resistance and mutation issues?
Thank You :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 05:26:12 am by Matts »
Dovato

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2024, 05:35:01 am »
I think that this Once-a-week-pill of Lenacapavir/Islatravir will be an option for me in the future. There were a bit more side effects than in Biktarvy. Some patients had nausea and dry mouth.
Lets see what the phase 3 will bring up.
https://www.aidsmap.com/news/mar-2024/islatravir-plus-lenacapavir-could-be-first-once-weekly-oral-hiv-treatment

According to the post of Tonny2: Am I right in thinking that a standard pill like Biktarvy + 2 injections a year of Sunlenca (Lenacapavir) is an option for heavily treatment experienced with resistance and mutation issues?
Thank You :)

Yeah, with multidrug resistance, treatment options nowadays include optimized daily ART with six monthly injection of Lenacapavir.

https://www.poz.com/drug/sunlenca

https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=75017
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline kentfrat1783

• Instagram: kentfrat1783
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2024, 06:06:35 pm »
Once-a-week I could get used too and I think would be a good alternative.

Like Leatherman said, for many of us, the drive and extra cost of going to the doctors office every two months isn't cost effecitve. 

It will be interesting to see the results from the thrid phase of the trial and see what happens. 

But with anything good their are always some of us that won't be able to take the alternative, but still it's progress in the right direction.

Date - CD4 - Percent - VL
08/23/23 - 366 - 26%
06/20/23 - 349 - 21% - UD
04/15/23 - 229 - 19% - <20
11/14/22 - 486 - 24% - 73
10/12/22 - 316 - 19% - <20
06/20/22 - 292 - 21% - <20
01/25/22 - 321 - 22% - <20
09/22/21 - 278 - 19% - <20
02/02/21 - 225 - 19% - <20
06/08/20 - 257 - 20% - <20
03/17/20 - 285 - 19% - 101 (2.00)
12/17/19 - 290 - 20% - <20
09/17/19 - 218 - 16%
06/18/19 - 173 - 16% - <20
03/13/19 - 170 - 16% - <20
January 2019 - Started Triumeq
12/05/08 - 174 - 18% - <20
08/28/18 - 166 - 15% - <20
05/08/18 - 106 - 11% - <20
03/05/18 -   90 - 10% - <20
12/11/17 -   60 -   8%
09/07/17 -   42 -   6% - 54 (1.70)
May 2017 - Started Atripla
05/11/17 -    2 -    1% - 169,969 (5.23)
OI's: PCP
Dx`d May 11, 2017

Offline Loa111

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2024, 05:57:56 am »
I really like the idea of this once a week pill, sounds amazing.

So how long does Phase 3 trials last and if it the results are successful, approximately  how long before this could become available? (Obviously, it takes a long timeframe for new drugs to be approved over here in Ireland).

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2024, 06:12:36 am »
approximately  how long before this could become available? (Obviously, it takes a long timeframe for new drugs to be approved over here in Ireland).

No exact answer but I see it as 3-4 years if they start working on it today and if all goes well and that's a big "if".
Phase three 48-96 weeks. Add time for approvals, setup & recruitment time of a year and finally time to publish findings. Then comes the approval process, pretty quick in the EU.

As for Ireland the question isn't drug approval but costs. Ireland has plenty of approved or gray area drugs but that doesn't mean the HSE will supply them or that you can buy them here.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 06:15:09 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2024, 03:22:38 pm »
the question isn't drug approval but costs.
that's probably an issue everywhere. Medicare/Medicaid and most insurance companies take some time to put new (higher priced) meds on their formularies - especially when they are currently other (lower priced) meds available with more researched successful patient results.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.