Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:24:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 336
Total: 337

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cost of Haart internationally  (Read 7169 times)

Offline darnedfool

Cost of Haart internationally
« on: December 21, 2013, 09:11:49 am »
Hi all. I need to start Haart therapy, and don't have insurance. I travel around doing teaching contracts in Asia, and as I am of no fixed abode I don't qualify for any national healthcare program. I will have to pay for my meds at my own expense. Where can I get haart meds for the lowest cost? If it is cost effective I will actually fly to wherever I can find meds cheaply and buy a whole years supply.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm new here so have no idea of costs involved.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Cost of Haart internationally
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 09:20:15 am »
Welcome to the forum . Here is a resource guide that can help . http://www.aidsmap.com/e-atlas .

Thailand has good access to medications as well as India .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline darnedfool

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 06:14:58 pm »
Thank you Jeff.

If anyone has personal experience of buying their ARVs abroad to save money I would be very interested to hear more. Thanks.

Offline ratcat

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 09:16:02 am »
     I live in Thailand and the health care available at the private hospitals is excellent.  You can do well with public hospitals as well, but be smart, be informed and ask questions.  I purchase real branded Atripla for about $105 dollars per month at Bangkok Hospital.  Bkk Hospital is a chain of very respected, well equipped hospitals with excellent staff.  It's not as expensive as it looks.   The Thai Red Cross Anonymous Clinic on Rama 4 in BKK is the best resource in SE Asia and you can get most ARV's there for very good prices( even cheaper than what I pay).  I hope this helps. 

Offline darnedfool

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 10:25:03 pm »
Thank you ratcat, I appreciate the info. Is the Atripla all you need, or do you need additional meds as well? Also can you buy several months supply at a time? I would need to do this as I will spend several months of the year in places where the meds would be far more expensive.

Offline darnedfool

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 10:40:57 pm »
...and thanks, hearing figures like that makes me feel a LOT better. I had heard other figures on the cost of ARVs which I simply would not be able to afford.

Offline ratcat

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 11:31:34 am »
Sorry for the late response. I have gotten a 4 month supply from BKK Hospital before.  My ID Doc claims to order the stuff for me, so if you would need a larger supply be sure to let them know beforehand.  All I take/need is Atripla as it is a combination therapy.  It is produced in Canada I believe.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:34:45 am by ratcat »

Offline darnedfool

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 08:04:14 pm »
Hi ratcat - can you recommend me a doctor in Bangkok? Do you have an email address or contact details of your doctor or any other you recommend? If possible could you send me a private message?

And thank you for your help, I appreciate it!

Offline Pozdudesh

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 11:04:19 am »
check www.bumrungrad.com  I personally go there 2times a year to see doc Mattha na(don't know if I spell it right..check all the listed docs starts with M on the website:P ,she is a great motherly woman with lot of knowledge about HIV.
You can get Atripla there ..is about 140usd per month ..there is also generic version available in Red Cross BKK ...is about 60usd per month .If you have more questions, feel free to PM me.

Offline Pozdudesh

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 11:08:02 am »
btw ,in the bumrungrad hospital..I had 12months supply once..without any problem ...Red Cross ,you need to prescription to get meds there...I heard 6months supply max ...

Offline darnedfool

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 07:36:11 pm »
Thank you Pozdudesh, I'll make an appointment with her.

Offline NYCguy

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 03:02:55 pm »
Hi there, my friend has recently returned to BKK and is taking Teevir (generic Atripla) but is having high blood pressure (possibly related) and other side effects.  I've been trying to figure out with him if Stribild or some version is available, or another option.  He is concerned about cost.  Does anyone here know of newer alternatives to Atripla in BKK?

Also, what are the ramifications of this:  http://hivfoundation.com/article/thailands-new-anti-hiv-drug-policy

Are the free drugs really available and what are they?
Thanks!!!
11/9/06 = #$%^&!
sometime early Dec 2006:
CD4 530 20%/VL >250,000 (&*$$%!!)
started Reyataz300mg/Norvir/Truvada 12-27-06.
1/30/07 CD4 540 30%/VL <400
4/07 CD4 600+ 33%/VL <50
6/9/07 CD4 720 37%/VL <50
10/15/07 CD4 891 (!) %? VL <50
1/2010 CD4 599 (37%) VL<50 (drop due to acute HCV)
9/2010 - looks like HCV is gone for good! And I'm finally drinking again, thank GOD
2013 - considering a switch to Stribild. but I love my Kidneys (but I hate farting all the time!)...
June 2013 - switched to Stribild.  so far so good...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.