Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:13:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 228
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Scientology is not a Cult  (Read 16004 times)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Scientology is not a Cult
« on: May 20, 2008, 04:46:11 pm »
Well it is, but apparently you can't say that in Britain. From the Guardian online:

A teenager is facing prosecution for using the word "cult" to describe the Church of Scientology.

The unnamed 15-year-old was served the summons by City of London police when he took part in a peaceful demonstration opposite the London headquarters of the controversial religion.

Officers confiscated a placard with the word "cult" on it from the youth, who is under 18, and a case file has been sent to the Crown Prosecution Service.

A date has not yet been set for him to appear in court.

(source)

MtD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: Scientology is not a Cult
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 04:51:49 pm »
They are all cults.  Every last one of them.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline scud44

• I am watching you
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 06:17:00 pm »
A "cult" as defined in the Oxford Dictionary is "..a system of religious worship; devotion, homage, to person or thing"
I think he will walk free and the British Police have got it wrong

Regards
Scuddles
CD4 = 110 - 30 July 2007 - 10%
VL = 139000 - 30 July 2007
CD4 = 252 - 6th August 2007
VL = 16400 - 23rd August 2007
CD4 = 240 - 23rd August 2007
VL = 400 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 96 - 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 120 18th Sept 2007
VL = 386000 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 160 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 110 10th Jan 2008
CD4 = 311 29th Jan 2008
VL = <50 29th Jan 2008
CD4 = 148 2nd April 2008
VL = 110,000 2nd April 2008
June 2010 and nothing has improved

Offline chm02

• id est
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 08:23:39 pm »
Somebody should get right back out there with a sign that says "CLUT".

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 10:11:33 pm »
Just another example of a world gone mad.

Hugs
Jan >:( :'(
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 11:54:54 pm »
Of course it's NOT a cult.. it's a marketing campaign aims at selling equipment (i.e. E-meter) and subscription based on ideas taken from sci-fi novels written by a pedophile. For followers of cults you can call them religious or spiritual, if you want to be polite, for followers of scientology you can just call them stupid, if you want to be polite.. ;D
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 12:57:23 am »
I don't get it.  Was this kid arrested because he was carrying a placard with the word "cult" on it?  Because he was in a peaceful demonstration?  Don't you people have freedom of speech over there in Great Britian?  What gives?

robert

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 01:01:20 am »
From the article:

Writing on an anti-Scientology website, the teenager facing court said: "I brought a sign to the May 10th protest that said: 'Scientology is not a religion, it is a dangerous cult.'

"'Within five minutes of arriving I was told by a member of the police that I was not allowed to use that word, and that the final decision would be made by the inspector."

A policewoman later read him section five of the Public Order Act and "strongly advised" him to remove the sign. The section prohibits signs which have representations or words which are threatening, abusive or insulting.

The teenager refused to back down, quoting a 1984 high court ruling from Mr Justice Latey, in which he described the Church of Scientology as a "cult" which was "corrupt, sinister and dangerous".

After the exchange, a policewoman handed him a court summons and removed his sign.

MtD

/emphasis added by Matty the Damned/

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 02:04:18 am »
"A policewoman later read him section five of the Public Order Act and "strongly advised" him to remove the sign. The section prohibits signs which have representations or words which are threatening, abusive or insulting."

This is unbelievable.  Is this Tony Blair's doing?

PRaise the lord for the Dutch.  They're not going to let anyone tell them what they can and cannot say, much less draw.

robert

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 03:16:46 am »
UK members would know more, but as I understand it there has been a legislative trend in Britain to prohibit various forms of expression that would offend the religious beliefs of others.

This is as I understand it, I may yet stand corrected here.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 05:56:11 am »
UK members would know more, but as I understand it there has been a legislative trend in Britain to prohibit various forms of expression that would offend the religious beliefs of others.

This is as I understand it, I may yet stand corrected here.

MtD

Yep, that's right. It was brought in in the wake of 9/11 to stop incitement to hate all things Islamic.

This Scientology thing smacks of political correctness gone absolutely bat-shit insane. Hopefully, common sense will prevail and the kid will be let off. I don't remember the legislation banning the word cult.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 08:27:37 am »
Somebody should get right back out there with a sign that says "CLUT".

We'd get along famously.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 11:10:50 am »
i suspect t his has more to do with some members of the city of london police being rather, er...friendly with the church of scientology than anything else - they've held similar demos elsewqhere with no such applicationof the public order act

amazing waste of money n time, whatever th e reason
kate

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 11:34:01 am »

PRaise the lord for the Dutch.  They're not going to let anyone tell them what they can and cannot say, much less draw.

robert

The Danish seems these days to have more freedom of speech than the Dutch.

