Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:11:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 341
Total: 342

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Weight gain and meds?  (Read 9195 times)

Offline RobbyR

Weight gain and meds?
« on: May 22, 2019, 08:08:28 pm »
Hey everyone hope everyone in here is doing well. I’ve got a question about meds and effect on body weight. I started Atripla in 2010, stayed on it about 4 years then started Stribild but have been on Genvoya the last couple years. Getting off Atripla helped my mental state a lot, coupled with intensive treatment that I went through and my mental health is better now than ever. However, I am a little worried about body changes. Before I was diagnosed, I was thin, flat stomach, never gained much. I was too thin, but I was very physically active and able to do what I wanted. After starting meds, slowly I put on weight but it has mostly been belly fat and not much anywhere else. I just can’t seem to get rid of it. I’m tall and thin so it doesn’t show too much and I try to hide it as best I can. But I’m just wondering if it’s lipo. Maybe natural aging too? But I’m interested to see if maybe my meds could be changed or tweaked to try another combination that might enable me to lose this belly fat. Is there a test they can do to see if it’s med related or just natural? It’s driving me nuts I was always able to do what I wanted and eat what I wanted and never gained any. Maybe I just need to try to add more cardio in. Thanks for any thoughts!
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline MarkintheDark

Re: Weight gain and meds?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 07:13:12 am »
I can only speak to my own experience.  Genvoya ballooned me 20lbs.  A few of the other folks here have related similar and I hope they respond, as well.
HIV dx - 02/93
AIDS dx - 07/01
Rilpivirine/Cabotegravir guinea pig since 01/17

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 01:39:24 pm »
Yea I’m over this shit. I’ve always been a skinny person but since I’ve been on meds I’ve had a stomach I can’t get rid of. Is there any alternative regimen I might try that doesn’t cause weight gain?

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 06:04:58 pm »
Better fat than dead though  ;)

Anyhow could be a combo of things, Meds, but also like you mention aging might be playing a role, time to up the activity and, reduce the intake prehaps. Before you run out and do anything however talk to your doctor and see what they think.

Best, Jim

Integrase Inhibitors May Be Tied to Weight Gain
https://www.poz.com/article/integrase-inhibitors-may-tied-weight-gain#search-query=weight%20gain

Weight Gain and Immune Activation May Be Linked in People With HIV
https://www.poz.com/article/weight-gain-immune-activation-may-linked-people-hiv#search-query=weight%20gain

HIV makes you fat
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=69386.msg
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 02:23:38 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 09:04:03 pm »
I’m tall and thin so it doesn’t show too much and I try to hide it as best I can.
how tall and what's your weight?

but I was very physically active and able to do what I wanted. . . . It’s driving me nuts I was always able to do what I wanted and eat what I wanted and never gained any. Maybe I just need to try to add more cardio in.
what are you not able to do nowadays?

also, I'd point out that you're 10 yrs older now.  ;) age does change things no matter how much we try to hold back the years
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline crisbarcelona

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 10:09:55 am »
Hello to everybody,
I want only to say that I am on genvoya for 1 year and I got 2 kg more and its imposible to lose them. I eat healthy, exercise, gym....but the 2 kg are here...jeje

Greatings from Barcelona

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 06:41:01 pm »
how tall and what's your weight?
what are you not able to do nowadays?

also, I'd point out that you're 10 yrs older now.  ;) age does change things no matter how much we try to hold back the years

I’m 5’11 about 178-180. Kinda hate my bod though. I have long legs and thin arms but when I gain it goes straight to belly. Literally anything I eat goes there. Not sure what to do. Planning on starting to workout regularly and see if that helps any. When I’ve talked to trainers they always say I need more calories to gain muscle mass but I’m always on the go and so usually just have to grab what I can. What body fat I have is love handles and belly fat but my arms and legs are skinny. About 10 years ago before meds I was a beanpole though. Was underweight then. So I def need to stay at a good weight, just not where it is on my body.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 06:44:06 pm by RobbyR »

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline filopoz

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 07:38:43 am »
i have gained weight as well during my first 3months on Genvoya. Then I've decided to go on low carb diet (with my doctor's approval) and this helps me to regulate my fat level. Still eat ice cream and dessert every now and then but most of the time I eat whole foods with low carbs now. As a bonus, it helps with my triglycerides and fasting glucose..

