Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:18:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 470
Total: 470

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: BOINC - Research of HIV Proteins  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Nubbies

BOINC - Research of HIV Proteins
« on: August 16, 2015, 06:24:01 pm »
I would like to share with everyone some research that is currently taking place on the proteins of HIV. First off let me say that I am not a scientist or a researcher, but I have committed my computing resources to these projects to aid those researchers and scientists because I am HIV+. You can do this as well and it is very simple to do; all you need is your home computer. In one project I understand that they are utilizing a PlayStation 3, but I am still looking into this one. The research is happening on multiple computer platforms including Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and VirtualBox.

This has apparently been going on for a few years now, but I just learned about this a few days ago. It starts with Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing: AKA: BONIC. A program that was originally designed for SETI program founded by Carl Sagan and Frank Drake. This program is now used by researchers from a variety of fields to (and I quote from the University of Berkeley website) “use the idle time of your computer (Windows, Mac, Linux, or Android) to cure diseases [such as HIV], study global warming, discover pulsars, and many other types of scientific research. It’s safe, secure, and easy.” It caught my attention and quick!

This is where you can obtain the BOINC software and learn more about it: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/index.php

You will also receive credit or at least mentioned; even if it is anonymously, for allowing them to utilize the resources of your computer to conduct their research. Most of these studies appear to be working on full-atom molecular simulations of the HIV proteins namely the protease and reverse transcriptase.

The notable projects using BOINC software to conduct their research on HIV proteins include:

Rosetta@home being conducted by University of Washington Baker Laboratory
Their website is: http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/

Rosetta is currently conducting at least three studies on my computer at this present time and here is a graphic of one of those studies.

GPUGrid.net being conducted by University Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona, Spain
This one I am still looking into. The project shows as “active” and is the one that is utilizing a PlayStation 3. I have added it to my list in the BOINC program, but nothing is running as of yet. I just don’t have many details on this project.
Their website is: https://www.gpugrid.net/

FightAIDS@Home – World Community Grid being conducted by IBM Corporate Citizenship.
This one I have not yet added to my BOINC project list, but I am working on it.
Their website is: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/faah/overview.do

There are about 70 different projects going on out there that utilize the BOINC program and they cover a wide variety of scientific studies, but these were the ones that I noted conducting HIV protein research. So join in the research by committing your idle computing time to one or more of these projects to stop HIV in its tracks. The more people that commit to this the greater and stronger the computing grid is. So spread the word!

If you have any questions regarding the BOINC software, the projects, etc. post to this thread or send me a private message and I will be happy to share any knowledge that I have.

Offline Nubbies

Re: BOINC - Research of HIV Proteins
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 10:10:10 pm »
Just a little update here. BOINC is also available for all Android devices through the Google Play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.berkeley.boinc  ;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.