Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:09:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 345
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A new policy for the Boyscouts?  (Read 18021 times)

Offline tednlou2

Re: A new policy for the Boyscouts?
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2013, 12:29:54 am »
There is a Baptist church here that so many gay friends attend.  I couldn't believe it.  They said it really isn't the Baptist you would normally think.  Here is what they say on their website:

"We believe that God includes all in the community of faith regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, class, or education. Thus Highland is made up of rich and poor, gay and straight, Red and Blue, black and white, young and old, Ph.D. and GED."

So, they just kept the Baptist title, without following the beliefs they are known for.  I suppose the Red and Blue may be reference to the rivalry between universities here?  I do think this is extremely rare--for Baptist churches especially.  I suppose that goes without saying. 

Other than this place and the church started by gays, I have never heard of a church here that says being gay is cool with the baby Jesus.  Some may be tolerant and allow you to attend services, but I think they would say being gay is a sin, but that many things are sins, while probably seeing being gay as a bigger sin and hoping you would have a transformation.  Could be wrong, but I have never heard of other churches here that say being gay is perfectly natural and the way God made you. 

https://hbclouisville.org/about-us/

Offline buginme2

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2013, 01:14:59 am »
I'm sure it depends on location as well.  There is a church here that has a giant rainbow flag hanging from their steeple and its not uncommon to see drag queens dressed in their sunday best attending services.

www.allpilgrims.org

I went to catholic college and it was very progressive and liberal and gay.  Granted it was a Jesuit University but they are still catholic.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2013, 01:21:17 am »
I'm sure it depends on location as well.  There is a church here that has a giant rainbow flag hanging from their steeple and its not uncommon to see drag queens dressed in their sunday best attending services.

Ooh chile, that actually sounds kinda fabulous. 

Not that I'd join any church, as I'm a firm believer in the notion that Die Religion ... ist das Opium des Volkes, but I kinda like the whole lovey-dovey, inclusive nature of a congregation such as that one. 
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline buginme2

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2013, 01:33:37 am »

Ooh chile, that actually sounds kinda fabulous. 

Not that I'd join any church, as I'm a firm believer in the notion that Die Religion ... ist das Opium des Volkes, but I kinda like the whole lovey-dovey, inclusive nature of a congregation such as that one.

I dont do religion either.  I did however go to this church one time as a guest of a friend of mine.  It was refreshing to see the drag queens line up to take communion.  They were all dressed up with big hats and pearls.  Was super cute.

Oh I forgot. Best thing about this place wasnt just that they had drag queens.  There were also families and grandmas and old peiple who have lived in the neighborhood their whole lives, lesbians you name it all going to church tovether.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:36:32 am by buginme2 »
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2013, 01:42:16 am »
Now, this is the gay church here in Louisville.  Brian went for a while.  Even though it was gay run, I still just didn't see the point in going.  Perhaps that was short-sighted, as we could have met some great friends.  But, I felt like I would just be sitting there like a bump on the log, while true believers were praising Christ. 

http://www.mcclouisvilleky.org/

Oh, our friends adopted a baby.  The adoption agent, or whatever she is called, had a list of groups that facilitate adoptions.  Because they were gay, the list of 15 was reduced to 2.  I didn't realize how many adoptions are handled by religious groups.  I thought that was so unfortunate, as so many kids end up staying in children's homes until they are 18.  Or, they go from one foster family to the next.  If you're a black child, your odds of staying in the system go way up.   

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2013, 08:05:49 am »

BTW - Ann, the Girl Scouts have received a lot of criticism for coming out totally in support of gay leaders and members. This is why, with no real sweet tooth to speak of, I buy thirty dollars' worth of those damned cookies every year.

I missed this last night - and I'm glad I re-read some portions of this thread and noticed it.

I'm so happy to hear that the GSA has kept and expanded their policy of inclusion. I know back in my day they were pretty progressive and taught girls and young women that we had worth in society and could be independent. Original Girl Power, if you will.

When I was still living in the States in the '80 I watched institution after institution crumble to the Moral Majority's stance. I guess I always assumed the GSA would have too - at least to an extent.

Maybe someday Girl Scouts will have Gay Pride badges to put on their sashes. (although I think they wear vests now instead of sashes) Wouldn't that be wonderful?

