Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:11:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773209
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 546
Total: 547

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My Son is in an Alabama Prison  (Read 5728 times)

Offline graystar55

• Mother of an infected Son
My Son is in an Alabama Prison
« on: March 10, 2016, 11:45:55 am »
I hope I can find information here. My son (who was diagnosed in 1992) and been in (mostly in) prison for most of that time has been telling me the end is near. I try to be upbeat, but he is serious. At this time, he has scabies, and in a note he send said his vl was 662,000 and cd4 count 63. I don't know what to do or think, I am broken hearted.
The place I was in 1992, when I knew this day would come. When he would get out of prison, drugs were his downfall. Stealing to feed the habit his crime.
He will be up for parole in July, I finally got someone to listen to me at the prison, he has has scabies for two years. He is in isolation at the moment.
This lovely state segregated it HIV pop until 2 years ago. This put him in the population that is ignorant of the virus, so death threats were common, he was bleeding from the sores. I don't know if there is any hope, even if he does come home.
He has probably been on everything there is, but the state does not care for inmates like the outside world... He is not a bad person, and had many issues for turning to drugs, to stamp out the hurt.
I just want to hear from people that might be able to give me advise

Thanks,
Graystar
Graystar

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
Re: My Son is in an Alabama Prison
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 12:07:27 pm »
Hi graystar, Welcome to the forums.
I'm really sorry to hear what your son is going through , but I will tell you
he is tough. 1992 was not a good time to be diagnosed with HIV and he has survived. I was diagnosed in 95 so I know.

I don't know what meds he has been on in prison so I cant really give you any advice ,only support. He will be out in July and there are many new drug combos available now, he will bounce back.
This is a tool from this website , it maybe help you in locating and setting up assistance in your area.

http://directory.poz.com/

Keep us posted.
Best ,Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline graystar55

• Mother of an infected Son
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 12:48:40 pm »
I must say this about Alabama, we have Dr Sagg and he is the best in ID med. I just have not kept up with the latest treatments, I do know my son told me he'd burned all the antiviral. Thank you for your help and poz feedback. Your right 1992 was a bad time, he thought he'd be dead in 6 months.. twenty some odd years later.. and I am not certain he will be released in July, he is just up for consideration. The parole board I've read is a lot like American Idol, three heads put together for a few moments can determine a persons life. In his case his death...
Graystar

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 06:15:23 am »
Hi, I'm so sorry to read about your son's situation.  I am a recovering addict myself so can totally relate to his situation with the drugs, and stealing.  Of course he's not a bad person, most addicts are good people with an illness.  I say "most" because there are bad people out there, and some of them use drugs.

Wade is correct, there are many newer med combos and I highly doubt a prison in Alabama keeps up with all the latest.  I used to work as a case manager at an Aids service organization and a few of my clients had been in the prison system in Indiana, and let me tell you the prisons did not keep up with all the latest treatments.  I was diagnosed in the very late 80's and have seen how the meds have changed.

I honestly hope your son gets paroled when he is up for consideration. You also have to take care of yourself.  I understand how you feel about him using drugs to hide the pain but you cannot be an enabler either.  It's a very easy role to fall into.  You may want to locate either Al-Anon or Narc-Anon meetings, to help take care of yourself.  I know, with being a mother myself, how we feel about our kids.  If I could I would move heaven and earth to help my daughter.  But we have to learn to set limits, know when we can do something and when our kids have to do the legwork. So please look after yourself also.

I'm so sorry to read that your son has scabies.  He's had this for two years?  That's a long time, I'm surprised the prison hasn't gotten this cleared up.  Wade is right, your son is tough.  '92 was a time before the newer drugs became available so him surviving through that time is a good sign.  I'm glad you got someone in the prison you seem to be able to talk to, I hope he looks after your son. 

Please feel free to talk to us more if you want to. We're here to listen and help in any way we can! 

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 12:21:06 pm »
Sorry to hear this. Sounds like your son is in a horrible place right now.

But to clear something up, you said your son has 'burned' his antiretrovirals?

Do you mean he has taken a decision to stop taking these himself - effectively triggering a long, drawn out suicide? Or am I reading it incorrectly.

I see that he is still getting his numbers monitored, hence being able to quote his VL and CD4 to you.

If I am reading it correctly, is there any psychological support being provisioned to get him to start taking his meds again?

I can understand why someone in that position may feel extremely low but with a parole hearing in a few months, that should be something to cling to

Sorry again to hear about you/your-son's issues
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 03:01:01 pm »
Far as I know, us prisoners have a right to necessary medical treatment.  Of course that may be in theory, not practice. Its difficult to say anything based on a few posts in this forum about your son.  It sounds to me like you need a lawyer because it sounds to me like he isn't being treated for HIV and for scabies.

Not sure where his mind is at, maybe he is refusing treatment? Or his rights are being denied?  He made it to tritherapy.  In principal, since then, HIV is not a terminal illness, so the current state of his immune system was not biologically an inevitable "day to come" as you thought in the early 90s.  Though perhaps with the drugs or he may have a very damaged body from years of drugs or non treatment, etc.

Here is a link to the Lambda statement about the right to treatment:

https://www.lambdalegal.org/sites/default/files/publications/downloads/fs_your-right-to-hiv-treatment-in-prison-and-jail_1.pdf

I suppose your son has a complicated story about how he got to where he is now. 

Wishing you and him the best.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 03:13:44 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.