Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:49:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773213
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 468
Total: 471

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: job interviewing with drug test policy  (Read 3290 times)

Offline webontheweb

job interviewing with drug test policy
« on: December 01, 2008, 11:00:34 pm »
Hi gang, I am sure that this has been covered ad infinitum, but nit where I have seen it.  If interviewing for a job where there is mandatory drug testing screen, what are the ramifications if any about being Poz and on meds?
I am getting ready to start looking for a new job/career and am curious.  It is better to know ahead of time what I need to do to protect myself.  Does Atripla or any of the other drugs out there throw :positives" out there in terms of what a company would be looking for in a drug screen?
Thanks for your help.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: job interviewing with drug test policy
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 11:17:47 pm »
My understanding is that Sustiva (and thus Atripla) can possibly show a positive on a drug test.  This result can then be clarified on a more in-depth test that will show it to be this prescription medication and not an illegal street drug.  To my knowledge, Sustiva is the only current antiretroviral that may give this result.  However, be advised that nearly (if not all) antiretrovirals can increase blood levels of other drugs in one's system which will also potentially lead to a "false positive". For example, ingesting Sudafed can often result in a positive urine test for methamphetamine - and the presence of antiretorvirals can increase the likelihood of this happening. 

Also be advised that some auxillary medications will produce a positive.  Two very common ones include Marinol (which is essentially pot in pill form) and Adderall / Ritalin (which are prescription amphetamines). 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 11:53:30 pm »
Be armed.  A whole shit pot of other drugs can provide a false positive.

http://www.passyourdrugtest.com/false-positives.htm

These false positives can be cleared on a confirmation test if your employer wishes to go that route and cough up the extra cash to do so. 

I once tested positive for pot due to Advil.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline rachel2008

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 10:06:12 am »
I did a drug test for a job right before Thanksgiving.  The company that hired me outsourced the drug test to another company.  The drug test people didn't ask any questions except to get my phone number.  They would contact me if they had any questions in regards to my test results.  I take Reyataz, Truvada, and Norvir and I passed the test.  I wouldn't worry.  If they contact you just inform them of the meds you are on.  It should be fine.  Good Luck with the job hunting.

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 11:59:07 am »
I did a drug test for a job right before Thanksgiving.  The company that hired me outsourced the drug test to another company.  The drug test people didn't ask any questions except to get my phone number.  They would contact me if they had any questions in regards to my test results.  I take Reyataz, Truvada, and Norvir and I passed the test.  I wouldn't worry.  If they contact you just inform them of the meds you are on.  It should be fine.  Good Luck with the job hunting.

All the responses (to my knowledge) seem right. In general few taking ARVs will "fail" a drug test, unless you're consuming one of the prohibited drugs, like pot. But preparation and knowledge are a good approach. It is stressful looking for work, so why not find out your particular meds won't give a false positive, and if you find out otherwise, have a plan involving your MD, pharmacist, prescription docs, etc in place. I have passed 2 or 3 of these tests while on meds (not recently, though).

I have never wanted to have a follow-up to a failed drug test because ARVs mean HIV. I am not so naive as to think most employers (public or private) find a POZ applicant an ideal addition to their workforce. Unless a US employer has a HIV non-discrimination policy, usually as an explicit interpretation of the ADA (you really can find this out anonymously. I did so twice for piece of mind), the whole discussion could lead to being refused employment, since no one could document why you and so many others weren't chosen for a particular position. If an employer violates their own non-discrimination policy then you would have obvious leverage, especially if you use an intermediary (don't start with a lawyer, maybe better, ASO director, other advocate, etc). In that kind of embarrassing bind, they might even favor a POZ applicant over an otherwise equal applicant just to avoid the headaches of someone going after them.

Denying people employment simply because they have one or more chronic illnesses (as opposed to couldn't perform their job) is so unfair, when for so many, employment is the only available road to accessing medical coverage. Stupid! Single-payer single-standard medical coverage for all would end this particular Catch-22. And cost less overall.

Chances are high folks would not fail a drug test due to their ARV therapy. But nothing stops anyone from researching their combo in advance. GOOD LUCK!

8)  -megasept
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:05:34 pm by megasept »

Offline webontheweb

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 08:05:05 am »
Thansk everyone for the input.  I am sure we all learned something!  I am sure that like most companies, they probably just do a hair test, but one never knows.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Cheers,
e

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 08:26:44 pm »
Dear Web,

I asked that same question before a job interview at a daily newspaper with a zero drug policy.  The drug tests are expensive and limited to recreational drugs, not HIV drugs.  My ID doc said the tests would show an increase or a decrease in either white or red blood cells.  Sorry, I do not remember the exact because it was several years ago.  I was instructed to say, "My doctor and I are aware of it and we are working on it."

I passed the drug test but did not feel up to a 40 hour week in a high stress industry.  I did not accept the job offer  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.