... since when do you not have a sweet-tooth? ???
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2013, 10:28:42 am »
Maybe someday Girl Scouts will have Gay Pride badges to put on their sashes. (although I think they wear vests now instead of sashes) Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Maybe someday, Gay Pride will only be remembered as history, as sexual orientation will no longer be seen as anything but just another facet of human beings.

Joe

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2013, 10:33:02 am »
Maybe someday, Gay Pride will only be remembered as history, as sexual orientation will no longer be seen as anything but just another facet of human beings.

Joe

There's a thing I've seen on the net that says, "Someday no one will come out.  They'll say they are in love and that will be enough."
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2013, 11:00:40 am »
Yeah , but unfortunately at my current age, I doubt I'll live to witness any of this, however, I'm very glad to be a part of this place in history someday, when living with other man for the last 20yrs. of my life will no longer be viewed as something deviant in the future :)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2013, 12:04:46 pm »

"We believe that God includes all in the community of faith regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, class, or education. Thus Highland is made up of rich and poor, gay and straight, Red and Blue, black and white, young and old, Ph.D. and GED."

This is almost word for word to Travis Park Methodist Mission stmt..

We serve and learn as brothers and sisters from all walks of life:
          rich and poor,
                    housed and homeless,
                              gay and straight,
                                        black and brown and white,
                                                  secular and sacred,
                                                                 PhD and GED.
God calls us on a journey forward,to break down the walls of prejudice and to embrace all our brothers and sister.

But dont you think the "Red and Blue" in your example refers to Repubs and Dems vs some universities?
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline denb45

« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2013, 12:23:19 pm »
Oh Willypoo I wouldn't worry to much about any of this, in the holly roller church they all believe that there is power in the blood of jebus  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2013, 12:40:06 pm »
O in the holly roller church

lol. whats the Holy Roller Church?
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline denb45

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2013, 12:42:55 pm »
Holly Roller Church

Definition: "Pentecostal" Christians may also be described as "Charismatic." Pentecostals include Protestant Christians who believe that the "manifestations of the Holy Spirit"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2013, 12:57:13 pm »
http://www.unitedchurchgranville.org/how-we-came-to-be-the-united-church-of-granville.html

I simply could not believe when one of our local Baptist churches started actively recruiting gays.  Not for transformational purposes, but rather for fellowship and mutual acceptance.

Sitting through plenty of damnation sermons, I never thought I'd see this happen.  I'll try to find the link, but my alma mater (Mount Vernon Nazarene University) has also changed their views towards homosexuality.  When I attended, puritan sex was forbidden and preached against.  Having gay tendencies would haver required individual prayer therapy with the church leaders.  Now that I think about it, I probably could have made a few hookups...hmmm...might have missed some hot clergy sex.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2013, 01:30:49 pm »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2013, 02:10:47 pm »
So far, I remain unimpressed by the actions of the BSA.  Rather than coming out against any discrimination at the national level, they are simply offering the "option" of accepting gay folks at the local level.  What message is it that they are sending?

I think it goes something like this: "We've lost untold revenue because of our gay ban, so if we change the national policy, nobody can claim we discriminate against gays, because we don't... at least not at the national level."  Problem solved.

Not impressed at all.

Joe

Offline denb45

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2013, 02:13:12 pm »
Growing up in the Holly Roller/Evangelical church we were required to give @ least 15% to 20% of our income, if you could not do this @ least 10% was the norm  :)

but this guy, is just plain "CHEAP" both Bob & I always tip @ least 20 to 25% around  town, now-a-days isn't this considered the norm all over  ;D

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2013, 02:22:52 pm »
So far, I remain unimpressed by the actions of the BSA.  Rather than coming out against any discrimination at the national level, they are simply offering the "option" of accepting gay folks at the local level.  What message is it that they are sending?

I think it goes something like this: "We've lost untold revenue because of our gay ban, so if we change the national policy, nobody can claim we discriminate against gays, because we don't... at least not at the national level."  Problem solved.

Not impressed at all.

Joe

Social change is generally incremental. First you get to eat at a lunch counter, then later you get to vote. It sucks but that's just the way it works.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.