Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:21:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 469
Total: 470

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sushi  (Read 20420 times)

Offline coastguy

Sushi
« on: August 09, 2006, 05:33:33 pm »
Should a person with HIV eat Sushi ? VL undetectable CD4 1052. No hx of OIs.
Thanks,
Coast Guy ???

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: Sushi
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 05:37:05 pm »
a person? as in you?  ;)  with a CD4 count at 1,052 and undetectable VL it's probably safe to eat sushi

under 100 would be a different story

ask your doctor too (as always)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 12:32:09 am »
Hey Coast Guy,

I agree. With CD4s like yours, you are probably at no more risk than the average neggie out there.

The one caveat I would include would be to make sure the establishment is top notch, always a good idea with sushi anyway.

Also, If my CD4s dropped below 350, I would be hesitant. I say this only because people with HIV are much more highly disposed to food poisoning (i.e. contaminated foods causing bacterial infections and problems in the gut) and for that infection to progress to a more troublesome type of disease.

I, for one, love sushi and do endulge at times. (Not all that often though. I live in New Mexico, a land-locked state with no beach in site.)

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 08:48:44 am »
I ate sushi a few days ago and I was thinking about raw fish and a weak immune system...fortunately nothing bad happened.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 10:50:45 pm »
My doctor warned me when my cd4s were in the 2-300 range about eating sushi.  That was eons ago and a couple doctors ago as well and I've not heard any warnings because my numbers are +800.

A quick search shows that these should be avoided as well:

Rare or medium-rare hamburger and turkey burger.
Unpasteurized fruit juices.
Raw sprouts.
Raw or undercooked eggs.
Raw shellfish, such as oysters.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 12:11:19 am »
eep. I eat all that stuff.
:)
 Only thing that's made me sick has been water :)

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline clarke

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 02:18:35 pm »
I'm not sure of how your Sushi place is run.  Ours is great, but, the raw fish sushi (spicey Tuna, Salmon) they serve has been previously frozen to kill any residents that might be hiding in it.  I used to eat fresh, raw sushi when I lived in Portland, Oregon, but that was in the late 70's.

I guess in many areas, fresh (not previously frozen) raw Sushi is served, but when we started going to the place we go to now, I asked.

I don't eat raw oysters anymore (that was before I was diagnosed).  Got sick too many times from them.  But I make a great oyster stuffing for turkey  ;D

Offline carbonNYC

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 09:33:26 pm »
Freezing works well on killing certain living parasites, but notably neither freezing nor cooking will get rid of certain toxins found in shellfish. This is probably only an issue for the immunocompromised -- and not so worrisome for most (fish) sushi -- but good to know.

When I go out for sushi, I make a point of ordering the eel (and a few other items) which are cooked. Then you get all the tastiness without the worry.
David
carbonNYC -a-t- gmail.com
Check out the Flickr photos I've taken!

Offline clarke

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 10:04:51 am »
I've eaten many things, but have yet to try eel  ::)    ;D

Offline carbonNYC

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 10:22:00 am »
Think of eel as a long, skinny fish and you get over your aversion.

Halibut, which we all consider "normal," is much weirder than your average, run-of-mill fish from a biological perspective. An eel is just a fish stretched out. :) Does that help?
David
carbonNYC -a-t- gmail.com
Check out the Flickr photos I've taken!

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 01:54:11 am »
I have often wondered how people can eat raw fish, I hate fish but loves some chitlins...lol...But I only eat them when I cook them.....yum!
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 03:16:05 am »
I've been eating sushi and sashimi (specifically raw fish) on a weekly basis since I've had a cd4 count of 35 (that was a year ago).  I love the stuff, and have never been a fan of going without things in life that I enjoy.  I do however, make sure I buy it from a reputable and clean outlet and that it is fresh.  Ultimately, it's your choice about what you choose to stuff in your mouth.

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 09:07:45 pm »
Oh man......now I have a hankering for sushi. Northern Michigan doesn't present much in the line of Japanese food...but we have Mexican food up the butt....and out the butt just as fast.
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline aztecan

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 10:54:33 pm »
Oh man......now I have a hankering for sushi. Northern Michigan doesn't present much in the line of Japanese food...but we have Mexican food up the butt....and out the butt just as fast.

Oh Lordy! Mexican food in Michigan? EEP!