Offline virgo313

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 11:35:32 am »
I weight around 68 kg before it dips fast to 52kg when sick and hospitalised.
Now back to normal 68-70kg but belly balloon figure. Not sure if it is related to ART.
Just told myself that I am happy to be alive. Also i have no choice in alternative meds.
Try to eat healthy food but hard to follow unless I wear blinker every time I go out. Too many street food operating round the clock here  ;D.
I will settle with the fact I am alive.
RVD Nov 2015. VL --> Log 5.32 HAART on 23/11/15
TDF+FTC+EFV / Chemo KS - 25/11/15 - 20/01/16.
CD4 - 4 (3/11/15) / VL - 225,000

Offline fabio

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 12:40:40 pm »
A bit of weight isn't all that bad. As Jim said better fat than dead.
Personally I used to be 72 kg and now am at 80 height 181cm . I feel more full and enjoy life a lot more now than I did before,plus I eat without limiting myself or cutting anything. Of course I do all that in moderation.
Also I thankfully started to fit on my old jeans hehe.

Offline Loa111

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 03:17:05 am »
Yes I’ve put on weight and belly is fatter than ever. Just on treatment over one year. Normallywas about 83kg, then when I got sick as advanced case went to 74kg now I’m better and 92kg! Not sure if the immune recovery caused me to eat like a pig lol plus was eating comfort food like chocolate in bed at night! I’m exercising a few times a week so hoping to get 6-7 kilos off this year. Just a bit too fat n ballooned looking.

Offline fabio

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 07:21:48 am »
It's probably stress eating. It might be the impact (psychological) of the diagnosis makes you overeat or skip going out/exercising and you get the effect of weight gain.

Offline crisbarcelona

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 09:44:53 am »
Hello Again to everybody,
I have to explain that I have now my normal weight before treatment. Perhaps the boy only needs some time to be all right with the meds.
I hope I can continue like this. I eat healthy, I walk a lot and go to the gym.
Greatings.

Offline newone

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 06:56:24 pm »
I am sure getting older is a factor in changing body weight and belly fat but coincidentally since I switched from Strilbild to Gevonya I gained 10kgs despite increasing my gym attendance and eating as before
I wonder how easy it will be for the Dr to agree for a different regime if one is available.
Sustiva, Atripla, Complera, Stribild, Genvoya. Odefsey, Dovato.

Offline newone

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 07:23:16 pm »
Stopping Gevonya and going back to the new version of Complera, (Odefsey).

Offline newone

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2019, 07:29:53 pm »
(talking to myself)
Apparently my switch from Genvoya to Odefsey is a waste of time as the probable culprit for weight gain is present in both pills.

Offline fabio

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2019, 09:17:18 am »
I have thought too that my meds might be making me gain weight. However,since getting better psychologically I am taking care of myself a lot more,going for hikes,cycling etc.
I mean a bit of weight wouldn't hurt,it's better than being skeletor  .
Did you start with the odefsey? Did it give you any side effects?

Offline newone

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2019, 03:24:06 am »
Hi, Fabio,
I have been on Genvoya for the last two years and put on lots of weight despite working out and eating sensibly, still not sure if it is a coincidence or due to Genvoya, the only noticeable side effect was/is some feeling fatigued some 2 hours after taking my daily dose, changing to Odefsey next week and as I used to be on Complera before Genvoya I should tolerate Odefsey without any major problems, we 'll see.

Offline fabio

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2019, 11:53:37 am »
Hopefully it does work out great for you.
It's weird that even though I'm taking meds I don't have any weird side effects (except in the first week) and I kinda don't know if my body is or isn't normal.
I mostly gained weight when I was in the army 4 years ago,where I was a cook (I ate a lot of good stuff,even chocolate pie made for the colonel 😉 hehe). However now I am getting in a normal weight as I get more active.
Also,something off topic,who the heck makes up these weird med name's 😂😂.

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2019, 05:37:29 pm »
Here's another article I ran across integrase inhibitors and weight gain authored by an HIV doc.  I'm thinking about switching to dolutegravir at some point and wouldn't mind adding a few pounds so long as it was not around the waist.  I work out as much as I can but am still noticably shriveling as I age (now 63).

https://www.thebodypro.com/article/top-weight-gain-hiv-antiretrovirals
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 05:40:50 pm by MitchMiller »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2019, 08:23:57 pm »
 >:(

I thought I mentioned this in perhaps another thread,  But without a doubt, I have gained weight. I've been keeping track of my weight, since 2003. I weigh and record it every Sunday Morning. My weight in April of 2018, on old regimen, was 176 pounds. Also noticed the weight gain after about the third month on Triumeq.

