Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:04:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773155
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 198
Total: 200

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Vegan and HIV  (Read 10053 times)

Offline Seigmeyer-of-Catarina

Vegan and HIV
« on: February 16, 2021, 11:38:16 pm »
Anyone vegan and HIV+? I was just diagnosed this month and was formally vegan for most of last year. The holidays came around and I totally blew it, and got off the vegan train. I really want to get back into it because I felt awesome.  Anyway, not only do I want to virtually high five any vegans here, but also would like to know if you had to make any dietary adjustments with an HIV diagnosis?

Offline Kamara

Re: Vegan and HIV
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 11:33:49 am »
Hello, Lovely to meet you virtually.I was diagnosed over 20 years ago and have been vegan for about 15 years.i was lactovegetarian from birth so even on that diet, i felt well enough. I managed to stay off medication for 10 years post diagnosis.
I must admit,I didn’t make specific changes but was trying to be more aware of including whole foods,raw foods,oil free  etc. I love my vegan unhealthy foods too but try to limit them.
I only take vit D and B12 supplements
I hope you are able to get back into it. Am happy to share other experiences if it helps.
✌🏽

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 12:17:33 pm »
@
Kamara

Welcome to the forum, as a new member can you please open an introduction thread and introduce yourself to the forum members. Thanks.

Let us know how are you doing, how the treatment is going etc.  It's standard for new members.

:)
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Kamara

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 11:08:45 pm »
Hello Jim, no problem at all. Will browse more thoroughly to find where I can do this. Thank you for the acceptance 🙏🏽

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 02:33:32 pm »
Anyone vegan and HIV+? I was just diagnosed this month and was formally vegan for most of last year. The holidays came around and I totally blew it, and got off the vegan train. I really want to get back into it because I felt awesome.  Anyway, not only do I want to virtually high five any vegans here, but also would like to know if you had to make any dietary adjustments with an HIV diagnosis?

Hi OP.

Not a vegan myself, but I think there are a good few members who follow a vegan diet and are doing well.
If you do a search on the topic I am sure you will also spot some previous threads from members and their experiences on the topic that might be useful. :)

Take it easy.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 03:14:56 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Seigmeyer-of-Catarina

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 06:03:46 pm »
Nice! Well my main motivator this go around was the health benefits to the heart. I don’t have any underlying heart problems, but my triglycerides are high, and I know with HIV, there is some evidence to suggest an increased risk for cardiovascular problems. I started back my vegan diet today, and had a vegan smoothie that was delish. I’m probably going to do a little celery juice cleanse and then in a couple of weeks will transform into an Vally girl.

Offline Kamara

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 11:50:03 pm »
Lovely to hear that. My triglycerides were high about 16 years ago when I was lactovegetarian but as soon as I turned vegan, they were normal!:) celery juice sounds great. I haven’t had it for a few years!
I am on various vegan fb groups to keep up with info. One useful one is vegan intermittent fasting group. Useful tips for everyone.:)
Good luck. ☺️

PozChilean

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 07:22:14 pm »
I’m probably going to do a little celery juice cleanse and then in a couple of weeks will transform into an Vally girl.
LOL!

I wish I had the will power to even be a vegetarian but I prefer animal sources for my proteins, iron and vitamin B 12 :(

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.