Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2018, 09:01:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 33480
  • Latest: Why1985
Stats
  • Total Posts: 735656
  • Total Topics: 60795
  • Online Today: 303
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 253
Total: 257

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Low CD4 count and cold/flu  (Read 1317 times)

Offline LeftyBowler300

Low CD4 count and cold/flu
« on: October 11, 2017, 11:32:04 am »
Im at work and I cant help but notice everyone around me is coughing, congested, and feeling awful. (I wish theyd stay home)

Im nervous that I will catch whatever they have, and because of my CD4 count, it will be amplified.

I have yet to get a flu shot.

I was wondering what I could expect out of a cold/flu at a CD4 count at just over 50... is it staying home and drinking tons of fluids like everyone else, or is it a trip to the ER?

Apr 1, 2017 DX - CD4 8 , VL 820,000
OI's: Disseminated Histoplasmosis, Thrush, PCP
Apr 17, 2017 started Genvoya, Bactrim, Sporanox, Azitrhomycin
Jun 9, 2017 - CD4 42 (3%) , VL 100
Jul 17, 2017 - CD4 57 (4%) , VL 53
Sep 16, 2017 - CD4 57 (4%) , VL 130 - Ugh... wtf
Oct 20, 2017 - CD4 63 (5%) , VL 100
Dec 1, 2017 - CD4 56 (3%) , VL <20
Mar 15, 2018 - CD4 73 (5%) , VL <20
Challenge Accepted.

Online JimDublin

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Low CD4 count and cold/flu
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 11:39:41 am »
Hi

Look flu can be a really serious concern no denying that,  however it does not mean that it will be an issue.  I had flu when I had less than 75 CD4's and it was like any-other flu.

So if you are unlucky and catch the flu keep a close eye on yourself, speak to your doctor if you get concerned.

To be honest if they are at work sneezing its more than likely a cold or man-flu and  not real flu. True flu comes and parks you in bed.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 12:52:36 pm »
Hey Lefty,

I spent the better part of the last 5 weeks at home with a virus i just couldn`t shift - felt like the preamble to flu but never put me completely under.Felt miserable with a veritable non stop niagara of sinus flow and body ache.Thought much the same as you,that i was immunocompromised and that was the reason for my inability to shift the dam thing. Had to see my GP(doctor that dx`d me) for another reason and explained what the last 5 weeks had been like and asked him said question - he said i was not immunocompromised;once the virus is undetectable,i can expect to fight these things off as any HIV negative person.

I guess all you can do is live as healthy a life as possible - food,exercise and sleep and not sweat the flu stuff.

Hope all well otherwise ? P.
Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
Genvoya

Offline InRecovery

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 06:55:18 pm »
I don't know where you live, but here in the deep south, everyone is coughing and sneezing non-stop from seasonal allergies. Ragweed and goldenrod are in full bloom. This isn't contagious, of course. Since I've never had allergies, I don't have to worry about it. It's getting a little easier for people with asthma because it hasn't been as hot, even though we have seen a few 90-degree days lately. There was an intestinal virus going around at one school, but that kind of nasty stuff doesn't really take hold in our area until Christmas.

Offline kentfrat1783

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 07:46:14 pm »
I'm with you.  I'm worried how low my CD4 count is and it doesn't help that my ID doctor is just as worried.

I know I get the "man" flew and I'm a baby but at least my PCP and ID doctor is just as concerned about my numbers. 

I still need to get my flu shot and hope my first flu season won't be too bad. 

Lets hope things are better then I expect.  Wishing you the best as well.
08/28/2018 - CD4 166 (15%)  VL - <20
05/08/2018 - CD4 106 (11%)  VL - <20
03/05/2018 - CD4   90 (10%)  VL - <20
12/11/2017 - CD4   60 (  8%)  VL - The hospital forgot to run
09/07/2017 - CD4   42 (  6%)  VL  54        (1.70)
05/11/2017 - CD4     2 (  1%)  VL 169,969 (5.23)
OI's: PCP
Dx`d May 11, 2017

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 12:40:44 am »
       ojo       hello my dear friend lefty, go and get your flu shot, and do not worry about catching a cold or the flu. i lived with aids for five years, zero cd4, i got the flu and i was treated for it, i'm still here...we just have to worry about OPs, like PCP, MAC, CMV, which , you are takin prophilaxis for those infections, i'm not sure if you are on VALCYTE to prevent CMV, although i think you are UD, so your immune system can fight any other infection, like flu, colds, bacterial pneumonia, etc, etc...i'm not a doctor, just sharing what i went though all this 23 years...please relax my leftu friend,,,you will be fine...hugs "blocker" friend, hahahah

Offline pozguy909

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 02:46:40 pm »
I was concered about this as well, so thanks guys for responding to this post!
Dx - 8/8/17
1st test - 8/10/17 - VL 337000 CD4 27
8/18/17 - Vl 277000 CD4 17 Started Genvoya, Bactrim and zithomax
9/27/17 - VL 240 CD4 108

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2018 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.