Offline BubbaPat

• Bubba hugs!
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 12:08:57 pm »
It is in MY opinion that this child should and shall walk free.  It is also MY opinion that Scientology is a religion and like all religions, it is a simple idea that has been changed and modified by people and somehow got screwed up.  I don't really agree with Hubbard's original Dianetics but it did have a few good ideas.

I know... it may seem horrible for some but here is a quote from Jesse Venture.  Look him up on Wikipedia.  I think most will find this interesting.

In a Playboy interview, he said:
"Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers. It tells people to go out and stick their noses in other people's business."

In his 1999 best-selling memoir I Ain't Got Time to Bleed, Ventura responded to the controversy sparked by these remarks by elaborating on his views concerning religion: "I’d like to clarify [my comments published in Playboy] about religious people being weak-minded. I didn’t mean all religious people. I don’t have any problem with the vast majority of religious folks. I count myself among them, more or less. But I believe because it makes sense to me, not because I think it can be proven. There are lots of people out there who think they know the truth about God and religion, but does anybody really know for sure? That’s why the founding fathers built freedom of religious belief into the structure of this nation, so that everybody could make up their minds for themselves. But I do have a problem with the people who think they have some right to try to impose their beliefs on others. I hate what the fundamentalist fanatics are doing to our country. It seems as though, if everybody doesn’t accept their version of reality, that somehow invalidates it for them. Everybody must believe the same things they do. That’s what I find weak and destructive."[26]

Bubba hugs!
Patrick

And yes... I was raised a good Southern Baptist and yes, I think they've all gone crazy.  Now I simply BELIEVE.  GO STARS!!!
Bubba hugs!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 05:29:06 pm »
"The way to make a million dollars is to start a religion."

-- Attributed to L. Ron Hubbard.

Sez Bubba Pat:

I don't really agree with Hubbard's original Dianetics but it did have a few good ideas.

So Bubba, which ideas from Hubbard's Dianetics are the good ones?

MtD

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 11:02:06 pm »
"The way to make a million dollars is to start a religion."

-- Attributed to L. Ron Hubbard.

Sez Bubba Pat:

I don't really agree with Hubbard's original Dianetics but it did have a few good ideas.

So Bubba, which ideas from Hubbard's Dianetics are the good ones?

MtD

Somehow coercing Tom Cruise into becoming a mouthpiece for the clut?  ::)

HUGGLES,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline chm02

• id est
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 03:25:59 am »
Scientology is no more a cult than the Catholic church. Or, the Catholic church is just as much of a cult as Scientology.
Same goes for Anglicanism, Methodism, Islam, Hinduism, et al.
The Earthlink ISP is a Scientology organization, btw. That was sufficient reason for me to quit Earthlink. Poor service, anyway.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 03:40:55 am »
They (CoS, the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptists, etc) are what we call open cults. Closed cults include operations like the Branch Davidians, the Children of God, the Exclusive Brethren and so on.

I agree with Mark (Chm) and Youth Pastor Tim that Scientology is no sillier than Catholicism or the many heads of the protestant hydra.

MtD

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 07:57:18 am »

Offline scud44

• I am watching you
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 08:56:05 am »
The London CPS obviously read my previous reply #2

Right again!!!

Regards
Scuddles
CD4 = 110 - 30 July 2007 - 10%
VL = 139000 - 30 July 2007
CD4 = 252 - 6th August 2007
VL = 16400 - 23rd August 2007
CD4 = 240 - 23rd August 2007
VL = 400 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 96 - 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 120 18th Sept 2007
VL = 386000 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 160 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 110 10th Jan 2008
CD4 = 311 29th Jan 2008
VL = <50 29th Jan 2008
CD4 = 148 2nd April 2008
VL = 110,000 2nd April 2008
June 2010 and nothing has improved

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 07:28:50 pm »
"A policewoman later read him section five of the Public Order Act and "strongly advised" him to remove the sign. The section prohibits signs which have representations or words which are threatening, abusive or insulting."

This is unbelievable.  Is this Tony Blair's doing?

Robert:

Don't you mean the Danes? Each time they republish that cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed another few men die in riots in Pakistan. I don't find it particularly funny or productive, even if it ought to remain legal to offend. Love the civil rights of NL though.

