Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:35:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 476
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 376
Total: 376

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ways to Coup/Deal with being +  (Read 7131 times)

Offline thenoesis89

Ways to Coup/Deal with being +
« on: March 02, 2019, 07:18:05 am »
So I've been having a lot of ups and downs since I have been diagnosed. The first two weeks were rough for me mentally. During some moments I would feel normal, some just numb, or just feel tired and over everything and almost on the verge of tears. And I always am tired, always feel tired. I had issues I had to deal with growing up and sometimes my mind goes to a dark place but I can snap out of it, but it seems to wander back at times. Now having almost a month with this new life and this week I feel my meds are finally making me feel almost normal again I almost forget I am HIV+, until it is time for my daily medicine. I've been dealing with this the best way I can and what seems to have helped me is the musical RENT. I have always loved that musical but now that I can relate it means much more. I listen to the music non stop now and I tear up when it gets too real, but it helps me keep pushing forward. I wish I had someone to talk to with in person about this sometimes as I feel so alone and isolated, but I keep trying to be positive and keep going on. What are some ways that can help me deal with this. What did you do to get you through this?

Offline Mindless

Re: Ways to Coup/Deal with being +
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 11:45:36 pm »
Hi there,

such a difficult question to answer in a post. I’m going through what you describe myself and tried psychotherapy, anti-depressants, self-help technics.
I was depressed way long before getting my dx (2 years ago) so I already had some experience with the dark side.
As I said, your question is very difficult to answer as I think each one of us is different and so requires different approaches/solutions. Though I left therapy after many many years my suggestion, if you never tried it, is to start from there: at the beginning an external help can be extremely important to put your first foot out of the depression pit. Sometimes also meds are necessary, eg. to get back your energy and not feel “tired” all the time.
Still don’t expect that these will be the solutions to all your inner troubles, always remember that you are in charge and nobody/nothing else can solve your problems on your behalf.

So, if you really feel hopeless, look out for help from someone with the right set of skills, someone you trust. But then remember the rest is up to you.

Feel free to get in touch if you need it.

M
Dx Feb. 2018, CD 320, %14

- Atripla Feb/18 -->
- Complera (generic) 2019 -->
- Dovato (generic) 2021 -->

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 05:04:54 am »
Hiya

You are only a month or so into this, being newly diagnosed can be a shock and a lot to digest at first. Give yourself time.

You mentioned in the other thread that your case worker had arranged an appointment with a therapist, how is that going?

Other things you could do to help you through this time are things like:

• Exercise, join a gym or run in the park.
  • Taking time for yourself, even short walks on breaks during the day
  • Eat well, eat healthy
  • Plenty of sleep/Rest
  • Avoid isolation, socialize. Friends etc but also perhaps peer support groups.

About the peer support groups, have you looked into if there are any local peer support groups? I think meeting more people face to face who have experienced the same can be really good. 

Best, Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline harleymc

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 11:44:38 pm »
It's perfectly normal to feel somewhat overwhelmed by a new diagnosis and new treatment regimen especially when the diagnosis is for a condition about which there is so much misinformation about.

General strategies that can help with depression and anxiety are varied and worth trying a few of them, they seem to work better as parts of solving the puzzle.

All the things that Jim suggested are great and things that I actively pursue.
In addition I'd look at throwing mindfulness and cognitive behaviour therapy (a talking therapy)

Mindless has some good suggestions too.

Ultimately you can pick and choose multiple strategies,  there is certainly no reason that we need to be unhappy in life.

Hugs

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.