Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:28:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 338
Total: 338

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Considering Depression meds  (Read 12548 times)

Offline tryingtostay

Considering Depression meds
« on: October 15, 2018, 08:07:34 pm »
Hello all.  Hope everyone is doing well and keeping up the fight!  Strength, to everyone :)

Well as winter closes in I can feel the depression setting in like a ton of bricks.  I just got a flu shot too and I'm experiencing a bad reaction from it, but other than that i'm trying to keep the optimism!

I need to be cautious with taking anything.  Since the infection I've learned my body tends to experience symptoms more severely than my pre-HIV days so I'm opening up a thread for discussion on peoples experience with them.  When I first was diagnosed with HIV, my first ID Dr suggested I try Zoloft.  I didn't stay on them and experienced a bad bad bottoming out.  I was doing minimal dosages like half a pill every other day (cause my body wasn't liking it) and just stopped cold turkey.   So even the littlest amount put me in a bad drop. 

Are the new class of Anti anxiety/depressants good, and how do they work? 

What has the least side effects?

Any other info would be good. 

Spring and summer of 2018 I started exercising regularly and it's helped alleviate my depression and I continue on exercising when I can.  Walking and Jogging are where I've started.  Obviously I can't do it all year round unless I join a gym though I can't financially afford it: even asked my social worker if the hospital has some kind of recreation center or gym with a pool in it.  So is getting on meds the best approach?  Are they life long?

Thanks for your time,

headed out for a walk/jog now (50*f out, weee)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:36:23 pm by tryingtostay »

Offline harleymc

Re: Considering Depression meds
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 10:40:26 pm »
The anti depressant/ anti anxiety drugs are very variable.

It can take a few goes to get one that agrees with you

Offline MarkintheDark

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 02:31:46 am »
So many ways to go with the meds.  Sounds, too, like you might be affected by SAD (seasonal affective disorder).  Good you're aware and being proactive.

Zoloft may seem to be the go-to med, but a psychiatrist is your best bet for making an intelligent, guided choice.  Personally, I went back to Prozac b/c it tends to be more energizing to my physiology.

For some really complete discussions, I'd suggest DepressionForums.org (https://www.depressionforums.org/forums/) as an excellent resource.  Completely HIV friendly.
HIV dx - 02/93
AIDS dx - 07/01
Rilpivirine/Cabotegravir guinea pig since 01/17

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 03:40:24 am »
Its good you are recognising the concern early and looking for support to act on it.

Walking and Jogging are where I've started.  Obviously I can't do it all year round unless I join a gym though I can't financially afford it: even asked my social worker if the hospital has some kind of recreation center or gym with a pool in it. 

Glad to hear the excersise helped. Managing depression rarely is a one step solution and multiple of things like excersise can help.

The winter, yeah I can see how a jog in the park is going to be a struggle. Unless you happen to be into winter sports and your area gets snow? All I can suggest is keeping your eyes peeled for any discounts on gyms over the upcoming months.

So is getting on meds the best approach?  Are they life long?

The whole "life long" thing is a bit of a myth, plenty of them on this topic. There are a few longer-term antidepressant users but its simply not the majority of people

Antidepressants are a tool, they can work but its not going to fix the circumstances that caused the initial depression, it can reduce the symptoms, rebalance the brain so to speak enabling people to work on the issues. Therapy or lifesryle changes etc etc

Are the new class of Anti anxiety/depressants good, and how do they work? 

What has the least side effects?

Any other info would be good.

I posted a while back about effectiveness on antidepressants
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=68981.msg

I found this link a handy cheatsheet on the types of antidepressants and some of the pro's and con's maybe it will help when you talk next to your doctor. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/in-depth/antidepressants/art-20046273

There are plenty of tips in the two threads ive linked at the end this post however, speak to your doctor and act sooner rather than later.

Take it easy, keep us posted on how you get on and we're here if you ever need to chat

Jim

https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=69487.0

https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=67682.0
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 03:43:49 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline hippo1010

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 06:07:52 am »
I'm not very experienced with antidepressants, but I am married to a man who has seasonal affective disorder, and he has tried different medication. For him, it was always a compromise of side effects. Some were stronger than others, and some are more manageable than others. There are always going to be side effects, and they vary from person to person. Seems to me that trying them might the best way of finding out if they work.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 06:57:14 am »
There are always going to be side effects, and they vary from person to person.

