Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:34:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 348
Total: 349

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What's for dinner?  (Read 10620 times)

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
What's for dinner?
« on: February 28, 2008, 07:04:51 pm »
I'm in a rut. Billy isnt complaining but I seem to be cooking the same things all the time.
Now I am a picky eater so that limits some of the food options but I enjoy cooking and I do a fairly good job nearly all the time.
Sometimes experiments dont work out so well but hell I think that applies for everyone.

I made beef stew last night but I really dont want it anymore. I'm thinking tomorrow I'll take it to my son's apartment where he will drool over it because it isnt ramen noodles. LOL

Tonight I have made a salad so far and I have wingettes in the oven I sprinkled with Garlic & Herb buffalo wing seasoning from McCormick and parmesan cheese. I also have breast tenders seasoned with the same waiting to go in the oven.
For some reason I decided to roll them into balls. They kinda look like large scallops. I wanted to see what they'd look like if I cooked them that way and what kind of reception it would get when I called out "dinner is ready"
I'm not sure what else I'll cook but likely it will be a starch.

I make soups alot. <not the canned variety> homemade
Chicken breast seasoned and cooked in all sorts of ways is another thing I do regularly.
Usually pan seared, grilled or baked.  I rarely fry things.

So whats on the menu?
What meals do you cook routinely?

Wendy

Offline hartiepie

Re: What's for dinner?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 07:24:03 pm »
If I don't know what to make, I go for pizza. Everyone here likes it, it can take any topping and leftovers (should there be any) go for lunch.

Enchiladas and spaghetti are also winners.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 07:32:00 pm »
Ah, good thread, Winiroo. I am in the same boat as you when it comes to being a picky eater. There are a lot of times when I will just eat veggies or a salad. Then there are times when I will just eat meat and not even make a complete meal. I love steak and shrimp with a passion. I eat chicken on occassion and am particular about eating chicken from other places. I think it is because I gave myself salmonella poisoning one time from undercooked chicken. I just have a hard time telling when it is done. But then I don't eat out much or anyone's cooking all like that.

I like to cook too and pride myself for getting tips while watching Food Network Channel or Iron Chef America. I do feel somewhat jipped because being mixed---black and puerto rican--- I really don't do many ethnic dishes though I do know how to cook some chitlins and love them. But I hate fish and beans. What black/puerto rican person do you know that hates beans? ---Go Ahead---I'll wait while you try to think of one.

I tend to like to cook a lot of roasts and usually experiment by cooking them in different varieties of alcohol. Try a pork roast marinated in some Arbor Mist and then add the marinade to the roast when you cook. It is to die for. But then my puerto rican side kicks in because I do love spicy food and peppers. Did I mention that I love rice? Potatoes too.

Last night I cooked some steak with peppers, onions, garlic and mushrooms along with some cabbage with bits of fried bacon in it for seasoning. We were going to invite someone over for dinner but after eating the first plate, me and the roomie decided not to.... ;D
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 08:02:05 pm »
Last night we had baked porkchops - the kind with no bone and very little fat around it.  Saffron rice (yellow kind) and teriyaki vegitables.  To bake the chops, I just sprinkle them with steak dust seasoning on both sides.  Stick 'em in a 350 oven for 15 - 20 minutes.

Night before last we let the kids make homemade pizzas.  We give them flour tortillas, different meats, veggies, and cheeses.  Bake 350 for about 15 minutes (on a cookie sheet).  It's a good way to get them to eat veggies that they wouldn't eat other wise.

Before that, we had baked ham, homemade cheese potatoes and baked beans.

Another favorite is sliced deli turkey.  I make turkey gravy (from the package) and add the turkey to it.  Make some homemade mashed potatoes and gravy and some corn.  I buy thick sliced bread and put the turkey / gravy on top.  We call them turkey boats. 

Baked lasagna (with NO cottage or recotta cheese) is another hit.

Salsbury steaks.  Basically, make hamburger patties and bake them for 30 minutes at, you guessed it 350.  Make some brown gravy and either white rice or mashed potatoes.  Cook some fresh green beans and there ya go.

Oh, another crowd pleaser: Boil a package of wavy no-yolk egg noodles in water and a couple of chicken bouillon cubes.  Drain and put it back in the pan.  Add 1/3 cup of milk, a bit of margarine, and 1 (10oz) can of cream of chicken soup.  A little pepper, little onion powder and dinner's on.  To make it a "meal", I add some chunks of cooked boneless / skinless chicken tenders.

We are a household full of picky eaters, of which I am the QUEEN!  So, I feel your pain, Wini.  I only have 2 kids and hubby who'll eat whatever I put in front of them.  The others are very picky.  Our youngest is easiest - she just flat out doesn't eat.

Hope this helps.
Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 08:03:43 pm »
Very good topic!

If there is one thing I hate about being a responsible adult it figuring out a menu everyday.

Tonight, I seasoned and broiled some steak, cut up and seasoned some potatoes and baked them and then had ceasar salad with it.

