Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:04:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773301
  • Total Topics: 66349
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 601
Total: 603

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: More HIV patients with multidrug resistance  (Read 2696 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
More HIV patients with multidrug resistance
« on: December 07, 2016, 03:46:19 am »
Intressting read.

People resistant to older medication also have problems with newer drug, study finds

http://www.webmd.com/hiv-aids/news/20161201/doctors-seeing-more-hiv-patients-with-multidrug-resistance

By Robert Preidt

HealthDay Reporter

THURSDAY, Dec. 1, 2016 (HealthDay News) -- A significant number of people with HIV have strains of the AIDS-causing virus that are resistant to both older and newer drugs, researchers report.

The researchers looked at 712 HIV patients worldwide whose infection was not controlled by antiretroviral drugs. They found that 16 percent of patients whose infection was resistant to modern drugs had HIV mutations linked with resistance to older drugs called thymidine analogues.

Among patients whose HIV had this mutation, 80 percent were also resistant to tenofovir, the main drug in most modern HIV treatment and prevention programs, the researchers reported.

The findings were published in the Nov. 30 issue of The Lancet Infectious Diseases journal.

"We were very surprised to see that so many people were resistant to both drugs, as we didn't think this was possible," study lead author Ravi Gupta, of University College London, said in a school news release.

"Mutations for thymidine analogue resistance were previously thought to be incompatible with mutations for tenofovir resistance, but we now see that HIV can be resistant to both at once. This emphasizes the need to check the genetic profile of patient's virus before prescribing first-line treatments, as they may have already developed resistance to other treatments that they did not mention having taken," Gupta said.

Drug resistance typically occurs when patients fail to take their medications as directed by their doctor.

"To prevent these multi-resistant strains from developing, we need cheap, reliable systems to assess people before treatment," he said.

What's needed, Gupta said, are easy-to-use resistance-testing kits to help screen for drug resistance before giving treatment. This would also help doctors to "monitor HIV drug resistance globally more effectively," he said.

"However, until such kits are widely available, we could test the amount of virus in the bloodstream before and after giving treatment. Although not as precise as resistance testing, this could help us to detect treatment failure earlier and switch patients to second-line drugs," he added.

If a patient's HIV becomes resistant to first-line drugs, they're given second-line drugs that cause more side effects. But many rural patients don't have access to second-line drugs, so trying to preserve the effectiveness of first-line treatments is crucial, Gupta explained.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(16)30469-8/fulltext

HIV drug resistance explained.
https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-drug-resistance
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: More HIV patients with multidrug resistance
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 05:27:06 am »
The researchers looked at 712 HIV patients worldwide whose infection was not controlled by antiretroviral drugs.
another piece of bad HIV reporting. These patients were not "worldwide" as all of the patients were from sub-Saharan Africa. If the same situation was happening in America, where many patients have TDF as part of their regimen, we would be seeing serious problems in the States. Also genotype testing is performed more regularly in the States to avoid prescribing meds in the first place that a patient would have a resistance to.

(while i can't say for sure, i would think if genotyping was finding "more HIV patients with multidrug resistance" (especially to TDF), it would be BIG news here in the States as the CDC is constantly ramping up the promotion of Truvada as PrEP)

We identified 712 patients who had viral failure with WHO-recommended, tenofovir-based first-line regimens in 20 studies across sub-Saharan Africa (table 1; appendix). Most (461 [65%]) patients were from southern Africa, with 159 (22%) patients from eastern Africa and 92 (13%) from west and central Africa. 481 (68%) of 712 infections were with HIV-1 subtype C (appendix).
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(16)30469-8/fulltext
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: More HIV patients with multidrug resistance
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 06:50:29 am »
 ;) Most reporting is bad for the majority of health or study topics if i am honest.
On news of PrEP being made available (very limited) in the UK this week we again saw "Cure" found headlines :(.

Anyhow its seem to me the writer might be confused between the study results / pre study evidence that was from mutable regions. To be honest I feel 712 is not really statistically important as the sample size is too small but that is a frequent complaint I have with studies in general if I am honest.

I should have been more clear on the report and what i found interesting

My own interest was also more sparked by the subject of the evidence before the study not so much the result, however the first media report caught my eye that lead me to reading the study and I raised my eyebrow that it was not noticed before (The true %'s are irrelevant for me from the study as said I consider the sample size is too small) but noteworthy

Evidence before this study

We did a systematic review using PubMed and Embase, searching from Jan 1, 2000, up to Aug 15, 2016, without language limitations. Manuscripts of interest were also identified from the reference lists of selected papers, clinical trials registries, and abstracts from the Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI) and International AIDS Society (IAS). We used the search terms “HIV” AND “Tenofovir” AND “thymidine analogue” OR “stavudine” OR “zidovudine” OR “AZT” OR “d4T”. We found no studies reporting the implications of previous thymidine analogue use on outcomes following tenofovir-based antiretroviral therapy (ART). One study investigated the implications of transition from thymidine analogue to tenofovir by use of a cross sectional survey in Myanmar before the introduction of tenofovir. The investigators tested viral loads in more than 4000 patients after 12 months of thymidine analogue-based ART to avoid substitutions in viraemic patients. They noted that a substantial proportion of patients were having treatment failure (13% had viral loads >250 copies per mL), in whom direct tenofovir substitution for the thymidine analogue would not be appropriate.

Added value of this study
Our results show that tenofovir-based first-line regimens are failing in a substantial proportion of patients who have evidence of previous exposure and drug resistance to older nucleoside (thymidine) analogues such as zidovudine and stavudine in sub-Saharan Africa. These individuals are likely to have developed drug resistance to the non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor as well as the cytosine analogue, and therefore have high-level resistance to at least two of the three drugs present in tenofovir-based first line ART. Our data show that these individuals with thymidine analogue mutations have lower CD4 counts and therefore are at greater risk of clinical complications than are those without previous ART exposure.

Implications of all the available evidence
Cheap and effective viral load monitoring, resistance testing, or both could prevent the transition of patients with virological failure onto tenofovir-based first-line ART and also identify individuals with pre-existing drug resistance to first line agents arising from undisclosed prior ART. These individuals could then be treated with second-line regimens.

Jim

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 06:54:01 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.