Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:20:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773224
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 585
Total: 586

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Its been month since diagnosed  (Read 4771 times)

Offline Mo_1990

Its been month since diagnosed
« on: May 31, 2012, 08:14:59 pm »
Hi guys im new to the forum its been a month since i have been diagnosed its been a rollercoaster ride for me im 21 i hadmy whole life ahead of me and now im facing this dilema im really scared and feel alone...the first has been hell but its slwoly getting better each day.

my CD4 count is 540 and my viral load is 55,000 the doctor has told i dont need any meds at the moment but will need some soon as my CD4 drops anyways i made some bad choices in life having sex without a condom and now i have to face being HIV postive

its not being HIV postive im worried its the stigma i have not told anyone yet im soo scared of rejection as i feel dirty.
anyways i just hope that someday this pain would go away and i would come back to being me again i know its not a death sentence but not a day passes when i think if could turn back time....but i guess it was ment to happen and i have to deal with it....i know there is no cure but i dont know if i would be here for another 20 years or even 10 years i just hope that i live a long life.  :(

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Its been month since diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 08:31:28 pm »
sorry you had to find us Mo, but glad you did. :D
You might want to check out the Lessons section as it's filled with good scientific info about all things HIV

i know there is no cure but i dont know if i would be here for another 20 years or even 10 years i just hope that i live a long life.  :(
yes, your numbers seem ok right now and in no immediate need of medications. As someone that used to take some of the first (and worst) HIV meds like AZT and is still here 20+ yrs and counting, let me tell you that when you go on meds and are properly treated, you better be planning on a lot more like 30 or 40 yrs.  ;)  ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 12:38:56 am »
Hi guys im new to the forum its been a month since i have been diagnosed its been a rollercoaster ride for me im 21 i hadmy whole life ahead of me and now im facing this dilema im really scared and feel alone...the first has been hell but its slwoly getting better each day.

my CD4 count is 540 and my viral load is 55,000 the doctor has told i dont need any meds at the moment but will need some soon as my CD4 drops anyways i made some bad choices in life having sex without a condom and now i have to face being HIV postive

its not being HIV postive im worried its the stigma i have not told anyone yet im soo scared of rejection as i feel dirty.
anyways i just hope that someday this pain would go away and i would come back to being me again i know its not a death sentence but not a day passes when i think if could turn back time....but i guess it was ment to happen and i have to deal with it....i know there is no cure but i dont know if i would be here for another 20 years or even 10 years i just hope that i live a long life.  :(

Hi Mo,

Sorry you tested poz but glad you found us.

Your head is probably spinning with all sorts of fears and thoughts and that's perfectly normal. In time you'll start feeling yourself again.

You are not dirty. You are still you. The only thing that has changed is that you now have an infection to manage.

Although HIV is not a disease to be trifled with, today's treatment options give us a near-normal life expectancy and there's no reason to think that you won't still have your entire life ahead of you, because you do.

Give it some time, you'll see you're you and always will be.

Hugs.

Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline sshortguy1

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:36:25 am »
that is well said spacebarsux , hiv is manageable this day and age , nothing can be done now . noone's perfect we all make mistakes and misjudgements in our lives. but that's just being human . we are all the same as before the infection

Offline Lad_Liam

• it's a hitchhiker, not a hijacker
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 11:36:11 am »
Hey Mo
Shit news, sucks to hear. But Welcome to the best place on the net for info and first-hand experience.

On feeling dirt; don't.

At the moment your mind will undoubtedly be awash with the stigma and misconceptions about HIV that exist in society.  It is stigma, untrue beliefs and prejudice. It does not belong to you. I belive these bad thoughts will pass in time, and reading the pages here is an excellent way to re-educate those stigmas.  I'm sorry you have to feel them now. Know they are false and reject them when they enter your mind.

If there is a HIV service near or accessible to you then it could be a safe place to get support. Speaking with someone who is experienced and knowledgable helped me get my head around it.

I want you know know you will adjust to the news too. And it sounds like you can access the meds when you need, yippee.

As the other guys have said, we're gonna still be here to get grey hairs and saggy ball sacks just like negative peeps.

Good on you for reaching out. it's a brilliant move in the right direction.  8)

a new dark passenger joins the ride

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 02:25:22 pm »
If there is a HIV service near or accessible to you then it could be a safe place to get support.
try this resource to find something local
http://directory.poz.com/
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 02:32:31 pm »
Hello Mo,

You have already been given some great advice and I encourage you to use the forum and the lessons to educate yourself.  But take your time and go at your own pace.  Becoming poz is something that nobody can prepare us for, because you never understand what it means, until it happens.  Allow yourself to feel, whatever it is you feel, without the need to do anything about any of it.  Feelings are neither good nor bad, they just are and at times like this, you need to be good to you.

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and to let you know that you have a long and meaningful life ahead of you.  It may not seem like it now, but believe me, it will get better.  I know, because I've been poz for 27 years, so take your time, be good to yourself and I look forward to hearing more about you.

Joe

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.