Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:54:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 327
Total: 327

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Looking or an HIV support group in Manahattan?  (Read 4262 times)

Offline phost86

Looking or an HIV support group in Manahattan?
« on: July 20, 2012, 02:25:52 pm »
Hello all!
Does anyone have info on a good hiv support group in the city?
I have been searching but not able to find one.
I really need to connect.

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
Re: Looking or an HIV support group in Manahattan?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 02:36:19 pm »
Hi Phost86, I've never been personally but I heard that Friends In Deed comes highly recommended as they offer many support programs and services for anyone diagnosed with hiv/aids, cancer, and other illnesses, as well as people affected by someone who may be dealing with those conditions.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 04:17:36 pm »
I went to Friends in Deed for several years, it's a great place with the best support groups I've been in. They recommend starting with what is called "Big Group" and then if you feel the need sign up for a smaller group.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline phost86

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 05:18:57 pm »
Thanks for the info. They have a big group meeting on Tuesday and I'm so there:)
I've been having a tough go of it lately and need to be around other hiv-positive people to connect with.
Thanks again!

Offline Rhaegar

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 08:36:33 pm »
The thing about the groups at FID is that anyone can go to the groups, so you could be the only one with HIV at a group, even during a group that has an HIV focus.  I went once, and the style didn't suit me.

I did benefit from a group at The Center for those newly diagnosed.  I know there was a funding issue over whether or not those groups could continue, but if you go you go to gaycenter.org there might be information there, or at least a general contact phone number.

-Kevin
05/19/2011: Diagnosed.  CD4 159   VL 284,000.
04/29/2013:  CD4 789,   VL <20

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 08:41:26 pm »
Weird, when I used to go the groups were always in excess of 95% HIV attendees. Maybe they all died off.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Rhaegar

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 08:44:33 pm »
To be fair, I only ever went to the HIV focus group, never the big group. 

I liked the style of the The Center's group.  It was a 10 or 13-week group with the same people every week.  I still keep in touch with the guys I met through that group. 
05/19/2011: Diagnosed.  CD4 159   VL 284,000.
04/29/2013:  CD4 789,   VL <20

Offline phost86

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 08:50:22 pm »
Hello all!
I went to my first Big Group meeting last week and it was deep. I'll be attending an HIV Focus group tomorrow. Thanks again all for the info:)

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 10:22:04 am »
you could try GMHC - my favorite

http://www.gmhc.org/

they are very good and have orientations, groups meetings, cooking classes, etc and many activities.

there is also The Center

http://www.gaycenter.org/

good info, they have a bulletin board on the second floor of activities with  HIV activities and a help desk in front

Callen-Lorde Community Health Center
http://www.callen-lorde.org/
they have clubs and info groups

PS.  there are many others and you will find them in these organization, word of mouth with the people that go there, the bulletin boards or flyers.

good luck
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:35:10 am by red_Dragon888 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline phost86

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 06:02:37 pm »
Thanks Red:)

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 09:25:21 am »
no problem.  your welcome.  i hope you find one you like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 02:44:42 pm »
I go to a support group in south Florida.  It's fun to get out and interact with other HIV poz guys once a week.
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.