Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:09:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 333
Total: 333

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New Poz guy on Rollarcoaster (please slow down)  (Read 4237 times)

Offline thelovedones

New Poz guy on Rollarcoaster (please slow down)
« on: March 17, 2011, 10:49:15 am »
Hi Everybody,

This is my first post to the forum. My stats should appear in my autosignature but not sure if those are showing up so I'll post here below:

2/26/11 – Diagnosis at State Dept of Health (anonymous testing center)
2/28/11 – Oral Swab Positive diagnosis and confirmatory blood test taken
3/4/11 – Confirmed HIV Positive diagnosis; blood drawn for T-cell count, VL, and medical profile
3/11/11 – VL: 192765, T-cell: 195
3/16/11 – Prescribed Atripla and take pill 1 at bedtime
3/17/11 – Groggy, sad morning, no other noticeable side effects

I guess I'm a better responder to posts than poster of posts, but here goes:

I'm 40, I had not been tested in many years until I got an email from a buddy that he tested poz in January so I ran out somewhat impulsively and got tested and since it's been the most excruciating 3 weeks of my life. Even though my numbers are pretty bad (AIDS diagnosis), I had not had any of the symptoms that come along with infection; I look and feel like I always have. I have been sick maybe 2 times a year at most, but it was usually sinusitis or bronchitis and went away with antibiotics.  I also have a partner who is negative (at least so far he is negative). I'm hoping, praying that never, ever putting my dick in either his mouth or butt has meant that this is still the case for him, but we're taking everything one day at a time.

Aside from the initial shock and waves of sadness and worry, I've tried to remain active and not live entirely in my feelings: I joined GMHC, meeting with a therapist on Tuesday AND most of all I started Atripla last night and I will be documenting that in another post for what it's worth to people.

So, that's me. Not sure if I went on too long or not.
3/4/11 – Confirmed HIV Positive diagnosis; blood drawn for T-cell count, VL, and medical profile
3/16/11 – Prescribed Atripla and took Pill 1
4/29/11 - VL: 413, T-cell: 311
6/28/11 - VL: UNDETECTABLE, T-Cell: 437

"I've seen this happen in other people's lives and now it's happening in mine"

Offline brenner

Re: New Poz guy on Rollarcoaster (please slow down)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 10:59:03 am »
hi.  sorry you have to be here, but glad that you are.  it will be ok.  i just got diagnosed myself last month, and i am also on atripla.  so far, so good.  my numbers are pretty bad, but i am really focusing on how they will turn out in a month from meds. 

there is nothing you can do to turn back time, so you have to just accept the fact and be thankful that you caught it before you got really really sick.  you will be fine...and there are amazing resources and people here who will be only happy to tell you their stories.  you found the right place here.

good luck...not that you are going to need it....
Feb 23. 2011  poz diagnosed
Feb 28.  cd4 257, vl 262400, %21
Mar 14.  start Atripla
May 18.  cd4 639, vl 690, %33
Aug 19.  cd4 583, vl 60, %38
Nov 18.  cd4 450, vl UD, %38
Feb.19   cd4 649, vl UD, %35
Jun 08.  cd4 524, vl UD, %34
Sep 16.  cd4 567, vl UD, %35
Dec 02.  cd4 592, vl UD, %35
Mar 10.  cd4 688, vl UD, %35

Offline thelovedones

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 11:14:38 am »
So while you were writing to me, I was writing to you in another post. How sweet!

This forum has been a godsend because everytime the tears well up and my throat and jaw begin to tighten, I remind myself of a few things that I haven't yet written down:

1. I am going to be better than I was before my diagnosis
2. I could have found out about my disease by becoming terribly sick
3. I am living in a time where HIV is truly managable; that isn't just lip service; it's true
4. I have people who love me and whom I love and whom only wish me the best

I'm sure there's other stuff I have to remind myself of, but I can't think of it right now.

Is you're signature a Jerri Blank quote?

Offline brenner

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 11:24:19 am »
not sure about the quote, i heard it from someone a while ago, and it just seemed appropriate.  You are going to be just fine.  my doctor told me that any oi's (opportunic infections) like ks will likely dissipate once you start treatment.  and yes...its going to be hard at the moment, but i have to tell you, after time, it gets better.  i dont think about as often as i did when i first found out.  i am just trying to just move along and be thankful that i am undergoing treatment.  you are going to turn out just fine.
Feb 23. 2011  poz diagnosed
Feb 28.  cd4 257, vl 262400, %21
Mar 14.  start Atripla
May 18.  cd4 639, vl 690, %33
Aug 19.  cd4 583, vl 60, %38
Nov 18.  cd4 450, vl UD, %38
Feb.19   cd4 649, vl UD, %35
Jun 08.  cd4 524, vl UD, %34
Sep 16.  cd4 567, vl UD, %35
Dec 02.  cd4 592, vl UD, %35
Mar 10.  cd4 688, vl UD, %35

Offline TakingAChance

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 07:10:55 am »
Hi and welcome to the Ride. Roller Coaster pretty much say's it all. I have been positive for about the same length of time you have been. I'm glad you found out before landing in the Hospital. 20 yrs. ago. My partner had the same experience. Through another medical condition he found out he had AIDS not just positive. We were in a relationship where we didn't practice any safe sex. he was worried he infected me...He didn't. It's harder to get then people realize, but it is also easier to get the less you prevent it? I spent 30 yrs. dodging the bullit. I had 3 partners with AIDS, 2 of them I had been with in a full relationship before we found out. I tested negative every year until this year. One of my partners left the relationship because of the difference Neg/Poz, but he realized later that never had to happen. It's a personal decision huh? I practiced safe sex measures as much as I know how, but some how it became my turn to have the bullet hit me in the eyes. Anyway, I am glad to read about your experience with Atripla(other post of yours). I will be going on it soon enough. You must be in NY? I'm guessing from the GMHC. A Great place to get all the help you need. And you found this forum and web site. It has been a God send to me in many ways. Thanks for sharing. I'm here for you. Justin
Fasten Your Seat Belts...It's going to be a Bumpy Ride!

Offline thelovedones

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 03:36:29 pm »
Best of luck to you with getting by and with starting on Atripla, Justin. You sound like you have your head on straight. Making it normal and talking about it are key. Don't isolate. That's my advice. Not that you asked for it. LOL

GMHC is a great resource and much of what they offer is free. A lot of very helpful and kind people there.

Good luck
P

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.