Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:44:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 379
Total: 379

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Hiv and hpv  (Read 9763 times)

Offline Donplow

• Standard
Hiv and hpv
« on: July 02, 2013, 03:51:45 pm »
Hello guys and girls
  Question I have hpv ..
Now the question I have I have seen many times..
Oral sex and recieving..
Does havin hpv increase my odds during receiving oral.. Bj?
Any wart that I have had has been the same size as papuli..

I had an encounter 6 weeks ago today and am obviously fearing the worst and have had lots of symptoms..

First week dry mouth and felt like something coming out but wasn't..
Second week same thing
I was tested at 2 and a Hal weeks for sti's came back negative all of them..
Now my fifth and sixth week I've had enlarged nodes in under my jaw and last night ha night sweats.. (I am assuming this anxiety as its all I ever do is fear this for my wife and kids sake) afraid of losing everything and hurting my family..

I also retested at 31 days I will get my results for hiv and syphillis on Thursday .. 2 week waitin period..

What's your thoughts?? Rapidrod Ann Andy?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Hiv and hpv
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 03:58:57 pm »
Getting a blow Job is not a risk for HIV and having HPV doesn't change that , its simply not a risk . There have been no fewer than three separate serodiscordant couples studies (where one person is HIV positive, the other negative.) These couples were tracked for three. five and ten years. The couples used condoms for penetrative vaginal and anal sex, but NO BARRIER at all for oral sex. Any kind of oral sex.

These studies yielded NO infections.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Donplow

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 04:04:50 pm »
Thank you !!

I've read tons of threads agreeing with that statement.. Just didnt know if an sti changes it oral sex...

Also wasn't sure if hpv was around then..
We're these studies done while positive partner was on anti viralmeds?

Thanks again ...
This is truly an awesome site..
Most of you are a lot more knowledgeable then the doctors I have spoken with on these topics...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 04:32:39 pm »
No matter what ifs you throw into the mix about receiving a blow job, it ain't gonna make a difference. It's one of the most common of sexual activities, but no guy has ever been confirmed to have been infected in that way and you are not going to make history by being the first.
Andy Velez

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 04:36:54 pm »
You are most welcome . We give out the latest peer reviewed information so people are armed with the facts . I would imagine that the study I mentioned would have been made up of people on treatment as well as some that were not . There have never been reports of HIV being transmitted from receiving oral sex . There have been a few cases where people clamed that giving BJ's was their only risk when they tested HIV poz . It was later made clear that oral sex wasn't the only risk factor and cast doubt on the claims .

In any case , no one has ever been infected from getting a BJ , so it stands to reason you wont be the first . 

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED HIV TESTING AT THIS TIME , anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Donplow

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 04:52:51 pm »
Thanks Jeff and Andy!

So no need to retest after I get my results back from 30 day test...
Correct?

Also not that it matters I've been with one and only one girl for 14 years now..
I just slipped up an got a Bj from someone when I shouldn't have...
I am assuming that's why my anxiety is so high..
Dry mouth, swollen nodes , starting to get night sweats , etc ..
Anxiety and fear can ruin ya..

But once again thank you guys for your input.. Was just confused about the whole hpv in regards to transmitting other sti..

Thanks !

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 04:58:32 pm »
There was no reason for you to test in the first place.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 05:02:25 pm »
You are going to be OK and if this is your only concern you can put it to rest because you didn't have a risk .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 05:10:08 am »
Don,

Rather than fretting about a no risk blowjob, I suggest you worry about transmitting your hpv to other people. Get your warts sorted out.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Donplow

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 10:38:12 am »
Yes i agree ann
they are figured out, i dont have any on me and have had them looked after...
also just a note just got my 4 weeks duo test p24 test back and it was negative ...

So i would think im in the clear! I hope
also just some other side notes.

this test was for syphillis too at 4 weeks  negtive
also was tested for bacteria infections at 2 weeks... negative
?
is it safe to say i am std clean???

Thanks for any ADVICE

don

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 10:46:30 am »
Don,

Sure, you can say you're "clean" - provided you just got out of the shower. I'm clean too, but I'm also hiv positive. Using the word "clean" to describe someone's health status is not only incorrect, it's also highly insulting. Don't use that term here again.