I don't think this is true at all, the lack of context to this echos rather typical scaremongering (doubt planting) tactics I've commonly heard on this topic.

Yes, some people may (not all) have noticeable side effects and if the treatment is the cause and if its not manageable than they should speak to their doctor to see if switching or different dosing is a possibility.

Again its not life long and there are plenty of modern drugs available, not to forget that depression itself can also cause physical symptoms for people that are often misunderstood/mistaken for the meds. End of the day the meds are just a tool, so people need to work closely with their doctors and therapists.

Jim

« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 07:30:12 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline redneckbossryan

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 07:56:27 pm »
I don’t want to talk about meds because SSRI or SNRI drugs are so relative to each person that what works for you won’t work for others. The common ones to consider are cypralex and celexa. However, that being said, I have SAD. Living in Vancouver BC didn’t help in the winter. What helped me between going to the gym in the winter and working, was getting a UV light. At night I would have it on beside me. My psychiatrist suggested it and it was more effective than medication. Get at least an hour or 2 of the light per day. If you work an office job get one for your desk as well.

Also get outside when it’s sunny. Even if it’s cold.

Hope that helps.

Offline tryingtostay

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 01:22:23 pm »
Thanks all for the fantastic replies and support! 

So I seen a social worker who reports my comments and issues to the psychiatrist/psychologist (bear with me I'm having memory issues currently) and I've requested to see a therapist.  I was thinking of talking to the therapist first then discussing meds but the social worker had me do a questionnaire and I am a point shy of extreme depression, so she forwarded the info to the correct person and today I was called about my prescription.  "venlafaxine (EFFEXOR) 37.5 MG tablet" once daily for a week then twice daily.  So I'm posting here before I begin anything.  I like the idea of the UV light and I kick myself for not picking one up a few years ago at Costco when I seen it, hah.  I'm currently browsing for UV lighting. 

Anyways I'm looking for a little more feedback before I start taking anything..

Hope all is well

Ciao

Offline elf

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 09:18:59 pm »
I'm taking Luvox (50 mg) and Valdoxan (25 mg) to help me sleep and to restore my cognitive functioning as a HIVpositive person.

Offline weasel

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 06:47:48 pm »
 :'(
" Live and let Live "

Offline tryingtostay

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 10:37:30 am »
I haven't gotten on any depression meds but I'm beginning to think the Odefsey is partially to blame for the depression, partially.  I'm thinking of changing meds.  Are there any meds that do not have one of the side effects of depression?

Offline Bunny

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 03:48:49 am »
I am having the same issue ( Not Seasonal ), I went fluoxetine-20mg in the morning, it is helping me a lot without any side effects.

I am trying YOGA and Meditation ( Everyday 1 Hour ) and these are gives me peace of mind.

March 2019 - CD4 - 863

Offline CircularNatural

• 🇦🇷 Joined Sept 2021
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2023, 09:39:59 pm »
I take Brintellix / Trintellix (Vortioxetine) which works better for me than classical SSRIs like escitalopram (Lexapro) or Paxil (paroxetine) which both gave me anorgasmia / low libido, while Brintellix seema to work better for me. Another option could be Viibryd (Vilazodone) which Is also newer and less side efx.
I suggest you discuss options with a Pdoc but definitely treat your depression. Take care
🇦🇷 "Hope is the only thing stronger than fear."

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2023, 03:14:37 pm »

ojo.                   Hello there!… I am glad that you are taking medication to have a better quality of life, we have to look for a way to try to live a normal life because thanks to Teh and Tae retrovirals we can make plans for the future.

When I feel down, I just think that that I have people who are leaving in worse situation than mine, that helped me a lot to keep moving on. That’s my medicine… please keep us posted…hugs

Ps. I hope you guys can understand my post, English is my second language and I am legally blind. I am dictating to my cell phone and it seems like my cell phone has. It’s on mind. AI maybe

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.