Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:45:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 356
Total: 358

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Any advice would be much appreciated oral sex-hiv  (Read 7730 times)

Offline brianw

Any advice would be much appreciated oral sex-hiv
« on: November 01, 2006, 03:55:49 pm »
Last weekend I was at a club and my and two strange guys began giving each other blowjobs.  We all sucked and recieved; no ejaculation in each others mouths (but I'm sure there was pre cum).  I have read that recieving is not a risk for contracting hiv on the threads.  I am beginning to worry about contracting hiv while sucking the other two though.  I did take them deep in my mouth at one point too.  My throught is starting to get sore and I feel like I'm getting a cold.  I am worrying so much that I have a PCR-DNA test scheduled for later this week to test for any early traces of hiv.  I am also testing for the other std's as well.  Do you think I'm being paranoid?  Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Brian

Offline RapidRod

Re: Any advice would be much appreciated oral sex-hiv
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 04:09:35 pm »
Do I think you are getting paranoid? Oh yeah. You can forget about the testing especially the PCR test. PCR testing is not used or approved for diagnosing HIV.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 04:18:41 pm »
Brian, actually other STDs are much easier to catch than HIV. Some can be acquired just by skin to skin contact and certainly orally.

Just in general if you are sexually active it's a good idea to regularly have a full standard STD panel done. Annually is good and every six months is even better.

As far as HIV is concerned, the likelihood of transmission via giving oral is very, very unlikely, particularly if ejaculation did not take place.

Just as Rod said, the PCR was never designed to be used for diagnostic purposes, and if it is used it is recommended to do it at 28 days after a possibly risky incident. Your plan to do it now is simply too early for any kind of reliable result. Also, because of it's high level of sensitivity often it can yield a FALSE positive.

You are way overreacting to this incident. There is absolutely nothing HIV-specific about your symptoms, but then neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. If there has been a real risk then only an HIV test will give you a reliable answer and the CDC recommends doing that at 13 weeks past the risky incident.

Let's get real here. Think about it -- you had oral sex with a stranger whom you more or less deep throated. So is it really surprising you end up with a sore throat?

You're wasting your money on that PCR and you need to take a breath and chill out about this whole thing.

No kidding.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline brianw

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 04:26:12 pm »
Thank you Rod and Andy for responding so fast to me.  Now I'm a little confused....the lab testing company I spoke with on the phone said that the results were about 90% accurate at that stage for detecting hiv.  Is that not true? Cause it is a lot of $$$ to waste.   Wow it is going to be hard to wait 13 weeks to test....very worried.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 04:34:01 pm »
Yes it's a lot of dollars to waste when it is not a confirmatory test, can give false positives and then you still have to retest at 13 weeks anyway. Why on earth would you take a test that could put you in anxiety spins when you would have to spend more money to get a confirmatory test to override the false positive PCR test. It's your dollar..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 08:53:07 pm »
Aside from anything else a lab is a business and obviously makes money with fees being what they are for test like this.

In many cases a PCR can detect HIV within 48-72 hours, but it also as has been pointed out has a high incidence of FALSE positives.

Given that your risk was low to begin with and that you are likely to test negative, I would suggest you wait. You've already been told that the risk was very low. Wait out the time, stay productively busy and you will find the waiting period will pass more quickly than you imagine.

Alternatively, you can test at 6 weeks and then re-test at 13 weeks. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days and all but the smallest number who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure. A negative result at 6 weeks is more than just encouraging.

But it's your money and your call.

Andy Velez

Offline checking

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 06:26:18 am »
You can forget about the testing especially the PCR test. PCR testing is not used or approved for diagnosing HIV.

http://www.kaisernetwork.org/daily_reports/rep_index.cfm?DR_ID=40288

Thats no longer true. FDA has recently approved a NAT assay manufactured by GenProbe for early detection of HIV. Remember, PCR is a type of NAT. The test that was approved is a qualitative test, which means it gives a yes/no answer, not the number of copies of the virus present. This test was already being used by Red Cross, the state of North Carolina as part of their STAT program for early detection of HIV. While PCR-DNA may not be the same  test, it is to be noted here that PCR-DNA RARELY shows a false-positive result. Its the old PCR-RNA quantitative which sometimes returned a false positive, usually in very low viral load numbers. Even then the likelyhood of that happening is 2%-5%.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 07:38:54 am »
Checking,

You are not in any position to be giving advice in this forum and I'll thank you to stop.

Brian (the original poster) has a DNA PCR test scheduled, but the test you talk about is an RNA PCR test and there IS a difference.

Also, these tests are not meant to be used in low risk situations such as the one Brian describes. If Brian had unprotected receptive anal intercourse with someone who is known to be positive, THEN qualitative RNA PCR testing might be warranted. In this case (blowjobs) it is NOT.

