Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:48:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 378
Total: 378

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pill Reduction Question  (Read 8285 times)

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
Pill Reduction Question
« on: February 21, 2012, 06:22:52 pm »
Currently in addition to the meds I take daily for teh AIDS, I am also on shit to regulate the cholesterol and triglycerides because at one time a few years back they were sky-high alarming.

So now after a few years the levels have remained somewhat steady within the normal ranges, with occasional blips of elevation (nothing alarming, but just a little in the high range -- like 1 point: i.e., being 108 and the normal range is 100 - 107) but then at next labs, things are back to normal.  I haven't seen the triglycerides that high since I was initially put on the pills - and I know it was because at that time I was eating a shitty diet chock full of sodium and all sorts of junk.

I was wondering if anyone who has been on these type of drugs in the past been successful in going off of them?

I have my quarterly labs coming up on Friday and I was seriously thinking about asking if I could go off the Crestor and Trilipix and just stay on Lovaza.

I re-adjusted my entire eating habits so it's not like I eat unhealthy any more and I'm honestly having feelings that I'm only on these drugs just because, if that makes any sense?  You know, there was a need for them at one time but somehow the doc seems to think that it's a lifetime commitment now in order for things to remain under control and is hesitant about making any drastic changes, like me ceasing them altogether.

Any input would be appreciated.

don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: Pill Reduction Question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 06:45:09 pm »
I dunno what advice I could really give you here, but, I've been on lipids for the last 12 yrs. they are somewhat high, but not anything I need to worry about ( so says my ID-Doctor)

but my nephrologist ( kidney doctor) keeps telling me that, if your ID Doc would just get rid of your Aptivus, you probably wouldn't need to be on any lipids, but my ID-doc disagrees with THIS due to me still being UD for the last 7 yrs.

it's actually kinda funny & sad as I'm still in the middle of this argument for the last 3 yrs. with both doctors, and I really don't think it will EVER be resolved, my ID-doc tells me that "I'm keeping you on these so you won't have a stroke or heart attack" and that you will be on these until I say other-wise"

the nephrologist  isn't looking @ the big picture like I'm doing, all they see is your kidneys and nothing else, and I can tell you that they don't know everything....

and so the saga continues  on  ::)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 02:22:03 am »

I was wondering if anyone who has been on these type of drugs in the past been successful in going off of them?

I would be curious to know the same thing myself.  The nutritionist, at the VA, told me it was very possible  (after closely examining my health records ) that I may be able to drop the Hydrochlorothiazide, , and possibly the Simvastatin, somewhere down the road.
I would really like to do that. 

I only take the BP and the cholesterol medication , 5 days a week off two.

Ray
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:25:02 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 03:40:46 pm »
Similar situation to you .I had my Statins dosage reduced due to side effect,s and they had helped bring the numbers down, that was fine , then we cut out one off them [ sorry cannot remember which ] and the numbers increased  after three months so I was back on both.

Until reading your post I had assumed statins once started where for life , and now I am asking why??

mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 04:00:05 pm »
I also tried for years to get my lipids under control.  Different medications and such.  Even after being on Pravastatin for 3 years, I didn't see much improvement.  I radically changed my diet and achieved awesome numbers.

I discontinued the statin in December and haven't had a retest yet.  I'll let you know if there was any change due to discontinuing the statin, but it'll be another month before that.  I also phased out my metropolol.  Now I'm just down to my AIDS meds.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 04:02:40 pm »
I was able to get off statins once my combo switched from Kaletra/trizivir to Isentress/Truvada.  The Kaletra had the cholesterol through the roof.  Six months off, it returned to normal.

So yes, I was able to get off, but was on them, obviously, because of other meds.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 04:14:11 pm »

So yes, I was able to get off, but was on them, obviously, because of other meds.

Yeah, this has been my problem for the last 12 yrs. it's my meds, it certainly isn't my diet
I'm only 188lbs and I eat right and all that, work out 4 to 5 times a week  :-\

kidney doctors tells me to loose the Auptivs, and then you could get rid of the Tricor &  Pravastatin
and maybe even the Quinapril...........but my ID-Doc isn't buying any of this  :-\
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 08:03:27 pm »
Thanks everybody for your advice and insight.

I think what I'm gonna do is mention that I want to go off the Crestor and Trilipix on Friday to see what type of reaction I get.  Do the bloodwork/labs.

Pick up my new 'scripts, as I'm due for refills.  Stop taking the Crestor and Trilipix, if I'm met with resistance -- and then when I go back for labs in 3 or so months, we'll see how the lipids are with just the Lovaza.

I'm all for lessening the number of pills I take daily -- and I really do not believe that once on statins, always on them - and periodically things need to be re-evaluated, just like if it were necessary to consider a new regimen of ARVs.

Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 08:22:14 pm »
I was on the BP medication Lotrel for over 5 years but was taken off of it as a precaution when I developed Bell's Palsy last year (after previously having it 30 years ago).  The doctor said that although he had seen women over 60 mostly affected with the facial palsy when taking Lotrel, there were a few men.  I am on Atenelol now.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:24:30 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 01:49:05 pm »
Fast update: I went in Friday morning and basically told the doc that I wanted to discontinue the Trilipix and Crestor, and only remain on the Lovaza - but phrased it in a semi question so she'd think that I was asking her advice.  We have a great relationship and I know how to work her.

She had no problem with it, as I told her we'd see one another in a few months to follow up with the results from my labs (as I was having them done) so we'd see if taking only the Lovaza was keeping things in check.

Of course the fucking nurse blew my vein and had to keep jiggling the needle because I absolutely refused to let her stick me again.

It was awful: as she was filling up the 3rd of many vials my arm started puffing up at the site of the stick, but she managed to finish and as soon as she withdrew the needle, it was as if it never happened  :o

Mark, I know you're having a time of it with your lipids so I feel shitty bitching and whining about trying to get off extra pills if I really don't have to take them  :-[  My heart goes out to you.

Past regimens

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 08:22:41 pm »
Mark, I know you're having a time of it with your lipids so I feel shitty bitching and whining about trying to get off extra pills if I really don't have to take them  :-[  My heart goes out to you.

No reason to feel badly, these things happen.

I was thinking about the statins while reading this. I have tried several of them, all with the same result, very elevated CPKs with corresponding aching, cramping and weakness. The weakness is the worst. Had trouble walking and getting around. It even happened when I tried red yeast rice. Apparently, it contains a natural statin.

Anyway, not to veer off target here, keep us posted on how your next set of labs turns out. Hope you can ditch the statins, etc., permanently.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline deibster

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 09:06:47 pm »
Solo, you haven't mention if you take any 'good' lipids. I take capsules of flaxseed oil and burpless fish oil every day. I also eat some avocado most days (the fruit, not a dip with added fat).
I take pravastatin & Fenofibrate(for triglycerides). I'm curious, do you object to the pills or do you have to pay for them out of pocket? In MA ADAP pays for all of my prescription copayments, not limited to hiv drug copayments. My pension plan pays for my Medicare Part D (drug) plan. Hugs, Deiby
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:08:56 pm by deibster »
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 02:17:51 am »
Solo, you haven't mention if you take any 'good' lipids. I take capsules of flaxseed oil and burpless fish oil every day. I also eat some avocado most days (the fruit, not a dip with added fat).
I take pravastatin & Fenofibrate(for triglycerides). I'm curious, do you object to the pills or do you have to pay for them out of pocket? In MA ADAP pays for all of my prescription copayments, not limited to hiv drug copayments. My pension plan pays for my Medicare Part D (drug) plan. Hugs, Deiby

Lovaza =  prescription only omega-3 (fish oil capsules)

To answer your question, I just have never been of the mindset that just because I had sky high lipids at one time means that I have to be on meds to control them for the rest of my life.  Sure I am quite aware that the ARVs can cause levels to be elevated, but at the particular time that I had off the chart triglycerides, it was because I was eating a horrible diet. I modified my diet, exercise - and don't even think about eating bad foods - so I know that I'm doing all I can to keep things under control.

And yes, I have co-pays for each of the statins, as they are all brand names.  I'm not worried about the cost, I just would like to lessen the number of pills that I take daily, especially if they are not necessary to continue to take them.  My cholesterol and triglycerides haven't been anywhere near the point they were when I was started on them -- and the levels have been consistently normal for quite some time now.  I just know that if I hadn't brought up the subject to my doc, I would still be taking them.

I go back the first week of April to get the results from the last labs, so I'll see what the levels are then and plan to keep them under close watch.  And when the time comes, if I have to resume taking them, I will  ;)  And thanks for chiming in, Deiby.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 02:24:15 am by Solo_LTSurvivor »

Past regimens

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 02:15:54 pm »
The results are in for the first set of labs after reducing pill regimen (for Philicia  ;) )

Last labs collected in November (while still on Crestor, Trilipix and Lovaza)

Triglycerides: 166
Total Cholesterol: 165
HDL: 62
LDL: 70

CD4: 818/21%   UD VL

Labs collected at end of Feb (Lovaza only)

Triglycerides: 55
Total Cholesterol: 140
HDL: 68
LDL: 61

CD4: 964/22%   UD VL

Past regimens

Offline deibster

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 01:48:51 pm »
So, you're doing well on less medication; your chol & triglyceride levels are much better than mine, with all the meds I take for them. I hope that the levels stay normal.  ;)
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 08:16:02 pm »
The results are in for the first set of labs after reducing pill regimen (for Philicia  ;) )

Last labs collected in November (while still on Crestor, Trilipix and Lovaza)

Triglycerides: 166
Total Cholesterol: 165
HDL: 62
LDL: 70

CD4: 818/21%   UD VL

Labs collected at end of Feb (Lovaza only)

Triglycerides: 55
Total Cholesterol: 140
HDL: 68
LDL: 61

CD4: 964/22%   UD VL

Well, those numbers are wonderful!

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.