Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:56:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 463
Total: 464

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Alpha Lipoic Acid for Neuropathy???  (Read 13603 times)

Offline blondbeauty

Alpha Lipoic Acid for Neuropathy???
« on: July 26, 2006, 09:03:09 pm »
I found this article from the Mayo Clinic. It is about diabetic neuropathy and alpha lipoic acid. Maybe it could be applied to hiv neuropathy...what do you think?
http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2003-rst/1733.html
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline T79

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Alpha Lipoic Acid for Neuropathy???
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 12:17:11 am »
Hello,

I've been using ALA for quite a while, and I certainly believe that it helped me with the neuropathy. However within the last 6 months or so, it seems to be creeping up on me again.

Did you check out this thread :

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=1729.0 Within that thread is probably another link about ALA, so click on that also.

Take care-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline ZCorker

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 06:20:40 pm »
  Alpha Lipoic Acid is supposed to be good for blood sugar problems, but I am not sure if it helps hiv related neuropathy.   The drug D4T causes nerves to physically separate from muscle tissue causing a permanent loss of sensation and eventually mobility problems.  DDI and 3TC due this as well.

Below is an article about research at John Hopkins.  The article has demonstrated that nerves can be regenerated and as a result, this article has nothing less than profound implications for hiv patients.

-----------------------------------------------------------

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0606210157jun21,1,802485.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

From Chicago News Tribune

Stem cells, chemicals used to help repair paralysis in rats

Published June 21, 2006

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Scientists have used stem cells and nerve-friendly chemicals to regrow the circuitry needed to move a muscle, helping partially paralyzed rats walk.

Years of additional research is needed before such an experiment could be attempted in people.

But the work marks a new step in stem cell research that promises to one day help repair damage from nerve-destroying illnesses such as Lou Gehrig's disease, or from spinal cord injuries.

"This is an important first step, but it really is a first step, a proof of principle that ... you can rewire part of the nervous system," said Dr. Douglas Kerr, a neurologist at Johns Hopkins University who led the work being published Monday in the journal Annals of Neurology.

The new research details a complex recipe of growth factors and other chemicals that entice the delicate cells to form correctly and make the right connections.

The experiment essentially replaces motor neurons--specialized nerve cells for movement--that have died to make a new circuit that grows neuronal connections out of the spinal cord and down to a leg muscle

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 03:56:35 pm »
took this for over a year. I have no idea if it does or did anything. The only good thing about it is its cheap.

Offline Smoothstone

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 10:36:09 pm »
ALA , 200 mg twice daily and acetyl L-carnitine 2000mg twice daily have helped my peripheral neuropathy. I experimented with it after reading an article stating this combination helped.It took a couple months to notice a difference. A nice surprise after hearing that my D4t,DDI induced peripheral neuropathy did "permanent damage". I don't remember how I arrived at the dosages...can't find the article...but its been over a year now...I still have some peripheral neuropathy with noticeable numbness in some toes, but the tingling while walking reduced noticeably. 

Offline Smoothstone

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 10:39:34 pm »
Correction:  I take 200mg ALA and 1000mg acetyl L-Carnitine both twice daily. I erred in the previous report of the acetyl L-Carnitine dosage.

Offline dgls44

!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 10:52:49 pm »
~
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 01:16:54 am by dgls44 »

Offline J.R.E.

Re: How is it working?
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 12:33:58 pm »

I am currently doing Alpha Lipoic Acid at 200mg 3 x a day and will start Acetyl- L-Carnitine 1000mg 2 x a day.
I know each person has different results with different treatments for neuropathy, but I would only attempt those that are also being done also via government clinical trials.

Best Always

Douglas

Hi doug,

I take the Acetyl-L-carnitine and Alpha-Lipoic Acid. Have for quite a while. Mine is combined in one pill...

Acetyl-L-Carnitine---500mg

Alpha Lipoic Acid----150 mg

I take two of these a day, along with COQ-10 ( 150mg-once a day)

I  had developed neuropathy 5 months or so starting into the start of meds, back in October of 2003. Lets put it this way, I still do not need any pain medication for the neuropathy at this point.

Good luck, hope you get some good results-------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline dgls44

!
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 07:45:30 pm »
~
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 01:16:19 am by dgls44 »

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 08:38:45 pm »
Maybe by next time this year my feet won't feel like I just pulled them out of the freezer.

Best Always
Douglas

Believe me I understand !!

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.