My weight on 12/1/19, is 190 pounds !  :o

I started on Triumeq on 4/23/18, and  remained on it until 7/17/19, when I started on  Biktarvy,  but the weight gain has been horrendous. I am still on Biktarvy.

I thought the once a day dosing would be nice,  but on my next visit to the Doctor,  I am going to ask to go back to Viramune, twice a day and Epzicom once a day.

I've gained at least minimum of 12 pounds since 4/23/18, and a good portion of that weight has been put on since starting on Biktarvy.

It's just plain uncomfortable now. Would sure like to be able to tuck my shirts back into the pants again.  ::) clothes don't even fit right. Waist is now about a 39, from
36. A 3 inch waist gain.  All in the waist and belly ! I haven't changed anything in my daily routine and diet.

I have had the highest CD4 counts since 4/23/18, On These once a day meds,  But I rather go back to the regimen I was on for about 15 years. I was undetectable all the time, on the original viramune and epzicom. I did have some weight gain on Viramune and Epzicom, but no where near, what I am experiencing now.

Take care---Ray

« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 08:28:46 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Loa111

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2019, 10:27:50 am »
Interesting. I've a bit of a belly on me, and regardless of what training, jogging or gym I do, it seems to stay there, and I am very fit for my age. Of course I lost about 10kgs when I ended up in hospital and found out I'd an advanced Dx. Since then I've put on about 12-13kgs so I am certainly 3ish kilos above where I'd naturally would be. Belly has put a few inches on my pants size to. I could do without this fat belly and was beginning to wonder if this is treatment related?
I'm on Descoy and Tivicay pill combo.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 10:33:18 am by Loa111 »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2019, 11:50:21 am »
Interesting. I've a bit of a belly on me, and regardless of what training, jogging or gym I do, it seems to stay there, and I am very fit for my age. Of course I lost about 10kgs when I ended up in hospital and found out I'd an advanced Dx. Since then I've put on about 12-13kgs so I am certainly 3ish kilos above where I'd naturally would be. Belly has put a few inches on my pants size to. I could do without this fat belly and was beginning to wonder if this is treatment related?
I'm on Descoy and Tivicay pill combo.

Could be untreated HIV kept you weight lower for years as you had an AIDS ,(Advanced HIV) dignosis so natural level would be hard to pinpoint I presume, chiming in as I had similar experience

i had a belly starting to form , more like the pregnancy look  ;D tried exercise did nothing next to just hurting so started instead with more routine daily activity i.e walking on breaks, morning walk, walk to the shops  and sticking to 3 meals a day instead of munching fixed things for me within a 3-4 month time frame. I doubt I can blame the meds for it, just aging and more movement needed

When starting treatment I did gain about 10 kg, (I could check the exact number) within a short few months , although, it was needed. I had become seriously underweight before starting and been living with HIV for a long time untreated so very skinny for a long time before the final decline in weight set in.

My point is multiple factors could and do often play a role, that vary per person. Although in short better fat than dead or the skinny "AIDS," look . Do keep an eye on it and if its bothering people discuss what options you have with your healthcare provider
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 12:02:02 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2019, 12:03:38 pm »
@RobbyR

As its your thread just wanted to check how you are getting on and if any progress has been made?

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline newone

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2020, 11:32:11 pm »
Still struggling with weight gain even after switching from Genvoya to Odofsey, now trying Dovato and hope for the best but with one medicine less in the combo and no need for food when taking it I am already happier than yesterday and not missing hearth burn and fatigue from Odofsey, slimmer??..time will tell.

Offline fabio

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2020, 11:12:09 am »
Hopefully it works well for you.
I on the other hand have started being more active and eating a stable diet,without any processed stuff and I can see the difference in how I look and feel. Even my clothes fit better.
Anyways,I hope everything goes well with dovato,good luck.

Offline newone

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2020, 04:14:38 pm »
Thanks, fabio, it was not just the weight problem but also fatigue and heartburn etc.

Offline gorka

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2020, 06:35:28 pm »
I gained at least 50lbs on biktarvy. about to switch to dovato.  i was newly infected so my viral load was low and was not in category of being worn out from hiv for years etc so u gain weight as u get better.  its all in my belly and lower back and i hate it.  excersize does not help much and i also tried keto and the only thing that losses wight are my legs and arms that are sorta skinny anyway. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.