Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:02:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773214
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 457
Total: 460

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Are vegan diets okay for HIV?  (Read 35233 times)

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
Re: Are vegan diets okay for HIV?
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2015, 06:43:27 pm »
Ah, I hadn't thought of that phrase in that way. I meant "lying to themselves" in terms of "I can just go on living this pretend life, sneaking around like it's something shameful I have to hide, having my Show Family, and eeeeverything will work out fine", know what I mean?

My family have mainly come around, over the years, even my fundamentalist parents. That had a lot to do with having met The Woman of My Dreams, whom they adore, and having a child with her, whom they adore, so at last they seem to recognize that "it's okay, he's NOT really gay!" Which, to be honest, upsets me. Like you said, okay to be HIV+, but not gay. What a world! My aunts have been pretty good, as have many of my cousins (I'm half-Cajun, so it's a BIG Catholic family, even though my mom "turned Baptist" when she married my Baptist father), but my two siblings still won't even speak to me. Nor about me. It's like I don't exist anymore, as far as they're concerned. That crushes me, every time I think of it, including now.
Richie "R2". the Rocket Surgeon

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2015, 06:56:27 pm »
I firmly believe that there is a part of me that allowed myself to become infected.  It's a long story, but my experiences as a child, left me with enormous abandonment issues, so I tried to be as pleasing as possible to everyone.  Deep inside, I knew that I would have to come out and by becoming poz, ALL the truth came out.

It's like knowing I needed a major jolt to blow me out of the closet...  I just couldn't place the bomb directly.  HIV became my catalyst... the good and a world of hurt.

Joe

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2015, 06:58:06 pm »
Joe - This is some pretty deep stuff. I'm on parole so I can't, and I don't even know if you do, but I think this kind of conversation would best be had over a beer and a hookah-full of kush. Wow. Meanwhile, just... hugs, man. Hugs.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2015, 07:17:17 pm »
It's not so much as deep, as simply a reflection of my life.  It took me a very long time to see myself as I really am and I share my world, so that other people will realize that we all have our issues.  With any luck, my experience helps to ease the pain of others, who, for no other reason, know they are not alone.  I'm a firm believer in knowledge is power.  The more we know, the less we have to fear.

Joe

Offline wolfter

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2015, 08:04:23 pm »
So sorry for usurpng this thread.I thoiught I was being respectful on something I had/have a little knowleddge about. 

Modified to add that i WILL demenish each and every person who thought it cool to deride others.  Been here for a while and this beyond what I  comprehend. This entire thread makes me feel like a fraud

I won't let any door hit me. 

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:16:02 pm by wolfter »
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2015, 08:45:30 pm »
Wolfter - Man I understand where you're coming from, and I appreciate that you tried to rein in the hostile attitude of Keepstrong, but when someone says something like this:

Vegans are extreme because it is extreme, the murdering of innocent animals. what right do humans have to kill and eat them.

I could go on and on but there isn't point on me wasting my time because Your deluded and need to open your mind up and i guess your past the age for making changes, i will let other people make there mind up. thank you

...you can expect me to react with verbal counterattack. They don't get to drop bombs like "murder" for this subject any more than they do for anti-abortion-rights conversations or anti-HIV+ persons conversations (I've seen both, online and in person), and then expect people not to counterattack. If they're going to call me a murderer, I'm going to point out when they do it in what sounds/reads like a third grade education. Especially when they just tortured-and-abused the word "science" moments before... a pet peeve of mine.

What I can't understand is why you are so upset. I get that you seem to have Vegan beliefs, but you also obviously aren't the type to belittle people for not having the same beliefs. We didn't and won't attack you simply for voicing your beliefs. You seem like a nice person, and it's no one's intent to run you off, only to find out why you're so upset about this. I wish you would explain.

By the way, good use of "usurping." Underused and most excellent word. :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:49:27 pm by Richie_R2 »

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2015, 09:39:29 pm »
I think vegans are very compassionate people and although I'm not one, I've tried it and just couldn't shake off my desire for meat.. Whats most upsetting is the way these animals tortured to death before hitting the supermarkets..

"Warning, Do not watch if the torturing of animals upsets you"..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oTCA9V3eNs

I remember in another thread how people got up in arms over circumcision, so its understandable vegans having this view about animals.

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2015, 11:29:47 pm »
Almost - If you see my earlier posts, you'll see I'm in total agreement with you (and with Vegans) on the horrors of our meat industry. Part of my old career as an environmental scientist / field biologist was to analyze the aquatic environs for impact based on runoff from those facilities. Didn't even get to go inside the buildings, and just the sounds and smells are enough to leave lingering nightmares, on occasion. However, I consider it a reason to utterly and immediately reform the system in its entirety, not a reason to abolish the overall practice... rather like my views on prison, come to think of it.

