Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:11:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 491
Total: 493

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Dentist .... dum dum dummmmmm  (Read 5132 times)

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
The Dentist .... dum dum dummmmmm
« on: September 11, 2006, 12:13:46 pm »
Well, it was far less of an ordeal than I had made it out ot be in my head. Always glad when that occurs but it's great to be prepared.

I was returning to a dentist I had used a number of years ago and so the first thing I had to do was fill in the obligatory "what's new with your health" form while I waited for my appointment. Filled it in and handed it to the receptionist. A few minutes later, without barely scratching the surface of that "The Greying of AIDS" from an early August edition of Time, I was whisked away by Tracey for my oral exam. She was very cool about everything and I let her do the talking ... you can pretty much gather why. Hello. I'm at the dentist - read - there's stuff in my mouth.

After a very thorough exam, the dentist came in to give me a once over and he asked about my health in a very calm and reassuring way. It feels good to be in an educated position when being asked about drugs and on-going stuff. Thank you AIDSMeds for enlightening me  8)

Another visit in a few weeks to complete what was started today. All in all, no complaints - about the level of care or my oral health. Why can't everything in life be this matter-of-fact? being poz sure gives new appreciations for things. It's like being reborn, in a way, or having new glasses. Life is purty darn good.

Offline Beatz4me

Re: The Dentist .... dum dum dummmmmm
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 12:40:32 pm »
I'm completelywith you..Itz amazing, all the things we need to re-think about...I was so not looking forward to disclosing to my dentist. I think the anticipated reaction is almost always worse than reality.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 01:29:26 am »
Hello Wellington,

It is good to hear that it was smooth sailing for you at the Dentist. It is also a good thing that your Dentist is now aware of your status.

Have the BEST Day!

Offline joemutt

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 08:31:20 am »
Yesterday I was at the dentist's, I don't mind disclosing to the medical profession since they are paid by me. But he told me he needed to pull a wisdom tooth to access the tooth next to it for a root canal  >:(  >:( , but today my doctor told me not to do it before flying long haul (An you were right!) So I'll have it done in Europe,
my hope was to go through life with the three (!) fillings I had until now but it is not to be. The last year my mouth's health has changed; taste, cold, hot, gums more vulnerable,  anybody else on meds have this impression?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 09:05:05 am »
Hi Jan,

I'm glad you talked to your doc about having that done before flying - did he say NO for the reason I suspected?

Don't forget to make sure they give you antibiotics after the extraction. ;)

Ann
(with apologies to Mr Wellies for the slight hijack)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline joemutt

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 09:56:18 pm »
Hi An! He thought it would be painful with the cabin pressure and that the wound might open  :-X Jan

Offline wellington

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 01:11:30 am »
I haven't really noticed much of anything in my mouth changing with the advent of medication. My sense of smell is all over the map, however. I think this occurred long before meds, though. Food still tastes great but for some reason I can't smell fruity things, like flowers, and well, uhm, fruit - the real variety. The good news is that my bf's overindulgence in cologne no longer bothers me either :D

Offline Just John

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 07:48:07 pm »
Phew! I'm glad that everything went well for you, I really hate those guys. The fact is I'm terrified about disclosing anything to mine, I know that I really should but I'm also certain that he'll freak - he just seems like that kind of guy. I also have the other issue of not being certain of finding another dentist if he does flip and with the rate that my teeth are falling out right now I can't do without a dentist, does yours do home visits? LOL.

John.
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 09:07:50 pm »
Whoo Hooo!!  Ill trade you for my wisdom tooth removal in a week. Game?

Offline wellington

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 05:41:59 pm »
Hey Eric. make some room in your mouth before the procedure, hun :)

No, John. My dentist doesn't make house calls but it's standard procedure at the practice to confirm health details before each visit. I'm suprised that hasn't caught on elsewhere. They seemed very well prepared for my disclosure. It was very matter-of-fact but considerate and compassionate. it was far better, thankfully, than I had anticipated would be the case.

Offline Just John

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 08:46:37 pm »
Hmmm, I lie! :o
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

Offline Bartro

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 11:06:17 pm »
Shortly before my diagnosis all of my root canals went bad.  That's six in total.  All had to be extracted.  I have few molars left.  My dentist "chewed" me out royally and accused me of poor hygiene.  I don't know if HIV was the cause or not.  I'm thinking of getting implants but don't know if it's something that should be considered having HIV.  Has anyone else had them done or have any information? 
Rusty

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 03:22:34 am »
Hi W,

Rather enjoyed your post, I can sleep through a root canal.  Being on the Funding Allocation Working Group this year, we were faced with delegating enough RWCA funds to keep all services paid and open to people living with HIV/AIDS.  We (FAWG) were faced with decisions on how much money to allocate to an array of services and critized for cutting funds for medical care to put in for oral health.

What we actually did was take the MAI funds which are earmarked for Persons of Color, put those funds in Primary Medical Care and took the same amount from RWCA Title I funds because the dental clinic does not track the CD4 or Viral Loads of patients, which is a requirement of MAI fund usage.  Using MAI funds in dental would have created a need for additional personnel to track improvements and used up the entire years entitlement and provided fewer services.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.