What part of "you did NOT have a risk for hiv infection" did you not understand?

You do NOT need further hiv testing. You are conclusively hiv negative.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Donplow

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 01:17:29 pm »
Ann
  I apologize if that was an insult... I did not mean that in any disrespect and I Apologize for that term...
in respects to HIV the internet is a scary place.. I will never google symptoms again as I think my mind some of them up
I had dry mouth, night sweats, Glands under my neck are still swollen, headache on and off, etc etc..
Your mind can over power your body especially if your nervous and scared.

I beleive my 4 week result and with that being said I want to say thank You..

this is a great site with alot of knowledge.. Thanks again...

I know this is an hiv forum, but alot of memebers on here are very knowledgeable about other stds.,

do you think all the other stds would be conclusive in the time matter of testing?

Thanks Again

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 01:27:40 pm »

The window period for syphilis is 3 to 6 weeks to produce antibody's for an accurate test result , that being said I wouldn't expect your 4 week test to change . 

The other std test are conclusive at 2 - 4 weeks .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Donplow

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 01:31:57 pm »
Thanks Jeff

That answers all my questions now! thank you very much for this forum!

im gonna go on tuesday for a full screening on everything again to put my mind at full eaze...

Think guilt is just killing me...

Thanks again everyone,

Don

Offline Donplow

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 08:49:34 pm »
Just a quick question ..
Not sure if this was a new thread question or not but...
What do you guys think of the accuracy of the duo test with p24 test?
Many experts says its 99.89 at 4 weeks and only gets higher until 3 month test?
Do you guys agree??

Thanks Don

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 09:59:16 pm »
Just a quick question ..
Not sure if this was a new thread question or not but...
What do you guys think of the accuracy of the duo test with p24 test?
Many experts says its 99.89 at 4 weeks and only gets higher until 3 month test?
Do you guys agree??

Thanks Don

Thanks for posting this in your original thread! Please always do that instead of starting a new thread.

Also, I an curious as to why you are testing at all over a no-risk situation. If you disbelieve the science behind HIV transmission, then how can we even discuss the science behind the testing protocol? They both rely on similar mechanism of viral entry and propagation.

The soonest we will recommend anyone test is six weeks. Three months is still the global standard. If you have found a test for your no-risk situation that falls outside that protocol, then I highly recommend you find a qualified medical practitioner to discuss it and dispense it.

Again, you have had no risk.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Donplow

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 05:11:52 am »
I was just curious for future reference....
Not so much my previous one....
There is some conflicting issues out thrre...
The healthboard forums , medhelp, and freedom health all say they agree with the accuracy of the duo test at 4 to 6 weeks, but still some nay Sayers on it...
Was just curious on this forums thought...
I'm not questioning my results or my situation ( well as much anyways)

Thanks for your reply !

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 06:40:52 am »
Don,

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days.

A six week negative is highly unlikely to change, but must be confirmed at the three month point.

I personally do not agree with sources that say the duo test is conclusive at four weeks. I have more trust in the six week test, as I've yet to see a six week negative end up positive when confirmed at three months.

The p24 antigen is only present in the first few weeks. As antibodies begin to develop, the p24 antigen begins to disappear.

It is conceivable that there could be a window period of a few days where the p24 is no longer detectable, but not enough antibodies have been formed to trigger a positive result on the antibody portion of the test.

That is why I trust a six week negative more than I trust a four week negative. A six week negative on any test in use today is unlikely to change.

We will continue to advocate confirming a six week negative at three months until the guidelines around the world change. There is only one place I know of where a six week negative is officially conclusive - Massachusetts. It is conclusive there because only the latest testing technology is permitted to be used in that state.

This is all academic or for future reference in your case, because you did NOT HAVE A RISK FOR HIV INFECTION.

If you insist on continuing to post questioning this NO RISK situation, you WILL be given that time out you've been warned about.

This is your last warning!!!!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Donplow

• Standard
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 06:56:16 am »
Thanks again Ann

I was just asking a general question about testing as there was so much different information..
As I stated before this was a question for future reference not about my past one... I believe the negligible risk and not concerned about my status...