No, no, my dear. You must visit me one day. I will treat your tastebuds to some cuisine Nuevo Mexicano. There is none other like it.

Spicy, delicious, fattening and something I could eat daily. (Of course, I am a native.)

I hear they grow awesome cherries in Michigan. Is that true? I love cherries.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 07:03:49 pm »
I will have to come visit!  Michigan should never have mexican food.   Ever.

Traverse City is the cherry captial of the world!! =)
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline Morton Salt

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 06:21:00 pm »
My wife and i eat sushi about 3 times a week. its delicious and good for you.  My cd4 is 138 last time i checked. I still eat it and plenty of it. No probs at all.
~Mort

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 06:52:47 pm »
I have always wondered how something raw like fish could be good for you? If someone could please explain that one to me....
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline aztecan

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 08:51:39 am »
Hey Akasha,
Actually, not all sushi is raw. Some, like the eel, crab and, at times, shrimp, are cooked before being rolled into those delightful shapes.

Some is raw, however.

The rule of thumb of Hi-fivers is to always assume food is contaminated. Raw foods are inherently dangerous.  I know many partake without adverse effects, as our Mort has just stated.

But trust me, all it takes is once and BAMMO!

I used to love oysters on the half shell, and with my current CD4 I could still. The problem is, I used to shuck oysters for a living and I've seen what comes crawling out at times when you least expect it.

Now, I still eat sushi, but I am very selective and, should my CD4 drip below 500, I would cease consuming it unless it is of the cooked variety.

But you really should try the eel. It is fabulous.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline chadnla

• Relaxed in SoCal
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 08:51:47 pm »
I actually just had eel two weeks ago for the first time.  I don't eat sushi oftern but when I do I really enjoy it.   I must say that the eel tasted excellent (but not like chicken, although I did tell the sushi chefs that..come to thnk of it, they were pretty sexy). err, I digress.  It was a reputable place and expensive, but if I'm gonna eat sushi, I feel that paying more equates to better preparation. Just my 2 cents.

And I agree with cubbybear, that I really don't like to give up things I enjoy.  There's bad stuff out there period, neg or poz, you just have to be careful either way.  Life's too short for me to give up the foods/drinks I love regardless of my status, although I watch it more closely now.
"I do not believe in a fate that will fall on us no matter what we do. I do believe in a fate that will fall on us if we do nothing."

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 06:35:24 am »
I wouldn't worry about it!

Lots of people mistake sushi with sashimi.   Typically, most of the sushi Americans are referring to are things such as California rolls and things which actually contain cooked items though not all.   I can't see these as being any more dangerous than a salad.

Sashimi I have never cared for anyway and I wouldn't have eaten it before being diagnosed.

Your counts are great.  I wouldn't be concerned at all.   I agree with the other poster that if your counts were very low you want to avoid taking chances.

I'm a big seafood lover, but I generally go for cooked things.   I happen to love shrimp, but I will say I choose the fresh kind that I can boil and know it's safe rather than the precooked.
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline gatortony

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 01:11:22 pm »
Funny that I came across this while eating a sashimi platter accompanied by warm sake.  I agree that having a relationship with the chef where you go is imperative.  My guy knows that I am a Pozitron.  If he feels there is anything not quite "on" he warns me against it.  It could just be the sake that goes in and cauterizes any nasties from the raw fish.  Try Toro if you can.  it is the most delicious part of the tuna.

And I agree on anything eel.  Have gone on eel hand roll binges that would make those competitive eater dudes wince.

Peace.
Tony
Heureux, qui comme Ulysse a fait un beau voyage.....

Offline aztecan

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 11:19:39 pm »
OK, now I'm having cravings for sushi. I've eaten so much holiday fare I am sick.

Tony, I have had sashimi, but its not high on my preference list. I also usually avoid California rolls because they usually contain artifical crab, which contains wheat byproducts, to which I am intolerant.

But, hmmmm, eel certainly sounds very yummy right now.

HUGS,

Mark

I just realized I used to CD4 levels in two posts on this thread. Let me just say should my CD4s drop below 500, I would be hesitant to eat sushi unless it was the cooked variety and from a very reputable establishment.

If they drop below 350, I would avoid it altogether if I were not absolutely certain the cooked and raw ingredients were kept completely separate at all times.

