Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:09:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 450
Total: 452

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Shingles suck!  (Read 9455 times)

Offline DancerBoy

Shingles suck!
« on: April 04, 2011, 12:22:56 pm »
Shingles suck hard. I hate them. I hate them very much. Grrrrrrr.
Boys are Stupid

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: Shingles suck!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 12:27:43 pm »
YES they do! I hope they clear up soon.

Offline carousel

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 12:31:19 pm »
 Look on the bright side.

You could have got AIDS instead.

Offline DancerBoy

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 12:41:33 pm »
Meh, I got that diagnosis years ago! That was easy peasy compared to this nonsense! Ha!
Boys are Stupid

Offline littleprince

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 01:09:32 pm »
Maybe that could be the way of breaking the HIV+ test results in the future. "You've got AIDS, but just be glad you don't have shingles... those things are real bastards"

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 01:21:37 pm »
You poor guy, my deepest condolences. Been there twice and hated every minute of it. One thing I found that worked, was to freeze a wash cloth and dab the skin quickly, when I wanted to sooth that itching. It seemed to work much better than digging my nails in and ripping the sores from my body. But then, that's just me. Best of luck.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 02:52:16 pm »
Ow, ow, OW!!!! And OUCH!

Feel better soon, Danny.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 02:55:01 pm »
Shingles! EEEEEP!

They are downright nasty.

I hope you feel beter very soon.

Where did you get the outbreak?

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline DancerBoy

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 03:12:28 pm »
thanks y'all... started on my back and wrapped around to my chest... I'm at about day 10, so hopefully they'll be done soon... They gave me valtrex to speed things up some and some nuerontin to deaden the nerves a bit so I don't feel it all that much... Its annoying...
Boys are Stupid

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 03:13:02 pm »
Hi Danny, glad to see you posting honey....awfully sorry you have the shingles.  They do, indeed SUCK.

Going through a lot of stress or pressure?  That is a major trigger.....

Hope they clear up very soon.

Many hugs, my friend....

Alan  :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline DancerBoy

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 03:13:29 pm »
thanks for the tip Joe, I'll try it out...
Boys are Stupid

Offline DancerBoy

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 03:14:24 pm »
Not really Alan... My numbers dipped really bad when  atripla failed....I'm thiking maybe immune reconstitution?
Boys are Stupid

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 07:08:26 pm »

I hope you feel better soon brohamlet.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 01:49:00 pm »
Having had them four times now, I can deeply empathize.

Just as an aside, why were you given Neurontin instead of an Opioid? When you're suffering, the point is to suffer as minimally as possible, right?
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline DancerBoy

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 06:45:44 pm »
Yes. I am allergic to Vicodin and percocet is super controlled. So the gave me neurontin. It kinda works. It still hurts but it's bareable.
Boys are Stupid

Offline JJDF

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 07:47:51 pm »
I had shingles 2 years ago in the same area you do (back and chest).  Given Valtrex but no pain meds.  The actual blisters went away fairly quickly, but I had pain for quite some time afterward - maybe 2 or 3 months to varying degrees.  What I finally did was buy a back brace wrap thing from the drug store (in the area where the wrist wraps are) and put that on to go to sleep.  Just keeping my skin covered and a little compressed kept the nerve pain from keeping me up all night.  That and a good dose of benadryl! 

To this day I still get the occasional twinge and wonder, Oh boy.......the only shingles I want are on my roof.

Best wishes!

Offline DancerBoy

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 12:58:54 pm »
Me thinks they're finally ending their course!! They're fading and not really hurting as much... Yay! Just yesterday I was wondering if it would ever end!
Thanks everyone for your tips and well wishes
Boys are Stupid

Offline DancerBoy

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 11:24:47 pm »
Question for y'all: is it possible to get shingles back to back. They gave me valtrex and Tylenol and neurontin. They were miserable for about a week then they started crusting and scanning and fading. I went to tale a shower today and it looks like there may be some fresh ones. They're a brighter red than the rest which have turned a lovely burgundy. Can I really be getting more? Is this even possible?
Thanks y'all
Boys are Stupid

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 05:19:15 am »
Hi Danny. Yes, unfortunately it is possible to get shingles more than once, although I don't recall hearing of anyone ever getting back-to-back episodes. Doesn't mean it isn't possible though.

If you seriously think this may be a recurrence, get back on the valtrex ASAP! If it isn't actually a recurrence but simply some of the spots healing a bit differently than the others, the valtrex isn't going to do you any harm. BUT, if it is a recurrence, you may find it's not as bad if you get back on the valtrex. The sooner you start valtrex (or other form of acyclovir) the better.

I had an episode of shingles back in the spring of 2004 and when it was healed, my doctor gave me a few boxes of acyclovir at the shingles dosage, just in case it came back. I remember I ended up posting it off to Lisa before they hit the use-by date and she was able to in turn post them off to someone who was coming down with shingles. I'm glad they got used and helped someone before they expired.

I currently take prophylactic acyclovir for herpes (I didn't back in '04-'05) and I've been led to believe that this can also have a prophylactic effect on shingles. Shingles (and chickenpox which causes shingles, aka herpes zoster) and herpes simplex (aka cold sores) are both in the herpes family of viruses. Acyclovir and the other drugs in the acyclovir family (such as valtrex) work on both herpes simplex and herpes zoster.

Good luck Danny. I hope it's not a recurrence, but if it is, get yourself back on the acyclovir/valtrex ASAP.

Hugs (gentle ones!)
Ann

PS - if you haven't already, you may want to read through the Herpes zoster Lesson. You may even want to read through the Herpes simplex Lesson as well, for comparison.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 05:30:59 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 07:53:45 am »
Question for y'all: is it possible to get shingles back to back.

I'm guessing your on the final stretch, with the shingles.  When I had them, they lasted at least 14 days, but it can go longer, sometimes up to 4 weeks.

Also, I did have them back to back the last time. I had about a week and a half reprieve from them, and then they reappeared one more time, but nowhere near as painful, and there was also no blistering.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline DancerBoy

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 11:24:05 pm »
Yeah, I went back to the doctor and she prescribed more valtrex at the shingles dosage for a week and then prophylactic doses for two months.

Damn. I'm awesome.

I hate my life. Lol...
:-/
Que sera sera...
Boys are Stupid

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 09:57:25 am »
Hey Danny, glad you got it sorted. Hope your new outbreak is mild and heals quickly.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline DancerBoy

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 10:03:50 am »
I hope so too. I think it may have been a little flare at the end of it's course. It wasn't painful just really. Now that I've restarted everything, I just feel a little tingle every so often :-)

I hate that this shit is unpredictable. I'm probably gonna live the rest of my life in fear. Lol.
In conclusion: shingles suck!

Thanks everyone for your stories, tips, and well wishes.

-D
Boys are Stupid

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 10:10:23 am »
I just feel a little tingle every so often :-)

Here's hoping the next time you feel tingly, it's in a place where tingles are pleasant. ;)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 12:07:19 pm »
Oh DanDan,

Sorry you having to deal with those bastards! Now get rid of them so we can go do Coffee :)

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline DancerBoy

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2011, 08:15:17 pm »
Quote from: WillyWump link=topic=37229.msg465981#msg465981 date=
 Now get rid of them so we can go do Coffee :)

[/quote

Will do!
Boys are Stupid

Offline DancerBoy

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 08:16:01 pm »
Obviously, I'm awesome at the quote thing too.
Boys are Stupid

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 08:29:18 pm »
Obviously, I'm awesome at the quote thing too.

roflmao! very nice.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.