Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:22:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 675
Total: 676

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Wise Up  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Life

• Member 2005
Wise Up
« on: May 23, 2007, 10:51:15 pm »
Not sure if anyone saw the flicker “Magnolia” a few years back…  Its about how all these separate lives and experiences come flying together in the end from a twisted mess to some actual closure.   That you are simply not in control of others and in some ways, your own life.  One thing about being hiv positive, I have to work on Wising Up and getting a bit smarter in how I handle myself.   So, just give up fighting it and go with the flow…   I see this movie a bit differently now with the turn of events.   

Here is one of Aimee Mann’s songs with some notables singing along from the movie…..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsqCl2vO9xA

It's not
What you thought
When you first began it
You got
What you want
Now you can hardly stand it though,
By now you know
It's not going to stop
It's not going to stop
It's not going to stop
'Til you wise up

You're sure
There's a cure
And you have finally found it
You think
One drink
Will shrink you 'til you're underground
And living down
But it's not going to stop
It's not going to stop
It's not going to stop
'Til you wise up

Prepare a list of what you need
Before you sign away the deed
'Cause it's not going to stop
It's not going to stop
It's not going to stop
'Til you wise up
No, it's not going to stop
'Til you wise up
No, it's not going to stop
So just...give up

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: Wise Up
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 11:11:04 pm »
E-

I really love this song- in fact, most all I've heard from Aimee Mann.  The film, too.  I didn't enjoy it as much on the first go around.  Thought all of the independent scenes were brilliant, but the whole didn't capture me as well.  This was probably due to the person I saw the film with...he was totally the chick flick and cartoon sort & was not entertained at all, so that probably dampened my experience with it at first.  I've seen it twice since and find more in it each time.  I almost beat you to the punch with the song, though!  I've got a thread on her where I post songs that I have a particular attachment to, and I almost posted this one just a couple of nights ago!

Great song.  Thanks for the post!

T
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 11:16:40 pm »
Aimee Mann's father sold real estate in Richmond ("Your Mann in the Fan!") and we always used to make fun of Til Tuesday in college.  To this day I can't listen to her.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 12:17:45 am »
Philly, totally understand and it is probably just a "coincidence"  ;D  The beginning of the movie is what hooked me....  I am surprised they didn't have a character with hiv or aids in the movie... Yeah a pos Tom Cruise?? Doubt it back then....

"This is not a coincidence...... In your humble narrators opinion, oh no, this cannot be that" ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=095lHMl4EgA

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 06:12:44 pm »
I'm a total Aimee Mann fan. I have all her music, including 'Til Tuesday. I've seen her concerts. I want her music played at my funeral.

This is my Aimee Mann "I got HIV" song. Of course she probably wasn't think of HIV when she wrote it but I was thinking of it when I heard it.

Humpty Dumpty

Say you were split, you were split in fragments
and none of the pieces would talk to you
Wouldn't you want to be who you had been
well, baby I want that, too

So better take the keys and drive forever
Staying won't put these futures back together
All the perfect drugs and superheroes
wouldn't be enough to bring me up to zero

Baby you're great, you've been more than patient
saying it's not a catastrophe
but I'm not the girl you once put your faith in
just someone who looks like me

So better take the keys and drive forever

So get out while you can

Get out while you can
Baby, I'm pouring quicksand
And sinking is all I had planned
So better just go

Oh, better take the keys and drive forever

All the king's horses and all the king's men
couldn't put baby together again
All the king's horses and all the king's men
couldn't put baby together again

Here she is performing it live: http://youtube.com/watch?v=u6yYc8OFm8g

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.