If it was just me I could eat grilled chicken salad everyday.

The kids like when I pan grill some chicken with brocolli and alfredo sauce with pasta.

We had a lot of chili with ground turkey in it this winter.

Thankfully, none of my kids are very picky but one of the boys does have a nut allergy so I don't allow nuts in the house at all, which totally bums me out.  Oh, How I miss crunchy peanut butter with strawberry jelly sandwiches.  If I ever get to go stay in a hotel w/o the kids I am ordering that from room service.  

I am getting used to fried food but I try to stay away from it cuz I can't handle too much grease.  I am getting much better before I couldn't even tolerate the smell.

I have yet to try Mums porcupine ball recipe but it is on my list of things to do. :)

Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 08:58:56 pm »
I made beef stew last night but I really dont want it anymore. I'm thinking tomorrow I'll take it to my son's apartment where he will drool over it because it isnt ramen noodles. LOL

that's cute.  :D I saw Tyler Florence on the Food Network making what he called the ultimate pot roast http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_34947,00.html which I'd like to try. But you might not  because it might be too similar to beef stew

Offline minismom

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 09:08:42 pm »
sorry, I goofed.
www.watoto.com
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 02:30:10 am »
Hey Wendy,

My doctor said I should eat more fish.  Tonight, I made my favorite Macro-Biotic meal which consists of frozen fish sticks and frozen french fries, lightly tossed in a balsamic vinigrette.  ;D Have the best day
Michael

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 07:28:53 am »
Hey Wendy,

My doctor said I should eat more fish.  Tonight, I made my favorite Macro-Biotic meal which consists of frozen fish sticks and frozen french fries, lightly tossed in a balsamic vinigrette.  ;D Have the best day
Michael

Now, that sounds like my kind of cooking!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline poz1970

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 09:53:41 am »
I know where you're coming from, I seem to only cook the same things for myself/other half ..

Steak sausages on the george foreman with brussell sprouts, carrots, mashed potatos, brochilli

Spag bog, with toxic quantities of garlic

Tuna and Corn mornay

Tuna with macaroni and cheese

Vegemite and Toast

Scrambled Eggs

Teriaki Chicken

and lots and lots of tuna and mayonnaise sandwiches.

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 09:56:03 am »
I know where you're coming from, I seem to only cook the same things for myself/other half ..

Steak sausages on the george foreman with brussell sprouts, carrots, mashed potatos, brochilli

Spag bog, with toxic quantities of garlic

Tuna and Corn mornay

Tuna with macaroni and cheese

Vegemite and Toast

Scrambled Eggs

Teriaki Chicken

and lots and lots of tuna and mayonnaise sandwiches.

J

Ohooo, I'd go all the way with a gourmet  ;D Have the best day
Michael
(who will probably have peanut butter sandwiches tonight)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 11:02:42 am »
You're going to gag, but last night I ate duck heart for the first time.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 11:12:49 am »

You've got more balls than I do.  Egads.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 11:27:27 am »
You've got more balls than I do.  Egads.

Speaking of balls, they had duck testicles on the menu last week I was told.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 01:57:20 pm »
So how did the heart taste? Why am I not surprised, you seem to have champagne tastes. Or that is the impression I have of you. But please tell me you are NOT going to try the balls...
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 02:14:54 pm »
Well, like any organ meat the texture is different -- think liver, gizzard but with the slight taste of duck.  I'm not a huge duck fan myself, so I wasn't that into it.

I also had, and always quite enjoy, sweetbreads which is the thymus gland of a calf.  Most people like this offal once they taste it.  I also had a delightful foie gras, which is the liver from a goose which has been force fed.

My best friend owns a Spanish restaurant near Union Square in Manhattan, so our party of six went through a tasting menu she devised consisting of about 10 appetizers, six entrees and six desserts, along with 6 different kinds of wine.  Needless to say it was divine, and I didn't spend a dime.

I will pretty much try anything once... but don't be deceived -- ain't nothing like a good, juicy cheeseburger in my book.

Offline bear60

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 02:18:22 pm »
Our dear David may have champagne tastes but his heart is here:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Iggy

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 02:21:31 pm »
reminds me, that I got to defrost the chopmeat and pull out the mac and cheese for tonight

Offline bear60

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 04:42:18 pm »
OH Boy ...let me tell you about one of the treats we had in Ft Lauderdale: Key Lime Pie.
Now, its just so much nicer when its served in the tropics with  palm trees  blowing gently in the wind and the smell of gardenias wafting over the terrace.....but this is so good anytime.. anywhere.

http://joyofbaking.com/KeyLimePie.html

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 10:54:03 pm »
I am getting used to fried food but I try to stay away from it cuz I can't handle too much grease.  I am getting much better before I couldn't even tolerate the smell.
I like fried food on occasion. Taste good but it doesn't sit well. Especially bacon for some reason.

the ultimate pot roast But you might not  because it might be too similar to beef stew
I love beef. But it is sooo hard for me to digest. Doctors say irritable bowel but I think they are just guessing. LOL

Michael
LMAO Michael that is soooo not Macro-Biotic
Sounded chic though  ;D

brussell sprouts, carrots, mashed potatos, broccoli, Spag bog, with toxic quantities of garlic
macaroni and cheese, Toast, Scrambled Eggs, Teriaki Chicken
LOL I deleted everything in your quote box that I wouldn't eat. Fish is one of my food phobias and I do even like looking at mayo.