In Germany Scientology is classified as illegal. In Britain you can't say what it is. In the US I can say most anything about them as long as I can afford a good tort attorney and check my mailbox for snakes. Here  I can say "Tom Cruise is gay" and be wrong, but still not be committing libel. In the UK that would be libel unless I had photos of he and I engaged in the nasty. Oh but I couldn't immigrate here if I was an anarchist or communist (homosexual was on that list) and pretty unlikely with HIV. In the US we worry about nudity more than graphic violence. A few years back a museum director was tried (and acquitted by a jury) for exhibiting erotic and racially/sexually charged photos by Robert Maplethorpe In Germany it's long been the opposite. Censorship is everywhere, not all governmental (lots is corporate and "progressive"), just plenty more in some places than others. These examples all come from democracies of various sorts. Pity the rest of the world. Liberty is relative. Exercise your rights or they disappear. 

8) -megasept

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 07:30:34 pm by megasept »

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 07:35:50 pm »
   Well maybe it isn't a cult. But it sure as fuck ain't a religion either!!

CaptCarl (who has not been around much lately, but would like to compliment Thunter on his tits 8))
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 07:43:45 pm »
   Well maybe it isn't a cult. But it sure as fuck ain't a religion either!!

CaptCarl (who has not been around much lately, but would like to compliment Thunter on his tits 8))

I think there is a cult that has scientifically advanced in the care of tits..err..so I've heard...maybe joined...is a fetish considered a cult or religion?
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 07:53:53 pm »
   Upon reviewing my previous post, I realize that a bit of elaboration is in order... Scientology may be a "religion" now but it was not always that way. L. Ron Hubbard wrote science fiction in the fifties. When he wrote a sci-fi novel that sold well, he was a bit upset about the taxes he had to pay on the not inconsiderable amount of money he made. So in the spirit of legal tax-evasion, he re-wrote the book a bit (which became Dianetics) and claimed it to be a religious text. He founded Scientology specifically so that he wouldn't have to pay income taxes, and in founding this  "religion" realized he was making more money than he ever dreamed possible. At one point the Feds were investigating him for some form of malfeasance, and he suddenly died unexpectedly, this was I believe, in the mid to late sixties. He came back to life sometime later, after the danger of prosecution had passed. The he died again later in life, this time apparently, for real. If this makes it a "real religion" then so be it. Though I'd hate to see a fake religion in comparison.

Capt Carl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline Robert

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 10:10:27 pm »
Megasept.

I guess I do mean the Danes.  Grasshopper corrected me also.  I need to brush up on my European History.

I'm a firm believer in freedom of expression.  Censorship really rubs me the wrong way.  I never realized the Continent was so conflicted with it.  I guess it makes a big difference how you look at it when you're so close to the consequences.  No doubt, with the US being somewhat sequestered in another hemisphere we're really somewhat immune from any immediate, possibly fatal, after effects.  I guess that might make us somewhat detached in our beliefs which is not necessarily good.  It's so easy to forget, or,  even worse, to not even care,  that what we might say or believe over here could have a fatal affects in other parts of the world.  Still,  am I to censor myself for what might happen in another part of the world?

In any case, it's absurd that in England you can go to jail for calling Scientology a cult.  That is scary.

robert

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2008, 05:57:14 pm »
Megasept.

I guess I do mean the Danes.  Grasshopper corrected me also.  I need to brush up on my European History.

I'm a firm believer in freedom of expression.  Censorship really rubs me the wrong way.  Still,  am I to censor myself for what might happen in another part of the world?

In any case, it's absurd that in England you can go to jail for calling Scientology a cult.  That is scary.

robert

Robert: I could also do with studying European history (Better on current events). And let's not forget what Miss So Carolina has taught us about the importance of maps!

Global connections mean global results from reported (some false, some true) speech---consequences are frequent. The US soldier recently shipped home (and spanked) from Iraq for shooting up a copy of the Koran knew exactly what he was up to---provocation. I wonder if he knows the differences between a Sunni and a Shia better than would-be President John McCaine. US Commanders did what they could to clean up the mess, with mea culpas. They handed a new copy of the Koran to some Iman or something (My Sunni Muslim friend taught me non-believers---like me---aren't supposed to touch a Koran (like his. lol), ever, especially when dusting in the bedroom. But I bet the Iraqis were gracious about it). Symbolism is more important than ever, a sad commentary on human development. Educate more girls everywhere is about the only answer that comes to mind.

No one's going to jail for this one in the UK. Stupid laws aren't always enforced anyway. Does point up the non-existence of a Bill of Rights.