Thank you for the clarity on this forums stānce on testing ..

Thst is all ...

Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 07:05:37 am »
Don,

Ok, I'll go along with the future reference thing. And here's what you really need to know for future reference.

You need to have regular, routine sexual health check ups. Once a year is good, twice a year is better particularly if you're very active with a range of partners. Think of it like going for a routine dental check up. It might not be the most pleasant way to spend an hour, but you do it anyway to protect your health.

Regular, routine sexual health check ups are what sexually active, responsible adults do to protect their own health and the health of their sexual partners.

Please read the following instructions and take them to heart.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Donplow

• Standard
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 09:00:32 am »
Not trying to excessively post...
But writing this for anyone who googles and concerned with recieving oral  sex
I believed that I had most of the symptoms of ars..
I worried and stressed all day everyday .,.
I just got my 8 week test back which is a duo test for p24 and antibodies and of and the heakth nurse and my foctor both saud at 4 weeks it 99.89 and st 6 weeks its 99.99 prrcent accurate so
my tests have all of course it's negative all across the board ...
2 months of extreme worry and stress for nothing..

I just want to say thank you to this forum for there support to all of us and I am truly glad I found this forum .,

Thank you

Offline Donplow

• Standard
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 09:04:04 am »
Also before I get the
"No trst is conclusive till 3 months"
I am taking the final test at 3 months just to say I did.. But like you guys already told me there is no need to test over no risk blowjob
I am going to just for absolute peace of mind and I will post the results too just for other people who google thus forum

Thanks and everyone take care

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 09:49:39 am »
Don,

So, you're over-testing for a virus that you had no chance of being infected with, but have you bothered to test for other STIs, such as gonorrhea, syphilis and herpes, which you absolutely CAN get through getting a blowjob? Are you aware that syphilis shares a three month testing window period for a conclusive negative result?

You don't need further hiv testing over this NO RISK blowjob. Don't bother posting your three month result - I can tell everyone right now, with complete confidence, that it will be yet another negative result. What a waste of time, money and resources.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Donplow

• Standard
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 10:25:52 am »
Wow Ann a but grumpy with me??

Yes I have tested for all other sti's at 2 weeks and at last test .. All trßts are negative..
As I stated before its a negligible risk situātion..
I find it funny how some forums say no risk but still abîde by all the other CDC recommendations..

It may be a waste of resources but if and when the CDC says blow jobs are absolutely no risk I will believe it...

It's also a waste if your time as I have seen many many posts by forums as such as medhelp, poz, freedomhealth, and aids Vancouver and torobto of people concerned with the same thing I am... Mainly because the CDC says it is a negligible risk .. They slso state that testing isn't conclusive till 3 months ...
But if you speak, talk to , or search many hiv doctors  they'll agree that the duo test 4th generation is is 99.99 conclusive at 6 weeks..

Ann I have read many I'd your posts and you are truly knowledgeable and I respect your advise..

I jus wanted to post the results for anyone that googles it so they have peace of mind that someone actually ousted there results at 3 minths as alor of them do not and it makes you wonder...

It may be a no risk or negligible risk but bottom line is I made a mistake and I will under no circumstance jeopardize my wife's and kids health ...
I'm sure you can respect that aspect of it...

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 10:50:06 am »
The CDC also categorizes kissing as a risk. Ann wasn't grumpy. She was tired of defending science. As are we all. Yet still we do.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Donplow

• Standard
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 11:05:44 am »
I 100 percent ! ( conclusive) respect this forum and your guys knowledge of this ..
I feel very empathetic for what you people do hear! You help and set our minds at ease while we are scared.. That's why I bought the subscription so I was paying for this service as its truly great!

I believed and trust you people when you say no risk until our minds get wondering in the middle of the night and we get anxious again.. Lol

It in all honesty I re ready hear posts and it helps me sleep and put mu mind at ease!

so once again l am truly happy with this forum and thank you so much
Ann
Andy
Jkinatl2
Jeff and
Rapidrod

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.