Offline shaunsag

• TAKING IT ONE DAY AT A TIME
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2015, 09:33:16 pm »
As a vegan have you cleared your closet out of leather shoes, belts, etc.? And don't forget to check all of your beauty regimen products for animal testing!
My grandmother who lives with me is a vegan, and she has plenty of leather materials in her room, she is not a animal rights activist, she is just a 100% vegan, Seventh Day Adventist. :)
CD4 Count  05/20/2015     272
CD4 COUNT 07/08/2015    272
  Cholesterol Level  05/20/2015     127
  HCT (Hematocrit)         
  HDL Cholesterol  05/20/2015      27
  HGB (Hemoglobin)  05/20/2015      11.1
  HIV Viral Load  05/20/2015   13180
  LDL Cholesterol  05/20/2015      64
  Triglycerides  05/20/2015     182

Offline wolfter

« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2015, 03:24:25 pm »

What I can't understand is why you are so upset. I get that you seem to have Vegan beliefs, but you also obviously aren't the type to belittle people for not having the same beliefs. We didn't and won't attack you simply for voicing your beliefs. You seem like a nice person, and it's no one's intent to run you off, only to find out why you're so upset about this. I wish you would explain.

I'll try to state this eloquently without posting so quickly that I'm ashamed of my own spelling again.  ;)  What I had an issue with is that people were belittling another poster's beliefs.  He might not have been gracious in his wording, but I found the comments over the top. 

You don't have to believe in others' ideologies, but shouldn't we learn to respect them?  I guess seeing a bunch of homos making fun of something they don't believe in just riled me a bit.  :)  What could have been a respectful debate/conversation turned ugly for me. 

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2015, 03:50:17 pm »
Yep, that's what I got from it. The carnivores going straight for the throat. The OP asking a simple question, turned to blood-sport.

I've worked in the restaurant industry for years and have never found vegans to be the caricature many assume. Most call ahead to see if you can do vegan, but don't seem put off if you can't. I'm not vegan (too lazy) but I do think it makes the planet a healthier place.

Offline initforlife

« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2015, 04:26:27 pm »
Just so y'all know I was only making humor with food not the person! I love y'all here and if you can't joke about food or anything else . then world Is a lot sadder then I thought.. I don't have many days I laugh anymore but once in awhile I see or read something that does make  , but honestly if you thought it was against you personally then I say I'm sorry !
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2015, 04:32:32 pm »
Vegans are extreme because it is extreme, the murdering of innocent animals. what right do humans have to kill and eat them.

I could go on and on but there isn't point on me wasting my time because Your deluded and need to open your mind up and i guess your past the age for making changes, i will let other people make there mind up. thank you

What got me was Keepstrong's statements in earlier posts about meat being toxic to humans and that humans were herbivores - neither of which are true.  Add to that is desire to "convince" others to go vegan and then this quote, which showed me that he has no openness to others.  I tried to be respectful of his choice, but pointed out that he needn't try to convert others and that he really needs to not change facts to fit his view.

Granted - others probably did go over the top, but you have to admit that there is little more annoying than someone spinning the truth to try and convince others that their way isn't only, the best, it's really the only way.

BTW -- it wasn't the OP that set this off -- he started this thread and last posted in Jan.  it was Keepstrong who took the more aggressive, "you're deluded" if you can't see why eating meat is bad, stance.  It's his militancy that, I believe, smacked folks the wrong way.  Be vegan if you want -- but let others eat as they choose.

Mike

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2015, 04:44:18 pm »
I hear you, Wolfter. I think we've all made it pretty clear, if not at first, that we do not have a problem with Vegans or vegetarianism, and most of us even support it (including me) as a lifestyle choice. Me, I simply relayed my firsthand experience with other deliberately cruel statements Vegans have made to me, in their fanatical zeal, enough to give me a bad taste for the "religion" in general. I feel the same way about Christianity, thus my use of the term religion. If people want to dedicate their lives to it, I respect and even admire that, but the instant they start to attack or insult me because I do not share that belief, I will retaliate in kind. Simple as that. Fundamentalist Christians are particularly bad about saying nasty things to nonbelievers like me, then getting all butt-hurt when I say much less cruel things to them in return. It's called the Martyr Complex:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyr_complex Quote: "In psychology a person who has a martyr complex, sometimes associated with the term victim complex, desires the feeling of being a martyr for his/her own sake, seeking out suffering or persecution because it either feeds a psychological need, or a desire to avoid responsibility. In some cases, this results from the belief that the martyr has been singled out for persecution because of exceptional ability or integrity." (emphasis mine).

What I had an issue with is that people were belittling another poster's beliefs.  He might not have been gracious in his wording, but I found the comments over the top. 

Wait, what?! He wasn't "gracious in his wording"? He called us all murderers (!!!), and was extremely unkind in his phrasing overall. You should have been defending us, Wolfter, not him. Being a Vegan doesn't give anyone a right to attack others, nor does it make it an attack on you if I counterattack that person. I am glad you're a Vegan. Some of my favorite dishes ever cooked for me were made by Vegan chefs (oh, how I still fantasize about that Vegan carrot cake, made with no egg, no sugar... and a tofu frosting that was to die for!), and I hope to have more of the same in the future. I myself go one or two days a week where I deliberately cut out animal products and focus on fresh vegetables and fruits and greens; I made a veggie-and-peppers stirfry last night that was to die for! :)

Hope you're feeling better after your fall. I'm sorry you got hurt, but the telling of it in the other thread made me smile for a solid hour. You are your own pratfall instructor! :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 04:46:24 pm by Richie_R2 »

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2015, 05:03:53 pm »
Sorry for the length of that. And for how serious I get about this... which makes me verbose.

