Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:41:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 211
Total: 211

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: lower cd4 count  (Read 5292 times)

Offline britchick

lower cd4 count
« on: March 03, 2013, 09:08:55 am »
I haven't posted in a wee while.....but of course I always read the forum.Its thanks to you all, i think that I've avoided another spell in hospital.

I felt a bit better at the start of feb...then rotten again!I 've had really bad sweats, nausea, non stop chesty cough...so because I couldn't take more time off work, i started using the bactrim again.Had my labs done mid feb  my cd4 count had gone down from 511 to 257.

Consultant wants to send me for a bronchoscopy?Anyone had this before?

Britchickx

Offline harleymc

Re: lower cd4 count
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 11:19:09 pm »
Big hugs to you. Sounds like you're doing it rough.

At over 200 your cd4 count is high enough that this chest infection is highly unlikely to be PCP.  Your cd4's will fluctuate pretty wildly when you're fighting off other infections. A bronchoscopy does not sound like fun.

Hope you feel better soon.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 12:15:10 am »
Sorry to hear you're not feeling well.  While PCP is often a consideration under 200, it is no guarantee.  You can still get it with higher counts.  And, isn't 200 just an average?  I mean, 200 and 257 aren't all that different, except for the AIDS designation given at 200 and below.  Of course, that is very different.  Hopefully you just have a bad chest cold, and not PCP. 

When I had pneumonia and was sick in the hospital, they did the scope.  I was knocked out and don't remember anything.  Well, that's not quite true.  I do remember waking up for a few seconds, while it was performed.  I mean, unless I was dreaming.  I woke up slightly during my wisdom teeth extraction and back surgery.  I guess I don't like staying put out.  I had no pain from the scope.  I would have never known I had it, unless there was a complication or something.  They did it to confirm the bacterial pneumonia vs PCP.

All the best!   

Offline britchick

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 07:56:20 am »
Thanks tednlou2 and harleymc!

The bronchoscopy is now scheduled for next monday!!!!!My consultant will not be doing the procedure but he has arranged for me to be a patient in his ward.

Although I dont like the sound of this op ...I wont know anything as  i will be knocked out.
Already have had aids diagnosis and PCP and CMV...just over a yr ago....I think thats why they are being so quick to get me in.
Britchickx

Offline St Ives

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 12:32:36 am »
So sorry that you are still having a shitty time after a year or so.
I remember you were not feeling so hot a while back. I've got a continuing chest infection but my doc says it's down to smoking...!
I sincerely hope you are much better very soon as you deserve some health and happiness after what you've been through.
You have always given encouragement to others and now others are thinking of you.
Get well soon dear lady.
Nov 2011 cd4,12.vl750k - 138lbs      atripla
Feb 2013 cd4,78.(3%) vl<40  - 160lbs    atripla
May 2014 cd4, 127 (6%) vl<40 -157lbs     atripla

Offline britchick

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 05:37:57 pm »
Cheers St Ives

I Hope that you are feeling ok

Britchickx

Offline mitch777

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 06:01:47 pm »
wishing you the best!
sounds like you have a good doc.
hope you get this cleared up soon! :)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline britchick

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 10:19:00 pm »
Hi!

Back at home.....no bronchoscopy as yet!!!!!!!!
Did a 4 buses, 4 hours round trip in the snow , with luggage and bloody gale force winds to get to the hospital....to find out there's  shortage of beds , ops are cancelled and  i was sent home.....I may be recalled tues or wed!!!!!!!

Im LOL now...but I wasn't a happy wee bunny yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!By the time  i got home  I was sooooo cold!!!!!!!!

Oh well tomorrow is another day!!!!!!!!

Britchickx

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 11:21:45 pm »
Did you charge them a cancellation fee?  I hate when they get all in a huff over a patient having to cancel, and some charge cancellation fees.  I waited recently for an hour, to be told the doc left early and they were sorry they didn't call me.  I was mad.  I couldn't figure out why I wasn't told, when I checked in, and why they had me waiting for an hour.  I did pull a George Costanza, and asked whether they would be paying me the cancellation fee by cash or check.  They laughed, but I was serious. 

Glad you could put it in perspective, and decide to let it go.  Things happen.  Sorry it took a four hour trip, though.  But, wouldn't they have known there was a shortage of beds and ops cancelled, well before your appointment time?  Please tell me they called you, but you missed the call.  I would have been mad, if my drive wasn't just 15 mins from my home.  Again, good you know where to choose your battles and keep all in perspective. 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 08:40:08 am »
britchick, I've had it done so many times over 7 years it's nothing. I had twilight and I wasn't fully out and even viewed my lungs. Just a note, if you are done using twilight everyone in the room will know all your little secrets. LOL

Offline britchick

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 09:42:58 am »
tednlou,

Hi! No canx fee because Im in the  UK...so  i dont have to pay...Nope had already left the house yesterday  and they didn't call my mobile Phone!!!!!!!
RapidRod

Hi!I've had a roomful of young docs looking at my bum before and the rest!!!!!!!So I think i leave my dignity at the door....and try to pick it up on the way back out of hosp.

On a happier note??!!Im just about to leave the house  again.......They have a bed!!!This time my best friend is driving me over.
No Mammoth journey a la bus!
Cheers
Britchickx

Offline britchick

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 10:41:12 am »
Ok....Im home!
I dont want to do that again!Im glad its over!!!!!Was as sick as a pig after the bronchoscopy!Oh well at least I lost 5 pounds of weight in 2 days!!!!!!!!!

Britchickx

Offline wolfter

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 10:58:35 am »
Glad to hear you're home.  I assume you're feeling much better now?

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 04:20:20 pm »
Ok....Im home!
I dont want to do that again!Im glad its over!!!!!Was as sick as a pig after the bronchoscopy!Oh well at least I lost 5 pounds of weight in 2 days!!!!!!!!!

Britchickx

So that's what I have to do to lose weight..bugger!.

I'm glad you are home, when will you get results?

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 11:48:05 pm »
Glad you're home, but sorry you are not feeling well.  Were they able to tell you anything right away, or you have to wait?  If I remember right, they had something to say right away, with mine.  We just had to wait for the culture tests to come back. 

I lost about 15 pounds in the hospital, in just about 8 days time.  Gained it back, and then some.  I remember that was the only thing I could joke about.  If I could now just force myself to take just a few bites of each meal, I would be set for bikini season.  ;)

Anyway, glad it's done, and keep us posted. 

Offline britchick

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 06:09:35 am »
Thanks everyone!

I dont know when my results will come, I dont live in a big city so the culture gets sent to the city .I wasn't really taking in what they said at the end of the bronch because I was so sleepy, but  i vaguely remember them saying it wouldn't take too long for results.I also dont know if I dreamed it or not but Im sure a nurse had to hold my hand down..maybe I panicked at the end!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

The next day My own consultant talked about bronchial lavage, looking for signs of PCP etc..so who knows?!!!!!!Anyway its over.

I have had tons of ice cream since  i came home...so there goes my 5 pounds( prob
back and then some!!!!!!!!!!!)

britchickx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.