Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:25:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 768
Total: 769

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Country Issues and HIV Drugs  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Kalel

Country Issues and HIV Drugs
« on: November 01, 2018, 02:01:27 pm »
Hi all! I've being living with HIV for 5 years now, I'm UD, my currently my regimen is
Norvir +Tenofovir & Lamivudina + Darunavir(x2) and i live in Brazil.

There are many rumors around my country that the new President (Jair Bolsonaro) will stop the govern from giving FREE meds for the Country. I know it's a very drastic atittude and can be hard to be implemented but I'm trying to undestand my options if that happens.

1. Should I buy some extra meds? To prevent any "run out"
I've being searching for my meds on internet, and they are REALLY hard to find and very expensive, found them on Canada and India, and it might cost me around $800 dolars for a 2 months regimen. Is it worth it? I'm also not sure if the websites are trustfull for that amount of money. Is there any indication on how/where can I buy it?

2. Should I plan moving to another Country (legally)
Brazilians do not need VISA for Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Portugal and Mexico. But will these countries give me free meds? There is a limit of time that I can stay in these countries, so what would I do next? I am willing to pay for a medical plan if necessary. But not sure if thats an option.

3. Should I plan going to go to another country (illegally)
This would be my last option, but is it an option at all? I still have VISA as a turist for some countries. But will I be able to get my meds if I just get there? And what next?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not happy on coming up with these ideias, but planing makes me feel more calm. And if this happens, and there is an option to pay an reasonable money for my meds in my Country, I would stay.

But I can imagine how people would go panic and maybe buy more than necessary, so the meds would eventually run out! I know how important is to keep my regimen.

Sorry my bad English, and thanks a lot for any support.

Offline Dfwguy

Re: Country Issues and HIV Drugs
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 09:55:23 pm »
I completely understand your dilemna. It is always Smart to review various options. If the situation gets bad, I would attempt to move out of Brazil. You might check to see if HIV testing is required to get a residence visa. Argentina/Uruguay would be a good option. I do not know about the cost of medications.  Here in the USA, we have elections next week. If the Democrats do not win a majority, we fear  the situation in the USA will become like Brazil- and the government stop paying for HIV medications.
Best of luck to you- please reply back with future updates
HIV dx .  08/1985

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 10:51:25 pm »

ojo.    Hello there... I'm sorry about your dilema, I talk to several Brazilian friends who are HIV positive, and they are concerned too...I know that the government of Argentina is cutting funds for HIV treatment... I heard that in Mexico anyone can get meds, although there are guidelines for what treatment to start you with... I agree with the previous member's reply. I even heard Trump praising your new  president, which we know he likes dictators... I guess we all have to wait and see what happens... Do not lose hope.

I think that that medication you're taking, specially darunavir/norvir, are more expensive than $800 for 2 months. that website where you check for med's prices is wrong... Good luck and please Keep in touch...abracos...tchau.    ojo

Offline Matland

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 07:47:47 pm »
Ok i am typing these sentences hoping that these make you relieved.

I live in Turkey and you might know that we are having a huge economic crisis here like Argentina. Our currency lost its value for a couple of Last months over %150 or something. We are the second worst country in an economic basis after Argentina. Our president is alike your president. Here in Turkey hiv+ People feared about What you feel right now. Because most of us on Genvoya or Truimeq treatment and both are imported from abroad. Anyways, health issues are very critical here and health policies are so determinative  that the government had to explained that there Would be no expense reduction for medications, operations and other health issues. Health politics can be counted as number 1 to consider when People vote here. What i say is that hiv as like in the other parts of the world, is a Public health issue. It is impossible to cut the funds for treatment. Otherwise it can cause greater problems which need much more money than they need now.

By the way i am sorry for the result of the elections. In my country People started to ask that question for the world: are we coming in a New medieval age? I think it is worth to think about it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 07:52:33 pm by Matland »

Offline Expat1

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 09:18:01 am »
I believe that you should get the prescriptions, and travel once per year to India to obtain the medicine/

Offline kentfrat1783

• Instagram: kentfrat1783
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 09:54:19 am »
I'm still nervous about the election this coming Tuesday in the USA. 

Then again we are currently working on the health insurance renewal at work and the rates are either going to go up by 20% (or around) or the deductible will rise again.  Ugh.  I'm going to have to start using the copay cards for my Rx's. 

Let's hope things go better then you expect in your country.  BTW try to enjoy your day.
Date - CD4 - Percent - VL
08/23/23 - 366 - 26%
06/20/23 - 349 - 21% - UD
04/15/23 - 229 - 19% - <20
11/14/22 - 486 - 24% - 73
10/12/22 - 316 - 19% - <20
06/20/22 - 292 - 21% - <20
01/25/22 - 321 - 22% - <20
09/22/21 - 278 - 19% - <20
02/02/21 - 225 - 19% - <20
06/08/20 - 257 - 20% - <20
03/17/20 - 285 - 19% - 101 (2.00)
12/17/19 - 290 - 20% - <20
09/17/19 - 218 - 16%
06/18/19 - 173 - 16% - <20
03/13/19 - 170 - 16% - <20
January 2019 - Started Triumeq
12/05/08 - 174 - 18% - <20
08/28/18 - 166 - 15% - <20
05/08/18 - 106 - 11% - <20
03/05/18 -   90 - 10% - <20
12/11/17 -   60 -   8%
09/07/17 -   42 -   6% - 54 (1.70)
May 2017 - Started Atripla
05/11/17 -    2 -    1% - 169,969 (5.23)
OI's: PCP
Dx`d May 11, 2017

Offline Expat1

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 01:11:24 pm »
On a sidenote, perhaps it would be easier to source your medicine in South Africa if need be. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.