Ewwwwww  ;D  I dont eat organs   Unless you count Billy   ;D

OH Boy ...let me tell you about one of the treats we had in Ft Lauderdale: Key Lime Pie.

You know I have seen key lime pie probably a million times but I've never tried it. I'm not a big pie person. I'm one of those weirdos that eat the cake and not the icing too.  ;)

Hope I didnt forget someone. Its almost my bedtime

Wendy

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 12:29:02 am »
Tonight, I had a tossed green salad w/ Italian dressing, followed by a carton of Cherry Garcia.  Tomorrows dinner plans were special but one of us had a flu shot and he can not get out of bed (for the past 6 days).  I do have a lovely bottle of Navarro Ridge Cabernet 2002 vintage.  It may be replaced by Saturday night (next week).  ;D Have the best day
Michael

Offline poz1970

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 01:22:36 am »
Tonight, I'm trying 'spicy bacon cabonara', and adding tuna to it for something I recognize

oh, with toxic quantities of garlic, of course :-D

(garlic is a food group, along with chocolate, ya know!)

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline fearless

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 05:14:19 am »
I had a barbie tonight - lamb chops and lamb ribs, salad and potato bake. all knocked back with a few Hienikins. Presently, I feel like I am about to explode adn desperately need a little nap.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline minismom

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 09:18:17 am »
Last night, we had baked sketti, italian bread, and creamcicles (sugar-free) for dessert.

Tonight, I have no idea.  Still waiting for some "inspiration".  I have stuff to make chili so I may make a batch and put it in the crockpot.  Kids have a party from 2 - 4:30 so I won't have a lot of time to cook once we get home.

Happy eating!
Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2008, 09:27:14 am »
So how did the heart taste? Why am I not surprised, you seem to have champagne tastes. Or that is the impression I have of you. But please tell me you are NOT going to try the balls...

Had to be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgu-dz8jLOs
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2008, 09:29:16 am »
Ewwwwww  ;D  I dont eat organs   Unless you count Billy   ;D
LOL...Hhhhmm..is there much protein in that?  Win, you are too funny!

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2008, 11:46:04 am »
Last night it was steak(again) but this time with some cheesy potatoes and fried corn. And today it will be left overs, I don't feel like cooking... ;)
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2008, 11:50:02 am »
How do you make cheesy potatoes?  They sound pretty good!

Offline allanq

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2008, 02:25:46 pm »
Last night I tried a roast chicken recipe that a friend recommended.

•   Rub some oil over a whole chicken and sprinkle with salt & pepper.

•   Cut up two apples, an onion, some carrots and celery and arrange around the chicken in a roasting pan. Put a few pieces of apple inside the cavity of the chicken. (I used celery seed instead of fresh celery, since I hate buying a whole bunch of celery for $1.89, using just a couple of stalks, then seeing the rest rot in my refrigerator.)

•   Pour about 1 1/2 cups of apple juice over the chicken.

•   Roast uncovered at 350º until done (around 1 hour 15 minutes for a 3 1/2 lb chicken). Baste the chicken a couple of times during the cooking process.

You can add potatoes to the mix of veggies around the chicken, but it might take longer for them to get done. Give them a head start with a minute or two in the microwave.

It's delicious.

Allan

Offline bear60

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2008, 02:28:20 pm »
Last night we ordered Chinese food and had it delivered.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 02:42:11 pm »
Last night I tried a roast chicken recipe that a friend recommended.

I've made chicken and turkey with an orange inside the cavity. Never tried apple before. Sounds like a good idea.

Tonight I am going to make skewered chicken breast and onion seasoned with Kikkoman garlic teriyaki sauce/marinade and jasmine rice. I'm considering mixing carrots and peas into the rice and I will likely make broccoli too. 

This isn't a normal dish for me but I have done skewers before. I've never tried this particular sauce but it looks and smells good. It supposedly has robust garlic flavor.

I could likely live on chicken, rice and soy sauce. I don't know how well Billy will like it but honestly I don't care LOL
Something is wrong with him <He doesnt like chinese food> LOL

Last night was heart burn night. One of our boys was moving into a new apartment so dinner was a quickly scarfed peice of sausage and pepperoni pizza. A couple of hours later followed by a glass of milk and some pepsid.  ;D

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2008, 09:39:07 pm »
The chicken was good.
I experimented and made fried rice. I've never done it before.

Used about a tablespoon of vegi oil, heated it and threw in frozen peas and carrots then an egg then my cooked rice and seasoned it with soysauce.  It wasnt as good as a restaurant but it was decent.

Billy ate it  ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.