And by the way, it's actually fairly common to get a false positive on the DNA test. We've seen it happen time and time again in these forums and it ain't pretty. There is also still a possibility of false positives with qualitative RNA PCR testing, although less than with quantitative RNA PCR testing.

Ann
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 07:49:54 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 07:48:41 am »
I stand corrected but the test you mentioned is only a diagnostic test for HIV 1 and it still needs to have a confirmative test.

Offline checking

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 08:31:41 am »
You are not in any position to be giving advice in this forum.

Ann,

Can you show me the requirements one must have to give advice on this forum? I suppose the rule is if you once ask a question in the Am I Infected Forum, you are classified as someone who should never give advice. Am I right? If yes, then kindly post this in the welcome thread or the terms of usage page. Pardon me, but I was under a different opinion about how a "forum" works. I was under the impression that moderation usually is exercised if the information is incorrect or abusive.

By the way, I was not giving any advice here. I was merely pointing out that Nucleic Acid testing is indeed approved now for qualitative diagnosis of HIV. The State of North Carolina and the Red Cross has already been using the same test for years now. Refer to the PubMed articles by Dr.Christopher Pilcher and Dr.Peter Leone of UNC-Chapel Hill, NC. Or better even, ask Tim Horn. I read his review about this testing protocol in PRN Notebook.

This test is NOT a RNA-PCR test. In fact, it does not use PCR technology at all. Its a NAT test that uses Transcription-Mediated Amplification (TMA), a method used exclusively by the San Diego based Gen Probe Inc (the manufacturer of the test). I agree with RapidRod though that this test only tests for HIV-1. In fact there is no NAT assay that checks for both HIV-1 and HIV-2 given the amplification process involved and the gentetic makeup difference between the two. So yes, precisely for this reason, a confirmatrory antibody test may be necessary.

The low-risk/high-risk protocol you mentioned does not apply to any testing scenario. It is used as a "guideline" only for administering PEP at a physician's discretion. There again, some leading HIV Physicians like Dr.Joel Gallant of Johns Hopkins suggest that any "receptive" sexual activity is riskier than any "insertive" sexual activity.

http://qa.hopkins-aids.org/forum/view_question.html?section_id=61&category_id=90&id=103636

In case you are curious, my knowledge about blood-borne pathogens is not restricted to "googling". I hold a MS degree in Life Sciences from the University of Notre Dame and am currently working towards my PhD. I am convinced that HIV will be my area of research towards my dissertation.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 08:37:52 am by checking »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 11:44:26 am »
checking,

You came into this thread to "correct" information that wasn't wrong to begin with. The test being discussed was PCR DNA testing. All this kind of thing does is muddy the issue. That was my main issue with you. And like it or not, there are studies that show oral is extremely low risk and nothing to start using fancy testing over. This person doesn't even really need to test over this specific incident.

Please do not hijack this thread further. If you want to discuss this issue more, please post in your own original thread. Anything further you post here will be moved to your own thread.

And by the way, if you know as much as you claim to, then why did you have to come here with your out of control husband? You have very little credibility here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline brianw

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 04:07:24 pm »
Thank you all very much for your comments....I really appreciate them.  So I guess bottom line is I should just wait until about 6 weeks and test with western blot for hiv or not?  With all that I have heard and read...don't know if I should be concerned about it?     I am going to test for the std's now though. This website is so great, thank you all so much for keeping up date!!
Brian

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 04:38:23 pm »
Brian, you'll test with an ELISA test first. If it would happen to give a positive result, then a Western Blot or an equivalent would be given.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 06:50:13 pm »
Brian,

If you want to understand more about hiv testing, check out the link to the Testing Lesson found in the Welcome Thread. While you're there, have a look at the Transmission Lesson too, and you might also like to read through the condom and lube links in my signature line.

And don't sweat the hiv test - if you do decide to test over this incident. As long as you haven't been having any unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse, you can expect a negative result.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline brianw

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 09:09:03 am »
I just wanted to thank Ann, Andy, and Rod for all of your advice.  Just wanted to let you my status.  I got tested for std's and they came back neg which is a good thing.  I also took the dna hiv test and that also came back neg.  Due to what I have read and heard from the experts (you all), I think I may just put this behind me and not do any further testing.  Any thoughts?  This website is indeed a very good thing, thanks for all your efforts.

Offline brianw

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 06:40:27 pm »
One last qestion.  Took another dna pcr @ the 5 week and it was neg. Just took a hiv antibody test @ the 12 week point and it came back neg.  Is that good enough to move on and leave this behind me?  Thanks for all your help.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 06:42:53 pm »
Yes..

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 08:07:34 pm »
Absolutely.  Move on.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.