But, until that time comes, look out!  ;D

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 11:23:34 pm by aztecan »

Offline northernguy

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2006, 06:23:34 pm »
Here in YVR we're blessed with a lot of Japanese restaurants and fresh fish caught right offshore.  Having to give up sushi would be a real blow, almost as bad as having to give up the large Kirin and Asahi ;)
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline bear60

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2006, 12:52:44 pm »
Mark...Have you ever made your own sushi? Its really easy to do and you put anything in it you want.  Start by going to a store that sells supplies.
I have had a selection of sushi...not all of the sushi rolls contain raw fish. You could just as easily replace the raw fish with pickeled or cooked.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline aztecan

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2006, 11:05:20 pm »
Hey Bear,
I haven't yet, but I have recently acquired the supplies to begin making my own sushi.

With my lipid levels turning my blood into oily syrup, I think more fish is definitely in order and sushi would be a great way to keep it from getting boring.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline bear60

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2006, 07:25:19 pm »
Mark...
I hope your blood doesnt get that bad!!!! Making sushi was such a treat, and I learned from a lovely Hawiian guy of Japanese descent.  It was so much fun to shop at a Japanese type store and then make our own sushi. I was living near Seattle at the time.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Just John

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2006, 05:41:47 pm »
Mmmmm, I've just caught up with this thread Guys and now I'm getting hungry, I love Sushi but don't get to eat it that often although I try to visit an excellent Japanese restaurant in nearby Leeds everytime I visit or a not quite so good one here in Manchester. To be honest I'd never given any thought to my CD4 count or anything nor was I ever warned against it :o, but as I've never to my knowledge been below 190 and usually above this I've possibly just been lucky.

I have only a few comments to make;

With regard to the raw fish (is that Sashimi?), if you've ever googled "cod worm" you probably never ever would again :-X, although the cooked and pre-frozen ones should be OK.

EEL?? Ugggh. I only ever tried jellied eels once in London, I also refer to the above 'cos they look similar and - err, the Manchester Ship Canal isn't renowned for the high quality of it's wildlife ;D

The only serious thing I have to say is about anything with a shellfish content. If you have cholesterol problems avoid it... except on rare occasions 'cos it contains very high levels of the stuff -- shame it tastes so damn good :'(
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2007, 03:05:27 am »
Eel (Unagi) & Cucumber Sushi Rolls.. YUM, and next to raw salmon or raw tuna Sushi Rolls, are my favourite.  And I love Sashimi.  I've been terrible and ate Sushi and Sashimi even when my CD4 count was well below 50.. but I always made sure it was fresh, well stored and prepared hygenically, or better still, made my own, which is quite fun. 

Bring on the Sushi!  I have it at least once or twice a week.

Mark that artifical crab/seafood stuff is disgusting.. I certainly don't blame you from not eating it.  It also contains a large % of tripe (the stomach lining from a cow!) *gag*

Offline egello

• cb
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 12:48:44 am »
Just to warn you guys, I used to wait tables at a fancy Japanese restaurant when I was schooling in LA, and one of my co worker's husband was sushi chef. She told me that I should not order spicy tuna roll because they will use the "left over," "scraps,' or "left over," part of the fish for that spciy mixture at the beggining of their shift. Since then, as tasty as they are, I never get that particular roll. I tend to stick with more fishy sushi or sashimi in general such as Uni or Spanish Aji.

I LOVE UNI, I even got pinned by one when I was trying to dig one up from the sea floor in Maui. There is something about uni, anybody else like that stuff?
1/29/07 14 T, 300 k V, 1.8 %
2/22/07 197 T, 247 V, 6.8 %
3/27/07 164 T, <50 V, 5.4 %
5/28/07 177 T, <50 V, 8.2 %
7/28/07 214 T, <50 V, 9.6 %
10/3/07 380 T, <50 V, 10 %

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2007, 02:32:40 pm »
Just to warn you guys, I used to wait tables at a fancy Japanese restaurant when I was schooling in LA, and one of my co worker's husband was sushi chef. She told me that I should not order spicy tuna roll because they will use the "left over," "scraps,' or "left over," part of the fish for that spciy mixture at the beggining of their shift. Since then, as tasty as they are, I never get that particular roll.

Thanks for the 411

Spicy shady tuna roll - None for me thanks!  :D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.