Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:19:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 329
Total: 330

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Having a rough go of it lately  (Read 13508 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Having a rough go of it lately
« on: June 01, 2007, 01:24:51 am »
I have been taking Prilosec for some time, several years. Prior to its availability over the counter, I used time-released omeaprazole.

Well, it is failing. It has been growing steadily worse in recent months and the doc now wants to put me on Protonix.

Has anyone any experience with this?

I hope it works. I have cut back on my food intake, but it has stopped helping. At this point, I eat a few bites a couple of times a day.

It doesn't matter what I eat or how much, it causes problems. But a full meal leaves me in a great deal of discomfort for hours.

This same condition led to my father having emergency surgery after his stomach ruptured and it killed my grandfather when the same thing happened and peritonitis set in.

I still remember my father vomiting stomach acid every morning and then being cut open and basically gutted after everything ruptured and became contaminated.

I had hoped I had found a way to avoid this particular genetic trait via the wonders of modern chemistry.

I guess not.

Wish me luck on the Protonix. I would love to hear from anyone who has had any experience with this drug.

HUGS (and gurgles),

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Having a rough go of it lately
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 05:32:12 am »
Hi Smiler

I'm sorry to hear this is still troubling you...I'm not that familiar with Protonix but what I have heard is good... all I really know is it's used for erosive acid reflux and the majority of patients recover well from it within 6/8 weeks..so all I can do is keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Love and hugs
Jan :-*

Edited to add...I know I'm not supposed to post here but I just wanted smiler to know I was thinking of him...sorry.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 05:34:27 am by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 08:24:28 am »
Mark

I don't know a thing about Protonix so I can't offer any insight.  I just wanted to say I hope it does the trick for you though.

RAB

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 08:55:58 am »
Mark,

Here's wishing you the best for the new drug in your life.

David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline bear60

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 08:57:59 am »
Mark
No experience here to help but just want to say that we share a lot of the same problems. I have been taking Nexium for about 6 years. It still works.
Hope the new stuff works for you.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 09:33:35 am »
Thanks guys.

Boy, do I sound whiney or what? I think it must be the Sustiva. But, its getting better.

I am holding out much hope for the Protonix. I'll let you know.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 10:25:43 am »
Hey Mark

I hope the new drug will work for you.   Keeping you in my prayers....

love,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Nico

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 07:59:18 pm »
Mark,
Hang in there.  No spicey foods and get plenty of rest.  It is time to give yourself some "Mark time"!  That means take a break for you!

Hugs!
Rog
Poz since 1990.

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 03:13:13 pm »
Mark,

Just wanted to add my words of support here too.

Protonix is not a first-line drug we normally use for people in the hospital, but for people who have had GI bleeds of some type, it's usually the first drug of choice.

My friend takes it and says it's done wonders for him.

Hugs,
John

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 06:38:37 pm »
 hi mark.

I don't know anything about Protonix either. 

The 'BEARS' shed some light on the topic at hand, but other than that, we're not much good, are we?

But you know we commiserate with you...big time.  I hope things get better real soon.  I truly do feel your pain and I don't like it one bit.  And whine all you want...

robert

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 06:43:52 pm »
Hello Mark,

No great words of advice to offer you... I am not familiar with the medication that youa re talking about . (Protonix).

Just want you to know I am thinking about you, and hope that things start geting better for you soon.

((((hugs))))------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline chrism1973

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 05:41:18 am »
aztec,
        I have been on protonix it does wonders.When i started PI's however they took me off.Something to do with the interaction between that and the reyataz.Now i take tums but it has to be at least 6 hrs after i take my meds.
                                                                                                             Chris
Love yourself,love life and live.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 03:00:04 pm »
Mark:
  I hope this works for you.  I am not familiar with it, but I am praying and keeping my fingers crossed that it works!  I don't want you to have to be "gutted."
 Love ya-
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Hard Times

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 02:39:13 pm »
mark;
protonics works better than prilosec, it may take a week or two , so hang in there .
i've been on it for 3or 4 yrs. now.  i take protonics in the morning, hiv meds at nite.
Your Body Is What You Are.
Your Soul Is Who You Are.

Offline atxpozguy

• POZ+ 32 year milestone reached for Austin man
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 02:27:18 am »
Hope you get to feeling better soon...

I had the same issues you are having problems with now. My doc put Omerprazole 20mg capsules which I take in the morning batch of meds and again in night batch of bed.  :)

I have been on this med for alittle over a year now and have no problems eating spicy foods.

When I asked my doc about taking protonics, she told be it would have negative interactions with Lexiva, so I didn't take it.  >:(

32 years poz LTS with no expiration date

Diagnosed HIV 1982
Diagnosed AIDS 2001

As of June 2015, VL <20 CD 435 26%

Currently taking a daily total of 17 meds while only two meds for AIDS, the rest for other body organs effected by years of retrovirals. Diagnosed with Lung Cancer 2012, COPD Stage 4 2015, IBS 2013, Chronic Cystitis, Chronic Renal Failure, Hearing Loss, Depression and everyday comes with different health episodes which has sent me to the Er via EMS on a regular basis.  My quality of life has been impacted dramatically.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.