Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2022, 10:58:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 766795
  • Total Topics: 65451
  • Online Today: 184
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 95
Total: 97

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Truvuda PEP side effects  (Read 1616 times)

Offline landersen

• Standard
Truvuda PEP side effects
« on: September 07, 2022, 12:35:23 pm »
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.  New here and couldn't really find what I was looking for via search.

I just took my first Truvada and Inestress pills for PEP treatment.  Generally speaking, when I read about potential side effects, I'm wondering how severe those side effects are in the real world.  I'm a relatively healthy 52 year old male.  Only real issue I have is being roughly 25lbs overweight.

Is there any advice for these drugs to help mitigate potential side effects such as Nausea, diarrhea, etc?

I am a little concerned that I sometimes do suffer very mild bouts of depression and wondering how concerned I should be about that since it is a listed side effect of Truvada.

Thoughts are advice from the community?

Thank you in advance.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Truvuda PEP side effects
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 12:43:56 pm »
Why are you taking PEP?

I also moved your post here, as the section you posted originally is designed for people living with HIV.

Generally speaking, when I read about potential side effects, I'm wondering how severe those side effects are in the real world.

Is there any advice for these drugs to help mitigate potential side effects such as Nausea, diarrhea, etc?

Truvada (TDF/FTC) is not required but is best taken with food to reduce certain issues. Generally, aside from settling in, you should not expect issues, and PEP is only for 28 days.

Should you have some loose stool or nausea, do report it to your doctor, and you can find some general tips here: https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/nausea-vomiting-diarrhea

Here's what you need to know to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse correctly and consistently, with no exceptions. Consider talking to your healthcare provider about PrEP as an additional layer of protection against HIV

Keep in mind that some sexual practices described as safe in terms of acquiring HIV still pose a risk for other easier acquired STIs. So please do get tested at least yearly for STIs, including but not limited to HIV, and more frequently if condomless intercourse occurs.

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms, and the only way of knowing is by testing.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV" Forum, you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post, and it will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread, and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will removed
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline landersen

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 12:53:54 pm »
Thanks for the reply and thanks for moving my post (didn't realize where I was posting it).

I'm taking PEP because of a drunken encounter 48 hours ago where I was a receptive partner for a hookup and I was shitfaced (pardon my French) drunk.  When I woke up the next morning, the person I hooked up with was gone, there were no condoms to be found, and he blocked me on the app I was using.  I honestly don't remember much about the encounter suffice to say that when I woke up the next morning, something felt very off about the encounter.

Thank you for the info.  I did get a full panel of STI tests and am awaiting the results.

Offline landersen

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 12:56:34 pm »
Oh, and one more question.  Does anyone know if there are any concerns about taking Melatonin with Truvada and Inestress?  the melatonin really helps me fall asleep because of my Tinnitus.

Thanks.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 01:04:55 pm »
Thanks for the reply and thanks for moving my post (didn't realize where I was posting it).

I'm taking PEP because of a drunken encounter 48 hours ago where I was a receptive partner for a hookup and I was shitfaced (pardon my French) drunk.  When I woke up the next morning, the person I hooked up with was gone, there were no condoms to be found, and he blocked me on the app I was using.  I honestly don't remember much about the encounter suffice to say that when I woke up the next morning, something felt very off about the encounter.

Thank you for the info.  I did get a full panel of STI tests and am awaiting the results.

Well, prehaps after you have finished PEP & testing you could consider PrEP as an additional layer of HIV prevention going forward.

Anyhow, PEP is thankfully highly effective; test at six weeks post finishing PEP with a blood-draw (Lab) HIV antibody test and a non-reactive result at that time would rarely ever change and retesting at three months post finishing PEP is generally not needed.

Oh, and one more question.  Does anyone know if there are any concerns about taking Melatonin with Truvada and Inestress?  the melatonin really helps me fall asleep because of my Tinnitus.

Thanks.

I don't know of any interaction between these drugs and Melatonin and neither is anything listed on drugs.com, however, always check with a qualified pharmacist.

https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1548-0,971-1696,2413-12294

« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 01:22:43 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline landersen

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 01:01:50 pm »
On day 6 of Pep medications and have only had minor side effects (mild headache, a bit of nausea, tiredness).  Yay.

It took me a while to get my meds because it was actually hard to find a pharmacy near me that had the Isentress and I had crappy insurance issues to work out.  I was able to start the meds within the 72 hour window, but just barely.  But I am the paranoid type and I have all kinds of scenarios running through my head right now, so my question is.

Let's say that I was infected, and that the meds do not end up preventing me from becoming positive.  Do I need to worry about any kind of drug resistance that might occur between the time I stop taking pep medications and the time I start actual ongoing treatment? 

I'm assuming there would be a gap of time in between stopping pep, getting retested, getting Dr. apt to prepare for treatment, etc.  That gap, where I'm not taking HIV meds while working on the logistics, is what I'm worried about.  I'm the kind of person that obsesses over worst case scenarios and it drives me crazy.

Thanks.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 01:59:04 pm »
Do I need to worry about any kind of drug resistance that might occur between the time I stop taking pep medications and the time I start actual ongoing treatment?

The infection would not gain resistance because of taking PEP, no.

Stop stressing about issues you simply don't have. Take the PEP, test when due and in the meantime, live your life as normal.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline landersen

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 12:26:59 am »

Hello again.  Today is my last day on PeP.  I went to see an infectious disease doc today to get started on PreP.  I asked him when I should get another HIV test and he said in 3 months.  Everything I find online says to get a test 4-6 weeks after the exposure and then again in 3 months.  I brought this up to him and he said there is no point and that I should just wait 3 months.

