Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 10:58:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 31872
  • Latest: Bwolv
Stats
  • Total Posts: 722737
  • Total Topics: 58739
  • Online Today: 333
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 AM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Newly diagnosed and job hunting  (Read 1883 times)

Offline filopoz

Newly diagnosed and job hunting
« on: September 07, 2017, 05:48:53 AM »
I just found out that I am HIV positive 2 weeks ago. I have started treatment immediately at the advice of my doctor and so far there is no side effect. I am job hunting now after completing my postgrad. As an Engineer, I might work in an industrial setting so I am worried if I can do the job given my condition. Is there anyone here who is HIV positive and yet work in a field or any work that requires physical effort?

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Newly diagnosed and job hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 05:53:54 AM »
I used to work as a plumber and before that as a chef before finding myself in the office.

I am sure we have a few members who currently are in physical demanding jobs. HIV is not a barrier.

Jim
HIV 101 - Index & everything you need to know
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Online daveR

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 06:57:06 AM »
I work in the oil industry. Long hours in adverse conditions. Some manual work. I have no problems. Never noticed the transition from negative to positive. My biggest hiccup was the medical but I just landed a new job which didn't require an HIV test. Life is normal when you allow it to be. Just put any negative thoughts about your abilities to one side. I even spend time in a gym after a long shift sometimes. No problems.

Offline filopoz

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 06:39:00 PM »
These words give me hope and reassurance.  I was negative a year ago and diagnosed last Aug 25 (confirmatory test on Aug 29).  My CD4 is 312, %CD4 is 10 and VL of 116,624. As I traced my history, I have 2 sexual encounters in between Jan and Feb this year both with condoms (so probably a breakage) and a flu-like-symptom out of nowhere in mid-February which is weird because I rarely catch a cold, exercise regularly, sleep well that time and it's the peak of summer here in Australia. This July, I catch a cold during winter which developed into sinusitis for more than a month which is also not usual for me. Fortunately, I do test regularly at least once a year and when I get the result, that solves the mystery of my health deterioration. I am taking Genvoya since I got my confirmatory test, and voila, my sinusitis disappears without any antibiotics or any medication. I just got a job offer now and will start in October. Wish me luck guys.

Offline harleymc

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »
After diagnosis I worked for 20 years in manual/physical jobs before stopping due to a worsening back injury.
HIV shouldn't stop you from doing anything.

Offline filopoz

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 06:38:26 PM »
Thanks. My next worry now is whether they will require an HIV test as part of my pre-employment medical test. Maybe someone from Australia can shed some light based on their experience.

Offline harleymc

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 05:52:27 PM »
In Australia it is illegal to discriminate against people living with HIV, this includes in employment.

However HIV can be a problem with visas including work visas.

Offline filopoz

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 07:15:04 PM »
@Harleymyc: yeah, fortunately, I got my permanent residency here prior. Are your from Australia? Nice to meet you.

Offline harleymc

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 04:06:51 AM »
Hi filopoz, yes, I'm living in Sydney. :)

Good luck on the new job , well done!

Offline filopoz

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 04:17:27 PM »
Just an update. I have started on the new job and just a couple of days ago I got my 1st month blood test results  and my ID doctor is very happy that I got UD in just 30 days on ARV. My CD4 also increases to 530 from 312. The only thing that is not goot is my Creatinine increases above limit and my eGFR is in the border line  so I need to do a kidney retest.

Offline zach

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 08:29:23 PM »
Yes.. enough said

You were diagnosed with twice the cd4 I have right now, and thats after 7 years of living with this fucking bug

If you need to do field work, come on out, you are not alone

Dont let hiv slow you down
I set into a downward spiral
Caught an illness that was literally viral
I heard some words of wisdom the other day
And they went in one ear and out the other one

I awoke from this beatific binge
With prismatic eyes, now lite is tinged
With all the vapors that the vile humans brew
Shining through the blight of you

Online Tonny2

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 09:31:36 PM »

ojo     Congratulations, everything seems to go well, new job, grear numbers...let's hope that in your next kidneys test, everything normalizes... I will be crossing my fingers and toes for good results...best of luck...hugs                          ojo

Offline JosephP

• Keep looking FORWARD...
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 07:54:03 PM »
 :) You are doing well! And HIV is not an impediment... While I dont do heavy intense labor on a daily basis, there are times when it is required that I climb rafters to lay wire in my office building for computers.. It doesn't seem to be a problem! Keep up with Genvoya.. It is the 'cadillac' of ARVs.. I have been on it for 4 years! ;)
We are all dealing with this. And we will live long and productive lives!! AND, yes the Lord is my shepherd

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2017 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.