Final note: I object to "murderer" for more than the obvious reason, as it's the main accusation made in court of a Poz person accused of non-disclosure (he was trying to MURDER the victim...) and I'm really touchy about it as I would never harm any person not trying to harm me first, plus as a scientist by training and profession prior to arrest, and still by philosophy, telling me I am closed-minded for disagreeing with someone is one of the most unkind things you can say to me. Period.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2015, 05:11:53 pm »
Goodness gracious (as granny would have said), thought we were finally getting past it.  I've had many people here I care about make funny comments; eat a burger already and such.  It means nothing if  tempered with humor, love and understanding.

Being assigned to manage the kitchen at the post has been fun.  Everything from learning that if you eat meat, if shouldn't be recognizable to allowing bloody slabs of meat be served.  :)

I don't make opinions and have never impressed upon others my dietary beliefs.  Actually, it has been the other way around and I've never derided them and mostly and they reciprocate.  I have seen our salad sales rise.  Granted, I discount them a tad and throw a little animal parts on it.  But it goes well. 

As you all can tell, I'm not allowing this to piss me off again thereby ruining a great evening.

I relaxed with my evening meal wondering just how much of a jerk I am.  :)

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:29:02 pm by wolfter »

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2015, 05:25:20 pm »
Good! Wolfter, you have a great evening. :)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2015, 05:32:08 pm »
I'm certainly not vegan.  I would have to rid my closets of too much.

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2015, 05:39:15 pm »
Oh. Sorry! Vegetarian, then? That's a horse of a different color, as they say.

But we'd still love you, whichever you were. And now I want to make some food and bathe while eating it. That's a great idea!

Offline wolfter

« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2015, 05:51:33 pm »
You still don't get it?  It isn't what I believe but rather responses in the manner that I found beyond rude.  And yeah, it is time for me clock out. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2015, 06:06:32 pm »
Long before this thread ever happened I was hoping to find a place in Memphis that served this . http://www.madmeatgenius.com/2010/02/roasted-pig-head.html

There is nothing wrong with eating meat and yes … I want to eat the face off a pig and sample his eyeballs . There is nothing wrong with being a vegan either .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2015, 06:11:43 pm »
Wolf - slow down, read again. Of course I get it. I never failed to get that you were interjecting on a general principle. What *I* objected to was that you called his stuff "worded badly" when he was using the most venomous things I could even imagine to say to someone, unless you added "baby" to "murderer", yet making fun of his grammar was somehow beyond the pale? That's why I said you should have defended us, not him. I did not attack him for his beliefs. I did not judge him for his beliefs. All I did was tell personal stories of encounters with zealots of that particular stripe... and was trying to express my delight that you were also a Vegan (so I thought) and yet able to not speak as a zealot.

In other words, I am saying that I don't judge anyone simply for belief. Whether or not you're vegan or vegetarian or a 100% carnivore, I don't care. I. Don't. Care!

I love, respect, and treat with kindness all people who are kind and thoughtful and broad-minded; I counterattack anyone who uses words as weapons of cruelty. The responses were "in the manner" of the attack that began it, and far, far less "rude" or cruel.

So, WHAT THE FORK ARE YOU SO SENSITIVE ABOUT?! Did you really expect us to let someone get away with that, in the name of "play nice, kids!", when they are calling us closed-minded murderers? Seriously!?! That's why I asked you to explain your personal level of sensitivity, since I didn't think it stemmed simply from your food-related beliefs. You're not going to sit there and condescend to me, "you still don't get it", because I won't play nice with people who are vicious to me, and expect me to feel bad because you are sensitive.

Sigh. This exhausts me. Now I really need food and a bath.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2015, 07:01:58 pm »
I'm exhausted by this thread and the constant back and forth.  Let's just drop the subject... please.

Joe

Offline wolfter

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2015, 07:09:53 pm »
 ;D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:15:56 pm by wolfter »

Offline wolfter

« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2015, 07:17:00 pm »
I'm exhausted by this thread and the constant back and forth.  Let's just drop the subject... please.

Joe

is this as member or a moderator?

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2015, 07:32:11 pm »
is this as member or a moderator?

It's as both.  Personally, I think some of you are beating a dead horse.  As a moderator, I already got a modreport on this thread, so I can't separate my roles by commenting here.  I believe that all that can be said, has already been said, more than once, so let's just let it go.

Joe

Offline wolfter

« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2015, 07:46:44 pm »
It's as both.  Personally, I think some of you are beating a dead horse.  As a moderator, I already got a modreport on this thread, so I can't separate my roles by commenting here.  I believe that all that can be said, has already been said, more than once, so let's just let it go.

Joe
  ok

Offline wolfter

« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2015, 07:51:05 pm »

Joe
  ok

Yet I remember what was said just mere days ago.  ;0

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.