Great discussion by everyone, and no one got all bent out of shape. That's cool too.  8) -megasept
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 06:02:48 pm by megasept »

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
oops
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2008, 05:58:26 pm »
some moderator kindly delete this stupid dual post by me. ooops
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 06:00:29 pm by megasept »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 06:05:03 pm »
The UK does have a Bill of Rights, it took effect in 1688 as the central part of the Glorious Revolution which saw James II ousted from the throne in favour of William and Mary of Orange.

But it's not a Bill of Rights in the sense that Americans would understand it. Rather the Bill of Rights from 1688 entrenches the right of Parliament to be protected from tyranny of and interference by the Crown. In particular, it establishes the notion of Parliamentary Privilege. Article 9, I believe.

The provisions of the Bill of Rights 1688 extend to pretty much wherever there is a Westminster style democracy. It forms an important part of Australian law, for example.

MtD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2008, 06:11:42 pm »
(My Sunni Muslim friend taught me non-believers---like me---aren't supposed to touch a Koran (like his. lol), ever, especially when dusting in the bedroom. But I bet the Iraqis were gracious about it).

So how the fuck is anybody supposed to ever know if he or she (scratch that.  i guess just "he" since the "she's" apparently don't count for much over there) does believe it if you can't even touch the stupid book to read it and find out?

Apologies if I come off as testy, but I'm feeing particularly fed up with he stupidity of religion at the moment. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline chm02

• id est
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2008, 08:07:30 pm »
So how the fuck is anybody supposed to ever know if he or she (scratch that.  i guess just "he" since the "she's" apparently don't count for much over there) does believe it if you can't even touch the stupid book to read it and find out?
Because the injunction does not come from the Koran, but rather from the Sharia, which is the body of rules and interpretations created by the clerics and Islamic scholars. Much like the difference between the Jewish Torah and Talmud.
Much of the Sharia cannot be directly referenced to the Koran, but is the work of religious scholars interpretations over the ages.
Christianity is too fragmented to have a single body of interpretive work, but it's comparable to the Bible vs. Catholic dogma.  Nowhere in the Bible does it speak of things like purgatory ("limbo") or intercessional prayer, but these ideas have been "figured out" by the church over the years.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2008, 08:09:53 pm »
I was raised a roman catholic and I remember the bible being an important, but secondary theological source. Of much greater significance to catholics is the Catechism.

Bible study was considered to be a quaint pastime engaged in by protestants, evangelicals and other heretics.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2008, 08:33:13 pm »
Nowhere in the Bible does it speak of things like purgatory ("limbo") or intercessional prayer, but these ideas have been "figured out" by the church over the years.

Is that "figured out" as in "made up as they went along"? Just askin. :)

Reminds me a bit of Old Mother Hubbard.

Just sayin. :)

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline chm02

• id est
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2008, 08:46:25 pm »

Well, yes. That's why i put it in quotes. The point is that much of the laws, rules and regulations supposedly proscibed by the holy texts do not exist in those texts at all, but are derivative products created by the "experts".

(My dad's) definition of an expert:  Some asshole from out of town.

LOL

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2008, 08:50:26 pm »
Well, yes. That's why i put it in quotes. The point is that much of the laws, rules and regulations supposedly proscibed by the holy texts do not exist in those texts at all, but are derivative products created by the "experts".

(My dad's) definition of an expert:  Some asshole from out of town.

LOL

Really?  :o

Get away...

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline chm02

• id est
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2008, 08:54:35 pm »
Really?  :o

Get away...

It's true! My Dad used language like that all the time. Much to the disappointment of my Mom, and the delight of my brothers and myself.
;)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2008, 09:16:47 pm »

Just checked back on this thread...and Ann totally beat me to it.  That's exactly what came to mind. 

Thanks for the explanation, chm02.  I get it.  Well...as much as I ever will, I suppose.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2008, 09:22:03 pm »
Purgatory is not the same as limbo. Limbo has since been abolished as doctrine.

Purgatory is a place where people who die with venial (minor) sins on their record go. According to the Micks, you spend extended time in purgatory (suffering to an appropriate degree) until your soul is purified and you can ascend to heaven. Those stained with mortal sin go straight to hell.

Limbo was an in between place where unbaptised babies and righteous heathens (ie good people who lived prior to the time of Christ) were sent for eternity. It was pretty good, but not as a good as heaven. Limbo was abolished and now catholics believe that "holy innocents" as they call 'em just go to heaven.

Mark is right when he says there is no biblical basis for any of this.

MtD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2008, 09:26:48 pm »
LOL.  Hell divided up for misdemeanors and felonies.  Gotta love it. 