I get that at 3 months I'm pretty much guaranteed to be negative (assuming a negative result), but is there value in getting tested earlier contrary to the recommendation from the Doc?

Thanks.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2022, 01:21:53 am »
As mentioned, test at six weeks post finishing PEP with a blood-draw (Lab) HIV antibody test and a non-reactive result at that time would rarely ever change, and retesting at three months post finishing PEP is generally not needed.

If you wanted to test at three months for peace of mind, you can, but the result isn't going to change.

today to get started on PreP.

Now, this might make a difference, so you started PrEP directly after PEP without first having a window of time for confirmation testing?

If you have already started the PrEP, I would say test, as mentioned at six weeks, post PEP and again in three months. Also, as part of a good PrEP schedule, make sure to test for HIV & STIs every three months.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 01:55:25 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline landersen

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2022, 01:43:38 am »
I did start on PrEP the next day after completing PEP.  This was the recommendation of the infectious disease doc. He didn't mention anything about a confirmation window.  Is this a bad thing or will it cause issues when I do get tested again?

And again, the doc said wait until 3 months after finishing PEP for another HIV test.  I asked him specifically why the general recommendation I see online and in these forums says 4-6 weeks and he basically shrugged that off and said just to wait 3 months.

Basically, I'm looking for the peace of mind sooner rather than waiting the full 3 months.  After reading your response, I'm just going to get tested at 6 weeks anyway, regardless of what the doc said.

Thanks.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2022, 02:28:29 am »
Is this a bad thing or will it cause issues when I do get tested again?

I would carefully say it doesn't seem optimal HIV screening before you started PrEP. However, you are stressing and overthinking this and the short version is the PEP is done, and you have started PrEP. You can test at six weeks and three months post finishing the PEP; I don't see any major concerns to stress about.

A bit more detail but please try not to get too focused on this, is that the guidelines generally are to test six weeks post-exposure with a blood draw (lab) HIV antibody test or wait until three months if using rapid tests. Four weeks would be very short, with 4th gen detecting 90-95% of infections at that stage.

However, you took PEP, which could delay this window. The cautious recommendation is to apply the testing window post-finishing PEP instead of post-exposure. So six weeks post-finishing PEP, you did not wait and switched directly from PEP to PrEP.

So you can test at six weeks post the PEP, and as you started PrEP, make sure to retest at three months.

Moving foward, as part of the PrEP schedule, test for HIV & STIs every three months.

Best, Jim.

2015:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4641668/
2017:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5578893/
2016:
R.Harrington
https://depts.washington.edu/nwaetc/presentations/uploads/219/nonoccupational_hiv_post_exposure_prophylaxis_npep.pdf

PrEP:
https://www.aidsmap.com/news/may-2018/prep-may-make-it-hard-tell-if-someone-has-hiv-infection
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 02:37:19 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline landersen

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2022, 06:41:52 pm »
So I went back and talked to the infectious disease doc and expressed my concern about moving directly from PEP to PrEP.  He did agree with me that if yes, for some reason, if I do have HIV, that taking just Truvada alone is a bad thing and I could develop drug resistance.  So with his approval I stopped taking Truvada 4 days after I started and he said this shouldn't be a problem.  I'm still not very happy with his initial recommendation, but that's neither her nor there at this point.  So now I'm in the window period.

About 4 days after I stopped however, I started feeling ill and it's been going on for over a week.  Headaches, nausea, flu symptoms, running nose, dizziness, etc.  I'm starting to get concerned because I'm not seeing any improvement.

So just to try and ease my mind, I took an Oraquick test yesterday and it came back negative.  This would be 7 weeks past the high-risk exposure that made me start on PeP (within the 72 hour window), and roughly 10 weeks since my last sexual encounter  with condoms.

1. Does the Oraquick test provide any value at this juncture or is it just still too early to tell anything?  Basically I was just looking for something, anything, to ease my stress even a little.

2. This is more of a general medical question.  I know that stress can cause illness and some of the symptoms that I'm having, but would that generally include things like a stuffy head and runny nose?  Those symptoms would seem unrelated to stress, but I'm just not sure.

3. Could coming off the meds cause some of the symptoms I am experiencing?  I can't find any information about how your body reacts to stopping Isentress and Truvada

4. I am now 6 weeks post exposure and since I came off the Truvada for PrEP, can I assume (according to your prior reply), that I can get a blood draw test and those results, while not being 100% conclusive, would be fairly indicative of a more cautious testing window in another 6 weeks?  Or is it just still too early?

Thanks again for all the help and guidance.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 07:10:26 pm by landersen »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2022, 02:47:49 am »
Hiya,

Sorry to hear that you have been feeling unwell, and I hope you feel better soon. See your healthcare provider and treat whatever is causing you to feel sick.

Understand that after you finished PEP, you started and stopped PrEP after four days.

Let's keep it simple, test six weeks post finishing PEP & PrEP with a blood-draw (Lab) HIV antibody test, and a non-reactive result at that time would rarely ever change, and retesting at three months post finishing PEP is generally not needed.

1) It's too early to test. Look, PEP is highly effective, and I presume you will collect a non-reactive result when you do the test. Stop focusing on HIV and live your life as normal in the meantime.

2) Stress and axiality can cause all sorts of physical symptoms; however, you need to see your doctor for diagnosis and treatment.

3) No. Again see your doctor and treat whatever is making you feel unwell.

4) test six weeks post finishing PEP & PrEP with a blood-draw (Lab) HIV antibody test, and a non-reactive result at that time would rarely change, and retesting at three months post finishing PEP is generally not needed.

Try to relax and stop focusing/stressing about HIV. You should fully expect a non-reactive (negative) HIV test result when you do test and, in the meantime, live your life as normal.

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2022 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.