PS:  Once Limbo was abolished as a doctrine, what became of all the souls that were supposed to be there?  Were they transferred to other facilities, so to speak?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 09:28:29 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline chm02

• id est
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2008, 09:29:54 pm »
Thanks for the info on imaginary places, matty.
The "Micks"?
In the U.S., at least, this has been a derogatory slur against the Irish, on the same level as calling Jews "Kikes" or Italians "Waps".
Don't quite know who you were referring to , though.

- Mark CONNELY

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2008, 09:31:46 pm »
It means Irish catholic here too except it's not derogatory.

MtD
(Whose clan name is Ryan)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2008, 09:35:04 pm »
I didn't know either.  Jagger?  Fleetwood?  Who?

Gotcha. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline chm02

• id est
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2008, 09:38:15 pm »
It means Irish catholic here too except it's not derogatory.

I just LOVE this answer! I mean, I totally believe you, but it's like saying, "Well, where I come from, 'fuck you' is a compliment"

LMAO!
:D

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2008, 09:39:24 pm »
Well in Australia "fuck you" can be a compliment. So I'm not sure I see the point.

I guess it's a cultural thing. :)

MtD

Offline chm02

• id est
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2008, 09:43:03 pm »
Everything really is upside down there isn't it?
So, you are actually Matty the Blessed?
;)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2008, 10:15:43 pm »
No. But I can see how a Mick would find it confusing. ;)

MtD

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2008, 11:46:24 am »
"Scientology is evil; its techniques are evil; its practice is a serious threat to the community, medically, morally, and socially; and its adherents are sadly deluded and often mentally ill... (Scientology is) the world's largest organization of unqualified persons engaged in the practice of dangerous techniques which masquerade as mental therapy."
--Justice Anderson, Supreme Court of Victoria, Australia

"The government is satisfied that Scientology is socially harmful. It alienates members of families from each other and attributes squalid and disgraceful motives to all who oppose it; its authoritarian principles and practice are a potential menace to the personality and well being of those so deluded as to become followers; above all, its methods can be a serious danger to the health of those who submit to them... There is no power under existing law to prohibit the practice of Scientology; but the government has concluded that it is so objectionable that it would be right to take all steps within its power to curb its growth."
--Kenneth Robinson, British Minister of Health
 ----------------------------------------------------------

A couple of things I came across................just thought I'd share it with the group here!

"We thought Scientology was something like Dale Carnegie. I now believe it's a school for psychopaths. Their so-called therapies are manipulations. They take the best and the brightest people and destroy them." - Edward Lottick, father of suicide victim Noah Lottick
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 11:49:47 am by david25luvit »
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2008, 12:07:48 pm »
:o
"Scientology is evil; its techniques are evil; its practice is a serious threat to the community, medically, morally, and socially; and its adherents are sadly deluded and often mentally ill... (Scientology is) the world's largest organization of unqualified persons engaged in the practice of dangerous techniques which masquerade as mental therapy."
--Justice Anderson, Supreme Court of Victoria, Australia

"The government is satisfied that Scientology is socially harmful. It alienates members of families from each other and attributes squalid and disgraceful motives to all who oppose it; its authoritarian principles and practice are a potential menace to the personality and well being of those so deluded as to become followers; above all, its methods can be a serious danger to the health of those who submit to them... There is no power under existing law to prohibit the practice of Scientology; but the government has concluded that it is so objectionable that it would be right to take all steps within its power to curb its growth."
--Kenneth Robinson, British Minister of Health
 ----------------------------------------------------------

A couple of things I came across................just thought I'd share it with the group here!

"We thought Scientology was something like Dale Carnegie. I now believe it's a school for psychopaths. Their so-called therapies are manipulations. They take the best and the brightest people and destroy them." - Edward Lottick, father of suicide victim Noah Lottick

Angels and ministers of grace, protect us!  (Don't cha just love the Bard!)

:o :o :o :o

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 12:14:31 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline MarkB

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2008, 07:50:58 pm »
Once Limbo was abolished as a doctrine, what became of all the souls that were supposed to be there?  Were they transferred to other facilities, so to speak?

As a result of the aforementioned strategic restructuring of Eternity, a personnel realignment led to them being outsourced.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2008, 08:27:25 pm »
Actually I checked the Limbo thing out with my Aunty, who is Terminally Catholic. She advises that Limbo was never an official Church dogma, rather a theological concept which individual catholics are free to accept or reject. The Church didn't "abolish" Limbo it merely "clarified" the position a few years back.

Or something.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.